News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Another combo for it - drop 2 Grass energy, then send out Lurantis-GX and use Flower Supply for a quick Solar Blade setup

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
Discarding is not bad in Pokémon, it allows set ups with shaymin and octillery along with patches and seeker fodder. Crushing hammer is not as good as this. You would have to play at least 3 hammers in your deck which means you take up a few extra spots in your deck plus it is a coin flip, already a liability

Here's why it's bad:

1) If you have 2 cards in hand, you can't play it.

2) If you have 3 cards in hand, you just put yourself into top deck mode.

3) If you have 4 to 6 cards in hand, you SHOULDN'T play it, because of Delinquent.

4) Deck space is irrelevant, because if you are playing with energy denial, you are going to play 4 copies of whatever energy denial card you can fit in.

5) I'd rather discard 2 energies with 4 cards (Crushing Hammer average) than discard 4 energy with 12 cards over 4 turns that I don't get to play a draw supporter or another utility supporter. (Keep in mind that Sylveon GX decks DON'T want to discard stuff, because their end goal is to cause a deckout.)

6) With new archetypes revolving around having energy acceleration, discarding one energy per turn max is not helpful.

7) As stated earlier, if you REALLY need to discard cards, you can play an Ultra Ball (Or Skyla for an Ultra Ball).

8) Shaymin EX is likely rotating soon, which means bouncing back from the discards is harder.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Here's why it's bad:

3) If you have 4 to 6 cards in hand, you SHOULDN'T play it, because of Delinquent.

4) Deck space is irrelevant, because if you are playing with energy denial, you are going to play 4 copies of whatever energy denial card you can fit in.

5) I'd rather discard 2 energies with 4 cards (Crushing Hammer average) than discard 4 energy with 12 cards over 4 turns that I don't get to play a draw supporter or another utility supporter. (Keep in mind that Sylveon GX decks DON'T want to discard stuff, because their end goal is to cause a deckout.)

6) With new archetypes revolving around having energy acceleration, discarding one energy per turn max is not helpful.

7) As stated earlier, if you REALLY need to discard cards, you can play an Ultra Ball (Or Skyla for an Ultra Ball).

8) Shaymin EX is likely rotating soon, which means bouncing back from the discards is harder.

Quality elaboration~

I really like your comparison in number 5.
You're essentially trading 3 cards, including your supporter for the turn, to get rid of one energy.
This card slows you down, and can arguably be more detrimental to you, than your opponent.

While Oranguru can help you draw cards, it's ability caps at 3; which puts you in top-deck mode vs Delinquent.

I'm personally not seeing it's place here.
If you just want to discard cards, there are better options.
Misty's Determination, Ultra Ball, Sycamore/Psychic's Third Eye.​
If you just want to discard energy, there are better options.
Team Flare Grunt, Team Skull Grunt, Crushing/Enhanced Hammer​

Doubler300

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I still stand by the Ho-oh GX attack and pulling Incineroar GX from your discard to your bench. This card may help with that.

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
I still stand by the Ho-oh GX attack and pulling Incineroar GX from your discard to your bench. This card may help with that.

Why not just play an Ultra Ball to discard Incineroar GX and perhaps get your Ho-oh GX out at the same time? Now you can play a different supporter, like Kiawe to power up Ho-oh GX.

Scourge188

Aspiring Trainer
Here's why it's bad:

1) You bring up Deliquent a lot, why? It's not played in every deck. You seem very scared of the card as if it is meta defining which it is most definitely not

2) Crushing hammers are only played in energy denial decks, The supporter is a bit more splashable in other decks.

3) Shaymin is rotating but we still have octillery and of course Oranguru.

4) I don't think the card is going to define the meta or anything but it could be a solid one of in certain decks.

5) Crushing hammer average is 50/50 however you aren't guaranteed to always hit hammers at that average.

6) Sylveon is not that relevant,it was hyped and has yet to perform well at an event and with Metagross gaining some hype after performing I see even less threat from sylveon

Last edited:

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Plumeria also helps Energy powering decks (Yvetal, Volcanion) to discard energy to get back. And Ho-Oh's GX Attack. Yes between this and Team Flare Grunt, TFG is better. It has no cost, but the discarding could be beneficial.

You're missing the fat you can discard Energy from Benched Pokemon. In my Quad Pidgeot deck, this is huge. I now play 17 or so cards to discard Energy.

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
1) You bring up Deliquent a lot, why? It's not played in every deck. You seem very scared of the card as if it is meta defining which it is most definitely not

2) Crushing hammers are only played in energy denial decks, The supporter is a bit more splashable in other decks.

3) Shaymin is rotating but we still have octillery and of course Oranguru.

4) I don't think the card is going to define the meta or anything but it could be a solid one of in certain decks.

5) Crushing hammer average is 50/50 however you aren't guaranteed to always hit hammers at that average.

6) Sylveon is not that relevant,it was hyped and has yet to perform well at an event and with Metagross gaining some hype after performing I see even less threat from sylveon

1) Define "meta defining". If you mean that everyone plays it, then no, it isn't. But if you mean that EVERY SINGLE pro player plays around it if they can help it, then yes, it is. (Watch OmniPoke on youtube. Joe has secured his invite to worlds and he mentions playing around Delinquent at least once a game.)

2) Nobody in their right mind would play Plumeria to get stuff in the discard pile. Ultra Ball and Sycamore do that well enough on their own. This leaves playing it in energy denial decks, in which case, it plays second fiddle to Crushing Hammer.

3) Octillery is a pretty heavy tech. I don't doubt that it will see more play after Shaymin EX rotates, but if you have to make space for a 2-2 line for draw support, they you likely aren't teching in a one of supporter you get a one off energy discard and help you put stuff in the discard pile. Oranguru only gets you enough cards to play it, and then put yourself into top deck mode. If you play it as recovery, then you are still vulnerable to Delinquent.

4) Again, you have to have a decent reason to play it over the competition. If you want discards, Ultra Ball or Sycamore. If you want energy denial, then Crushing Hammer is better. Sure, there could be that one archetype that comes out that wants to discard stuff AND plays energy denial, or maybe in a couple years, all of our other energy denial and discard stuff rotates and doesn't get reprinted, but that doesn't exist right now, and there is no reason to expect that it will.

5) True enough, but find me the energy denial deck that wants to burn 12 cards to deny 4 energy, especially when it conflicts with Team Flare Grunt.

6) Sylveon was mentioned as an example of how energy denial decks work to show you why Plumeria is bad. Energy denial decks play the long game. Their goal is to prevent you from playing until you scoop or deck out. It's really hard to make your opponent scoop or deck out, when you have less cards then they do.

Scourge188

Aspiring Trainer
1) Define "meta defining". If you mean that everyone plays it, then no, it isn't. But if you mean that EVERY SINGLE pro player plays around it if they can help it, then yes, it is. (Watch OmniPoke on youtube. Joe has secured his invite to worlds and he mentions playing around Delinquent at least once a game.)

2) Nobody in their right mind would play Plumeria to get stuff in the discard pile. Ultra Ball and Sycamore do that well enough on their own. This leaves playing it in energy denial decks, in which case, it plays second fiddle to Crushing Hammer.

3) Octillery is a pretty heavy tech. I don't doubt that it will see more play after Shaymin EX rotates, but if you have to make space for a 2-2 line for draw support, they you likely aren't teching in a one of supporter you get a one off energy discard and help you put stuff in the discard pile. Oranguru only gets you enough cards to play it, and then put yourself into top deck mode. If you play it as recovery, then you are still vulnerable to Delinquent.

4) Again, you have to have a decent reason to play it over the competition. If you want discards, Ultra Ball or Sycamore. If you want energy denial, then Crushing Hammer is better. Sure, there could be that one archetype that comes out that wants to discard stuff AND plays energy denial, or maybe in a couple years, all of our other energy denial and discard stuff rotates and doesn't get reprinted, but that doesn't exist right now, and there is no reason to expect that it will.

5) True enough, but find me the energy denial deck that wants to burn 12 cards to deny 4 energy, especially when it conflicts with Team Flare Grunt.

6) Sylveon was mentioned as an example of how energy denial decks work to show you why Plumeria is bad. Energy denial decks play the long game. Their goal is to prevent you from playing until you scoop or deck out. It's really hard to make your opponent scoop or deck out, when you have less cards then they do.

1) You literally said EVERY Pro player plays around it, you only mention 2 players. I assume you must know all the pro players and if that is the case then I'm sorry for my feeble way of thinking. Otherwise, I am not doubting that is a good card. Also people in general won't put them selves into a spot where they rely on a small amount of cards in hand.

2) No body in their right mind? You must think very highly of yourself. Aside from that, of course ultra ball and sycamore are better, that's obvious. Though I still see her only in energy denial decks.

3) Octillery being a tech is up in the air until post rotation, though he is strong and in a slower meta, even better. You wouldn't Oranguru to play her, that was in reference to Deliquent.

4) Energy denial is already a bad archetype at the moment, garb tears that type apart. She could be played as a one of because of Garb fear

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
1) You literally said EVERY Pro player plays around it, you only mention 2 players. I assume you must know all the pro players and if that is the case then I'm sorry for my feeble way of thinking. Otherwise, I am not doubting that is a good card. Also people in general won't put them selves into a spot where they rely on a small amount of cards in hand.

2) No body in their right mind? You must think very highly of yourself. Aside from that, of course ultra ball and sycamore are better, that's obvious. Though I still see her only in energy denial decks.

3) Octillery being a tech is up in the air until post rotation, though he is strong and in a slower meta, even better. You wouldn't Oranguru to play her, that was in reference to Deliquent.

4) Energy denial is already a bad archetype at the moment, garb tears that type apart. She could be played as a one of because of Garb fear

First off, I'd like to say:
There's no need to mock/insult the person you're debating with.
I've learned over time, that it does nothing but muddy your point.

Secondly, you've yet to prove why this card should be played...
You preach of it's viability, yet close your statement with "Energy denial is bad."

No offense, but you come of sounding like a very inexperienced player.

We have nearly all our viable energy removal still in standard, and field blower to knock of things like EXP. Share.
It's a valid strategy, but one that uses a lot of deck slots.
I personally feel like this Plumeria simply doesn't make the cut.

Something to consider:
With VS Seeker rotating, you can't discard your supporters as freely.
Also, Puzzle may take it's place, which allows you to retrieve hammers.