News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

It's a bit far stretched to call this the first Charizard in ages. 2 Charizard in Evolutions and 1 in Generations all in the last year and a half. Excluding the Evolutions prints the most recent Darkrais and Charizard have been about equally spaced out.

As a preface to the following analysis, no I do not believe we will ever be seeing Charizard GX topping a large scale major tournament (barring some insane in set support that doesn't just make Volcanion the better option), but as far as horribly overpriced Charizard attacks go this one isn't nearly the most difficult to play. Amongst things like Kiawe, Turtonator GX, and Rayquaza GRI you have options recycle the energy onto Charizard GX(s) and keep a steady rate of play. Not a cintended for world's deck, but certainly something manageable for someone who just wants to play Charizard.

Also, bear in mind that we've yet to see the inevitable non-GX Charizard in SM3+ so hold out your hopes there. Maybe it will have Inferno Fandango as an Ability and screw the game up royally.

Also, let's try to remember that Charizard did get to see competitive viability back in the Fall of 2015 with the Entei/Charizard EX deck that saw success in Cities as an Yveltal counter.

It's a bit far stretched to call this the first Charizard in ages. 2 Charizard in Evolutions and 1 in Generations all in the last year and a half. Excluding the Evolutions prints the most recent Darkrais and Charizard have been about equally spaced out.

As a preface to the following analysis, no I do not believe we will ever be seeing Charizard GX topping a large scale major tournament (barring some insane in set support that doesn't just make Volcanion the better option), but as far as horribly overpriced Charizard attacks go this one isn't nearly the most difficult to play. Amongst things like Kiawe, Turtonator GX, and Rayquaza GRI you have options recycle the energy onto Charizard GX(s) and keep a steady rate of play. Not a cintended for world's deck, but certainly something manageable for someone who just wants to play Charizard.

Also, bear in mind that we've yet to see the inevitable non-GX Charizard in SM3+ so hold out your hopes there. Maybe it will have Inferno Fandango as an Ability and screw the game up royally.

Also, let's try to remember that Charizard did get to see competitive viability back in the Fall of 2015 with the Entei/Charizard EX deck that saw success in Cities as an Yveltal counter.

Clearly you're unfamiliar with sarcasm. ;p

I actually like this thing's GX attack. 10 cards is a lot. It could potentially steal a game or two as a finisher. I just wish there were a better non-GX Charizard to go with it. I guess the Generations one could be worse, but still...

I think it should be possible to attach Burn Energy but I'm not sure. It says Fire Energy Card, not basic, but recently I discovered that you can't discard Strong Energies with
Scorched Earth Stadium in PTCGO, so it may be because of the name or something., but if you can't, Kiawe makes your turn end not letting you do 300 damage each turn anyways.

Unfortunately, you can't attach Burning Energy with Kiawe.

Firstly, Burning Energy is a Special Energy. Secondly, it only counts as a [R] Energy when it's attached to a Pokémon. So, when it's in the deck it's not a [R] Energy card and can't be searched I'm afraid.

I think how it has something to do that in Japan, they sure dooo loove Gardevoir. ;) If you get my drift, lol.

That's probably it! I get that, but come on, even they have to know that enough is enough right? ;)

I like the Charizard card btw. I guess this set is gonna be the big one in the Sun & Moon series when it comes to future collectors value. The FlashFire of the next gen. Can't wait to pick up a few boxes!

Last edited:
Love the GX attack! Milling cards are very effective for limiting the use of overdrawing cards like Professor Sycamore in meta-decks. Althought, I am not sure what other milling cards there are introduced in sun and moon that can make a deck with this?

Hmm...I feel like I've seen this Charizard before..Those attacks feel so familiar! Maybe it's just my imagination but I really can't help but feel like I've seen some cards JUST like this! I sure do wonder... ;)

I think it should be possible to attach Burn Energy but I'm not sure. It says Fire Energy Card, not basic, but recently I discovered that you can't discard Strong Energies with
Scorched Earth Stadium in PTCGO, so it may be because of the name or something., but if you can't, Kiawe makes your turn end not letting you do 300 damage each turn anyways.
That's because all special energy only provide that energy while attached to a pokemon

There is a chance that the Charizard GX in the box we are getting will be completely different, because it is confirmed to have the Crimson Storm GX attack, which this charizrd does not have

You maybe could even play it with sol burst to get 3-4 burning energy on charizard and play vileplume so the opponent can't e-hammer the special energy away

Uggggghggghhgughh. At least the GX attack is trolly. When are we getting an Alolan Marowak GX? Burning Shadows? Alolan Marowak? Anyways, like the article descripts, a typical Charizard card. Overpriced attacks and it's damage probably is less than what a certain Garbodor can do anyways :p
EDIT: Ho Oh GX+Houndoom EX+Charizard GX wacky mill deck?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys has anybody forgotten about Kiawe and Rare Candy! Yes It's still not great but you can have some some solid chip damage from wing attack then Lysandre up a benched ex that is set up and ohko it with Crimson Storm. Now you slowly chip again with wing attack because their Pokemon with the setup got knocked out and after this you Raging Out GX and make it so your opponent can't win. We also do have baby Volcanion, and baby Rayquaza for energy acceleration
Like this post if you agree

Ok, who said that the first attack was going to be wing attack and do 70 damage? You're a god.

No you can not get burn energys woth kewie
Its says 4 fire energys not 4 energys. Burn energys are not considered fire energys until they are attached to a fire type pokemon. If a burn energy is in ur hand deck or discard it is typed as a colorless energy. Same goes for all special type energys.

Burning Energies are this thing's best friend. If you manage to get 3 of them on the guy you pretty much nuke everything. I may be tempted to try running this with that stadium that boosts HP of stage 1/2s alongside Butterfree to keep it alive. Not competitively viable, but could be fun!

Um, I don't think you'll have an easy time getting more than 2 burning energy on him, keeping them on him (enhanced hammer), and not still have to discard energy

Welp I was hoping this Charizard would be good. To bad, again with the same "TONS OF ENERGY FOR BIG DMG. AND DISCARD 'EM ALL". At least the GX is nice.

The fact that all of its attacks can be powered up with Double Colorless Energy means that it's slightly more playable. Another pro is that it's Crimson Storm attack only discards 3 fire energies and not 5 or all fire energies like previous Charizards.
It's final pro is it's Raging Out GX attack which significantly mills an opponent's deck meaning it just might be used in a mill deck.

The scariest thing about this Charizard is that if proper fire energy acceleration comes into the meta (especially something along the lines of Emboar from Black & White with the ability Inferno Fandango, which allowed you to attach as many fire energies from your hand as you liked), This Charizard could become quite a threat with both it's 300-damage move and it's mill GX attack.

Back