News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Might see play, as the old Gyarados did in the DP era. I believe the Full Retaliation Gyarados/Magma Base will be better until the end of the season, but in the 17-18 format this Gyarados might shine more.

Dark Raid is really interesting. I'm glad they're doing stuff like this with GX attacks.

Gyarados is one of those cards that look somehow playable, people will burn their brain thinking about a way to make it work, but in the end it's only a gimmicky card that will never work.

Gyarados is not that good. For the first attack, it will be difficult to have all 3 Magikarps in the discard pile and, if that happens, when your active Gyarados is knocked out you don't have a way to have another one next turn. Second attack is decent with Mr. Mime or something like that, but it's pretty expensive.

Darkrai is a card too dependant on the meta. If everyone uses GX attacks, then it will be a good option.

Gyarados greatly misses old Broken Time-Space. With that it can even be top-tier I think.

I like Darkai. When someone used GX attack, he can't deny that the whole game)

Better than other Magikarp! Also, you could pull off a ridiculous combo by using the second attack onto two magikarp with fighting fury belt, retreating next turn, and then hitting for 300+ with 5 on each (2 because of Team Magmas)

God that Gyarados artwork is gorgeous! I would have tried to use it just for the look of the card but the attack is going to be great too. A big throwback to Tail Revenge Gyarados (which I also loved) - can't wait to build a deck around this.

Also, 150 HP for a non-EX/GX Stage 1 is very good (unless you're Wailord) and an improvement on the recent Gyarados prints.

MY EVALUATIONS
  • Magikarp -
  • Gyarados - Pretty decent! 150 + Choice Band + Kukui = 200 defenitely a OHKO on some big GX/EX today. The problem is Karen, lack of back up atkrs, Magikarps in the prizeland. So I'll give it 2-3 Geodudes. Derium will love to see his "Garados"!
  • Darkrai - I love it.... A bit. Some Opponents use a GX attack in the early game like Solgaleo's Sol Burst, Sylveon's Plea, and Drampa's Big Wheel. Not bad. 3 Geodudes for this "7-Prize" Pokemon. Both Darkrais in Burning Shadows?? How intense. The regular and the GX

@Mr. Rhyperior How many Geodudes do you give Magikarp though? I'd say 5, surely.

Honestly I think this gyarados give a slight hope to the full retaliation Gyarados deck to beat Decidueye GX. A matchup wich is curemtly an auto loss for the big fish

I like the gyrados, but unless we get a battle compressor sort of item, nah.

That's what I was thinking. Building a deck around this Gyrados would have 2 issues:

> Getting 3 magikarps into the discard pile w/o Battle Compressor
> Once Gyrados is knocked out, you can't set up a 2nd one because all of your Magikarps are in the discard pile. You could put them back in the deck w/SuperRod, but then you gotta discard them all again for the attack to be effective. Seems like a lot of work to get up to a possible 180 damage, especially with GX's running around @ 240HP and EX's with bands up over 200.

OMG They reprinted the Gyardos Card from Storm Front.... well kind of.

Storm Front Gyarados only did 30 X the number of magikarps in the discard pile, however, that Gyarados could attack for zero energy since its attack cost was holed out like Alolan Grimer and Alolan Vulpix's attacks.
better get all 4 Magikarp's and a Gyarados in the discard pile to get max damage with archies ace in the hole ;)

The Diamond and Pearl sets also had good card discard cards like Felicity's drawing, which is a slightly better version of the Sophocles card which we will get in our upcoming Burning Shadows expansion with Aceroller.
Felicity's drawing gave you the option to discard 1 or 2 cards from hand, then you drew 3 or 4 cards depending on how many you discarded. Sophocles just says discard 2 cards and draw 4.
But Hey! Gyarados players will be running 4 copies of Sophocles when the cards release.

I'm not sure we're allowed to post links to other sites, but I highly recommend people look on google at the 2010 world winning "Happy Luck" deck, which was a Gyarados deck, that relied on the storm front sabeleye, to go first and set up.
Its a shame broken time space is gone, because that was the card that made the deck good.

My initial thought would be:
Add it as a one or two of in the current Gyarados deck.

But... could also be fun to throw in Vespiquen~

GYARADOS LIVES AGAIN! This is actually amazing because the thing that really hurts Gyarados is Magikarps getting sniped from the bench. This also allows Gyarados to have a much freer bench and a better overall stadium, like Brooklet Hill.

edit:

BTW they's a slight error...

Stage 1 – Evolves from Gyarados

People bashing gyrados apparently forgot what mew EX does in expanded you could be doing 210 with ffb after a archie and if you dont shoot for that 180 is good as well ad the fact that you could use the attack for one energy with dimension vally it could be amother good Deck to add to expanded. And in standard it works as well just not as strong without battle compressor

God that Gyarados artwork is gorgeous! I would have tried to use it just for the look of the card but the attack is going to be great too. A big throwback to Tail Revenge Gyarados (which I also loved) - can't wait to build a deck around this.

Also, 150 HP for a non-EX/GX Stage 1 is very good (unless you're Wailord) and an improvement on the recent Gyarados prints.

@Mr. Rhyperior How many Geodudes do you give Magikarp though? I'd say 5, surely.
Oh, the Magikarp? Nah, just 3, unless the Golden Karp rotates, but it's too far to happen, I guess or it'll be changed due to the A stuff.

Tips if you plan to build this deck: Bring your own Town Map, Rotom Dex, Rescue Stretcher or Super Rod, if you want to put all 3 Magikarps into the discard pile.

Back