News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
I was hoping for a Darkness-type Alolan Grimer/Muk sometime, didn't think it would be this soon. That first attack though... yeesh. Especially scary with the Alolan Muk we already have.

George

Plays 4 Ultra Ball in Every Deck
Well, Typhlosion/Ho-oh GX? use Ho-oh to get out Typhlosion Turn 1, and use Pokedex and Malow to get at least 2 or more Fire Energies on top? (reply if you guys think this idea might be good...)

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
Well, Typhlosion/Ho-oh GX? use Ho-oh to get out Typhlosion Turn 1, and use Pokedex and Malow to get at least 2 or more Fire Energies on top? (reply if you guys think this idea might be good...)
Typhlosion isn't a GX/EX.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
I think the other Alolan Grimer from SM1 is better. Not that it really matters, but if you ever are put in a situation where you have to attack with Grimer for some reason, poison is better than just searching out another Grimer. Most decks only play a 1-1 or a 2-2 line of Alolan Muk at most, and even then, most decks play Garbodor BKP anyways. However, in terms of art, I like the new one more. And it's a dark type, which is cool I guess.

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
I think Ho-oh GX is pretty underrated. It's not like we don't have any decent Fire acceleration. (Baby Volc, Max Elixir, Turtonator GX)

180 is an OHKO on most basics. Add a Choice Band or a Steam Up and we OHKO most Stage 1s. Add both or 2 Steam Ups, and we OHKO almost everything.

Alternatively, we can give Ho-oh a FFB, boosting it's HP to 230, and swinging for 190 (OHKO on all basics except Wishiwashi GX and Wailord EX in expanded). One Steam up gets us 220, 2 gets us 250, the current HP cap.

Heck, in between Phoenix Burns, we can soften up problem Pokes with Sacred Fire.

The GX attack is highly dependent on whether or not we get a good Charizard GX (or another fire type GX in the future), though, Volcanion EX probably wouldn't mind the free search.

Finally, weakness to Lightning makes Ho-oh a good tech in Volcanion just to counter Water Box, Ninetails, and other Volc decks.

The only way I see Necrozma GX working is with Metagross GX, unless we get some new Psychic Energy acceleration. Sure, it can wall Mega Ray, Drampa, and Tauros, but Mega Ray plays Hex, and Drampa and Tauros are usually partners for other types.

postmodern_pinko

So postmodern
Necrozma-GX + Honchkrow from Guardians Rising. 3 EX-GXs and you immediately blow the HP cap out of the water lmao.

I can also see Necrozma in decks that specifically fear M-Ray, sort of like Aegislash-EX for ah, decks that escape me atm.

Ho-Oh-GX will be good. It's frankly silly to write it off so quickly when it's so painfully obvious what's coming. I mean, it's probably easier to pull off than an Archie's/Maxie's since it doesn't need a whole engine built around it. And you get up to three so, in my eyes, lower risk, higher reward than an already well played archetype.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
I think Ho-oh GX is pretty underrated. It's not like we don't have any decent Fire acceleration. (Baby Volc, Max Elixir, Turtonator GX)

180 is an OHKO on most basics. Add a Choice Band or a Steam Up and we OHKO most Stage 1s. Add both or 2 Steam Ups, and we OHKO almost everything.

Alternatively, we can give Ho-oh a FFB, boosting it's HP to 230, and swinging for 190 (OHKO on all basics except Wishiwashi GX and Wailord EX in expanded). One Steam up gets us 220, 2 gets us 250, the current HP cap.

Heck, in between Phoenix Burns, we can soften up problem Pokes with Sacred Fire.

The GX attack is highly dependent on whether or not we get a good Charizard GX (or another fire type GX in the future), though, Volcanion EX probably wouldn't mind the free search.

Finally, weakness to Lightning makes Ho-oh a good tech in Volcanion just to counter Water Box, Ninetails, and other Volc decks.

The only way I see Necrozma GX working is with Metagross GX, unless we get some new Psychic Energy acceleration. Sure, it can wall Mega Ray, Drampa, and Tauros, but Mega Ray plays Hex, and Drampa and Tauros are usually partners for other types.

I like your optimism towards the new Ho-Oh~
I was thinking about trying it out in Volcanion, but it seems like a "win-more" card.

The reason I say this, is because:
Volcanion already doesn't have trouble OHKOing.
130 + Choice Band + Steam-Up = 190

Which, as you stated, will kill most basics.

What's important to think about, is what it means for Ho-Ohs attack to cost 1 more energy.
This is an additional attachment or energy to accelerate.
That's one turn behind, and/or one less steam-up.

With that one energy, you could swing for 220, instead of 190... which... I think kills anything that's relevant in the meta, except Lapras + FFB, but that's just one additional steam up on a card that's already kind of slow setting up.
Especially since Decidueye and Solgaleo are already weak to fire.

and there's almost no situation in which I would want to use Ho-Oh's GX attack over Turtonator's.
Especially since:
1. Pokemon Stretcher is a thing.
2. Oricorio does the same thing, but it's from the deck, isn't limited to EXs and GXs, and doesn't use your once per game GX attack.​

There's already a lot of cards competing to get into the Volcanion deck (ex. Starmie), and I just don't see this card offering enough to warrant a spot.

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
That is the worst GX attack ever on Ho oh GX
I prefer better like Solgaleo GX, Tapu Koko GX, or Tapu Lele GX

Necrozma I see broken (not really) Ultra beasts in the TCG isn't something I expected.

I see they made the Gx attack not more than 100, so no Shaymin snipe.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Well we don't know that for sure, If Charizard-GX is playable then this might be very good. We don't know yet but until then we can assume either or. Ive learned not to assume the best or worst, based on other Charizard UR's, they haven't been that good, but it could be good! We'll find out rather soon

Yeah but then you can't use those GX attacks since you're burning it to get those mons into play. I don't mind that though. I just wonder how they plan on balancing fire types because of that GX move?