Japan's March Set: 'Rebellion Crash,' Plus Toxtricity V, Charizard VMAX, Grimmsnarl VMAX!

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
"The first is a Pokemon V with an Ability that activates when you play it from your hand to your Bench."

"staple"

Time for another Shaymin/Lele/Jirachi/Dededene type card!

Clam

Almost decent
So new denende/tapu lele?
also guzma please
ok so does this mean type specific special energy will return?

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
1. Ban supporters on Turn 1
2. Release a Pokemon with a supporter effect
3. Release Quick Ball to make it absolutely broken
4. Profit

Hopefully the new Gust hits only V/GX. Being unpullable without gimmicky Counter Catchers is the one this 1-prizers have.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
The GX/EX with powerful coming into play abilities have usually been the smaller/cuter non-evolving kind of Pokemon...maybe Falinks?

Dragapult V is Psychic instead of Dragon...really curious to see what happened to Dragon.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Are we expecting Dreepy in the set since all Vs are basics so maybe the pre evo will be dumped?Toxel s well?

Looks Dragon are being dumped as well

EpicShonenGuy

Aspiring Trainer
can I get Strong Energy for Psychic and Lightning pls
No, psychic pokemon have very strong attacks and people play it in malamar decks, so getting energy consistently is easy and that has been proved already and lightning pokemon have electro power, thunder mountain and tapu koko prism star, so that request is so over the top it could literally break the entire expanded and standard format metagame. It would lead to unpleasent and unnecessary bans that no one asked for.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
No, psychic pokemon have very strong attacks and people play it in malamar decks, so getting energy consistently is easy and that has been proved already and lightning pokemon have electro power, thunder mountain and tapu koko prism star, so that request is so over the top it could literally break the entire expanded and standard format metagame, it would lead to unpleasent and unnecessary bans that no one asked for.

The whole it would break the metagame and warrants a ban thing doesnt make much sense. Wouldn't an electric special energy like that with pikarom be like buzzwole gx? Easy to get energy and some damage boost. Did that get banned? Nope. Some extra damage doesnt warrant a ban. What does is stuff like causing infinite loops, removing win cons, stopping your opponent from playing the game, being able to cheat evolution in an op way, etc. That wouldn’t do any of those things.

Nyora

A Cat
No, psychic pokemon have very strong attacks and people play it in malamar decks, so getting energy consistently is easy and that has been proved already and lightning pokemon have electro power, thunder mountain and tapu koko prism star, so that request is so over the top it could literally break the entire expanded and standard format metagame. It would lead to unpleasent and unnecessary bans that no one asked for.
Like Psychic types of all things need something of that kind. Ban Dimensional Valley, then we may talk.
Out of the past 3 Expanded tournaments, only 1 of the 3 top 8s (so 24 different decks) used Dimension Valley, Mewtwo & Mew GX. Neither NM nor MewMew nor any other psychic rogue decks have had success rates so high to warrant a ban on Dimension Valley. I don't honestly think a Psychic Strong Energy would be too impactful to these decks as well as +20 is honestly super low when you consider that the low cost attacks it'd be used with probably don't have the highest damage amounts. Maybe NM FAC Mew with that and D Valley idk lol.

Neither a Psychic nor Lightning Strong Energy would "break" the Expanded meta. Have a big impact, like any good card? Yeah, but it won't "break" it. Even Zoroninja, whom everyone though was so busted and broken and destined to win, didn't even have a spot in T8 at Dallas. Now, this could be argued by saying that counterdecks were the reason it didn't fair so well, and well you'd be half-right. Expanded is at the point where unless something is actually broken (in which case it's probably actually banned), there are so many ways to play around it, with the best decks being the ones that are least expected, most powerful, have the least counterplay, and even maybe have some counterplay to their counterplay.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I'm not saying it would break the format (just as much as Welder didn't break expanded despite being utter nonsense in standard) but this kind of unwarranted support just makes me shake my head. Psychic is already one of the most supported types in the game, and with the upcoming shift from Fairy to Psychic, is about to receive heavy ammounts of support that would originally go to Fairy. Why not support Grass, Dark or Steel?

At the end of the day, tho, it's arguing on circles. I heavily dislike the support Psychic-type Pokémon have gotten in the TCG, someone may hate Welder and think that Fire doesn't deserve good support for the rest of this era, someone may hate Water from the Deluge days and simply want everything that makes Water good gone forever. It's different play-styles, favorite types and favorite mons which will make you think badly/good about specific type support.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
How many Charizard Vmax do you think we'll get in total over the course of the SwSh era?

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Just curious: is there a reason for the images of pack arts from Japan’s Forbidden Light, Thunderclap Spark, and Dark Order?

I’m trying to think of a link between those and the upcoming set, but I’m honestly drawing a blank... haha

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
These are my guesses for what the two hype cards might look like:

Emolga V - Lightning - 160HP
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Fly High
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may discard a Supporter card from your hand. If you do, use the effect of that card as the effect of this ability. You can't use more than 1 Fly High Ability each turn.

[C] Bounce 30
Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [F] -30
Retreat: 1

Oleana
Supporter

Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Emolga V is basically a Lt. Surge that requires you to use a bench spot to use it (instead of being behind on prizes) and with Oleana in format, it makes it a bit more of a risk than it would now in UPR-SSH. Of course Emolga being the representative is entirely a guess (it's just my favorite pikaclone), but something with this effect could be any one of the small, adorable, and especially squishy Pokémon. This effect cutting through the turn 1 Supporter rule would make it a core staple in all decks (as per the hype), but could be potent enough that it would be preemptively banned in Expanded. It's possible they could also limit an effect like this to only be usable if you haven't used a Supporter card during your turn, but that would drastically drop the utility of the card.

What I call Oleana could just as easily be Chairman Rose, but I think they might save the Chairman for some other effect. Guzma was just insanely potent and a little too useful. I don't think they'll reuse that effect and are much more likely to use the Lysandre-style gusting effect like I've included for the theoretical Oleana.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Just curious: is there a reason for the images of pack arts from Japan’s Forbidden Light, Thunderclap Spark, and Dark Order?

I’m trying to think of a link between those and the upcoming set, but I’m honestly drawing a blank... haha

This is just a guess but maybe it'll be similar in set size to those three?

fleshrum

Cephalophore
people are talking about banning, and not realizing how many amazing card designs are just "shined" out of the format with EXGXVXBXTXXwhatever. It is really annoying.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Are we expecting Dreepy in the set since all Vs are basics so maybe the pre evo will be dumped?Toxel s well?

Looks Dragon are being dumped as well
Don't jump to conclusions. If Dragon were axed as well I don't see why they wouldn't have said so in the same announcement.