Japan's March Set: 'Rebellion Crash,' Plus Toxtricity V, Charizard VMAX, Grimmsnarl VMAX!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Nice, Toxtricity and Grimmsnarl are two of my favorites this gen. Still waiting on Hatterene, though...

(Also wow, Charizard's V-MAX going in a deck? That's something I didn't expect to see. I figured they'd make it a main set thing, but hey I'm not complaining. Here's hoping for some good artwork on them all).

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
The Q is... are these Vs Basic Pokémon because if they're not, Things like Charizard will be straight up unplayable because its Stage 3.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Charizard V would be a Basic Pokemon and Charizard VMAX is its evolution (essentially a Stage 1). See the English Pokemon V and VMAX reveals here:
https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/11/p...ards-meowth-v-max-special-collection-revealed
That's assuming that Pokemon-V who are evolved Pokemon are all going to be Basics. Every Pokemon-V we've gotten so far doesn't evolve into anything and I'm pretty sure they haven't stated that all Pokemon-V are basics yet, so it's not quite safe to assume that the fully evolved ones are going to be Basics quite yet. We'll see when VMAX Rising comes out I guess. I can see it making sense either way, and it's probably going to go the way you mention it going, as it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint(going up to essentially stage 3 would be rough for a lot of Pokemon if they ended up doing this), but Pokemon isn't predictable, so I'm still holding out to see which way it goes.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
So glad we getting the charizard VMAX early so we get get Leon's charizard VMAX,Golden charizard VMAX, and charizard VMAX the forbidden one before the end of the SS era

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
These three are all in my top five Gigantamax 'mons this gen. Excited to see them in card form.

EDIT: Just realized it doesn't actually say anything about Toxtricity VMAX. Shame.

MegaSnorlax

Card Eater
Toxtricity is one of those new pokes that I hated at first, but now love. There's something about him that is dorky and lovable, beneath his "I'm trying really hard to look cool" exterior.

And despite the backlash from fans about Gigantamax Charizard (mainly because Blastoise and Venusaur just don't exist yet), I still really like the design and would like to collect him.

Also, if it's true that we are going to be syncing up with Japan's releases, that is hype as hell. Takes a lot of the fun out of a set when you know what's coming. Edit: Seems I misunderstood this and we're going back to having a big delay gap.

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Toxtricity is one of those new pokes that I hated at first, but now love. There's something about him that is dorky and lovable, beneath his "I'm trying really hard to look cool" exterior.
I think he might be my favorite Pokémon this entire generation (him and Hatterene). The second I saw him during the leak cycle I fell in love, I just loved that smug look and the design. His ability also looks really fun too. He’s totally dorky but there’s also this really cool look it has, kinda gives me Garchomp vibes in a weird way. A lot of gen 8s designs I really love honestly, they really stepped it up this time around and it’s SwSh’s only real saving grace.

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
So we're going back to having cards announced 4 months ahead of the west, and released 2/3 months ahead? Kinda sucky.

MegaSnorlax

Card Eater
I think he might be my favorite Pokémon this entire generation (him and Hatterene). The second I saw him during the leak cycle I fell in love, I just loved that smug look and the design. His ability also looks really fun too. He’s totally dorky but there’s also this really cool look it has, kinda gives me Garchomp vibes in a weird way. A lot of gen 8s designs I really love honestly, they really stepped it up this time around and it’s SwSh’s only real saving grace.
I roasted the hell out of the games, but at the end of the day I still picked up Shield because I just really loved some of the new designs. Most of them are absolutely on-point with the only true "miss" for me being Blipbug, and the fact that we only got 3 legends. I also happen to love pretty much all of the Gigantamax forms although I sympathize with the people who are angry at Megas being dead (they should have seen this coming, though).

MegaSnorlax

Card Eater
Charizard V would be a Basic Pokemon and Charizard VMAX is its evolution (essentially a Stage 1). See the English Pokemon V and VMAX reveals here:
https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/11/p...ards-meowth-v-max-special-collection-revealed
Sorry for the awkward ping here, but what does Japan's return to its' monthly schedule mean? Were they simply delaying their products so that the West could catch up a little bit? Does your theory about Western releases happening on the same day as the last of the Japanese releases for the combined set still hold, erm...water?

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
SUPER EXCITED FOR TOXTRICITY-VMAX <3 it's my favorite Gigantamax form ahhhhh

Other than that, pretty surprising Charizard VMAX isn't the set mascot O: I assume this means that the FA Charziard/Grimmsnarl-V and Rainbow Charizard/Grimmsnarl-VMAX cards will be in the main set, along with probably Leon FA and maybe Sonia FA? I hope it'll be like that at least lol

Last edited:

Cati

Aspiring Trainer
Those V-Max deck packages looking like a snack if I do say so myself
UWu

softsoph

Aspiring Trainer
The new cards are very nice but it somehow makes me anxious that they're returning to monthly releases again after February. I was hoping they'd slow down a bit.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Sorry for the awkward ping here, but what does Japan's return to its' monthly schedule mean? Were they simply delaying their products so that the West could catch up a little bit? Does your theory about Western releases happening on the same day as the last of the Japanese releases for the combined set still hold, erm...water?
They've been releasing monthly sets for a long time, but stopped with this new generation. So far the theory is that this is because they're letting us play catch up, which would happen in February when our first SwSh set releases. Now as we can see, starting in February in Japan, they're going to have monthly releases again it seems. So yes, the theory has been holding water to the letter.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
There's no way we're getting synced card releases because the 17 V cards mentioned in the Sword and Shield TCG page are all accounted for in the V-Starter Sets and the japanese Sword and Shield set, same for the 4 V-Max Pokemon.