Contest January 2019 CaC: Artificial Pokémon! (Results Up!)

Text-Based Results

Judge: @VioletValkyrie

Opening Thoughts:
To start this one off I want to once again say that I was excited to use the theme of Artificial Pokémon for a CaC competition and I’m glad I can put more work into a competition and judge once again. I think my thoughts really vary on this bunch, and I certainly wasn’t expecting to see many repeat Pokémon. As always check entries specifically for what I think about them, and I’ve done my best to include references for your wording errors. Some of you seemed to have some basic and common wording errors, and I recommend for all of you to look over your entries before submitting them in the future. With that, thank you for being patient! Here are my thoughts.

(When I went through for formatting Vi's post, I c/p'd each individual entry into its respective results spoiler. However, as c/p'ing on the forums doesn't preserve formatting like bolding, italics, etc, and I didn't have the patience to manually fix it for all the entries, those are not present. Sorry. <3 ~~Jabber)

XD001 GX/Basic/ HP:170 /Psychic
[C][P][P]Blackout Breakdown: 40+
If this attack is not Super Effective, this attack does 40 damage plus 110 more.
[C][D][P][P][P]Lugia’s Lunacy GX: 200-
Choose one of your Benched Pokémon and one of your opponent’s. Both of them are Knocked Out. For every Basic Pokémon knocked out this way, subtract 10 damage from this attack, every Stage 1, 20, and every Stage 2 40. Only take prize cards if the Opposing Pokémon is knocked out with this Attack.(You can’t use more than 1 GX Attack per game.)
———GX Rule: When 1 of your Pokémon-GX is Knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Fairy 4x
Resistance: N/A
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

===

Creativity: (14/20)
I do really like the concept for the ability, as the closest we’ve seen is just attacks that do more damage to Pokémon of a specific type, or those with a specific weakness, not one without a weakness to the attacking type.
While the GX attack is certainly unique, I’m not sure I quite understand it?

Wording: (0/15)
“[C][P][P]” -> “[P][P][C]”, “[C][D][P][P][P]” -> “[P][P][P][D][C]”, -2 pts (Energy costs are always listed as coloured energy first, and then from most to least energy of that type required.)
“If this attack is not Super Effective, this attack does 40 damage plus 110 more.” -> If the Defending Pokémon's Weakness isn't [P], this attack does 110 more damage., -2 pts (“Super Effective” isn’t a term used in the TCG.)
“Choose one of your Benched Pokémon and one of your opponent’s. Both of them are Knocked Out.” -> “Choose 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If you do, choose one of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. Those Pokémon are now knocked out.” -2 pts
“For every Basic Pokémon knocked out this way, subtract 10 damage from this attack, every Stage 1, 20, and every Stage 2 40.” -> “This attack does 10 less damage for each Basic Pokémon knocked out in this way. This attack does 20 less damage for each Stage 1 Pokémon Knocked Out in this way. This attack does 40 less damage for each Stage 2 Pokémon Knocked Out in this way.” -6 pts (-2 pts ea.)
“Only take prize cards if the Opposing Pokémon is knocked out with this Attack. “ -> “Each player only takes Prize Cards if the Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out this way.” -2 pts
“(You can’t use more than 1 GX Attack per game.)” should be italicized. -1pt

Believability: (4/15)
It’s certainly unique, though unfortunately I think things like the GX attack and its Fairy weakness make it hard to understand. The term “Super Effective” doesn’t exist in the TCG, and I had to read the GX attack a few times to understand what you were trying to go for. While you say Fairy is often symbolic of light I can’t really agree with that, especially in the context of the TCG. It simply seems like speculation and trying to stretch out your creativity when it’s not necessary.
An effort was made to balance the GX attack, though it made the attack harder to understand and extremely difficult to word properly.

Final Thoughts:
I couldn’t exactly source references for this one, because these issues are all general, such as the energy costs and the existence of the term “super effective”. I would highly suggest checking references before finalizing your entry next time.
This card feels like a lot of ideas thrown together, though none of them checked for being worded properly or being something believable as you’d see on a real card.

Final Score: 18/50

[Stage 2] Porygon-Z [C] HP150
Evolves from Porygon2

Ability: Glitch in the Matrix
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may use this Ability. As often as you like during this turn, you may put any Stage 1 or Stage 2 card on any of your other Pokémon to evolve them. If a Pokémon put into play in this way would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead. You can use this Ability during your first turn or on a Pokémon that was put into play this turn.

[C][C][C] Blue Pill 90
The opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

Weakness: [F]x2
Resistance: -
Retreat: [C][C]
Its programming was modified to enable work in alien dimensions. It did not work as planned.

===

Creativity: (17/20)
This ability is fantastic. I’m glad you explained the idea behind the ability being a one-turn Ditto Prism Star as that helped me understand it a lot better.
The idea of completely “glitching” your deck’s evolution process is exactly something I wanted to see from an artificial Pokémon like this and works fantastically with a Pokémon like Z. Well done!
Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for the attack, its simplicity feeling out of place on a card with such a complex ability.

Wording: (14/15)
“The opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.” -> “Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Asleep.” (Jigglypuff - Lost Thunder, 133/214) -1 pt

Believability: (0/15)
While I love the creativity of the ability, I’m not sure it’s something that could ever properly be balanced. A large problem with big prevalent Stage 1 or 2 attackers currently is that their Basic or Stage 1 pre-evolutions are weak and frail, giving them a well-balanced turn (or more) of vulnerability.
Unfortunately, with the current clause of being able to use the ability on a Pokémon that was put into play that turn, you not only made a one-turn Broken Time Space which both means a stronger evolved Pokémon never has to risk any turns in a weaker state, and will never be in that weaker state (why evolve from a 60HP basic when you can evolve from a 250HP basic?)
I think this card’s biggest issue is just the fact that unlocking clauses on evolution should almost never go unchecked. With the ability to evolve anything into anything as fast as you want, the possibilities are practically endless, and all of them leave the game broken. Unfortunately, the attempt at balancing the ability by forcing a Lost Zone clause doesn’t fix any of the problems established by it.
-1 pt for missing Dex Stats

Final Thoughts:
I think I got everything out of the way in judging. The ability is absolutely beautiful, but I just don’t think something like this can be properly balanced at all, Ditto Prism Star was kind of the closest that could be managed, and some could argue it’s even too strong in the current meta.
The Matrix references were noted and appreciated. I absolutely love it when you guys include little references or jokes like this in your cards.
You’ve got some great ideas, Vom! Keep it up!

Final Score: 31/50

Spiritomb HP: 70 - Psychic
Basic Pokémon

NO. 442 Forbidden Pokémon HT: 3'03 WT: 238.1 lbs.

Ability: Keystone Curse
Whenever your opponent plays a Pokémon from their hand to evolve 1 of their Pokémon, put a Keystone marker on 1 of their Pokémon. Pokémon with Keystone markers take 30 more damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[P][P] Imprisoned Gamble 20
Your opponent flips a coin. If heads, your opponent may remove a Keystone marker from 1 of their Pokémon. If tails, this attack does 60 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: None
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C][C]

Pokédex: A Pokémon that was formed by 108 spirits. It is bound to a fissure in an odd keystone.

===

Creativity: (11/20)
Markers are always an interesting and overlooked mechanic to make your card more creative. I like that you dipped into that. However, I’d honestly judge this more positively if you submitted it for our Counters and Markers theme.
The attack seems fairly basic, just with the added twist of having your opponent flip a coin to see how it affects them, not you.
I like the small touches, such as a luck-based gamble to see how synergetic the card is with its markers, and the coin flip depending on your opponent and not you. This card is creative in the small ways.

Wording: (15/15)
This looks perfect! Congratulations! -0 pts

Believability: (13/15)
Everything seems well-balanced, though being able to hit a Benched Pokémon for a potential 90 with a tails flip and a single marker has the potential of being quite strong, as current spread cards aren’t able to hit one target for that much damage.
Checking for this card actually taught me that even after the introduction of Fairy type, Spiritomb is still printed without weakness. That’s pretty cool.

Final Thoughts:
If there’s one thing I’d ask for in this card, it’s most likely just more creativity with the markers mechanic. Everything just seems it was naturally thrown together because it worked with synergy, and while that isn’t bad, that’s too easy to just have a card place a marker and then do extra damage to a card with a marker on it. It seems like you just played it safe, explore these ideas more!
With all that said, I enjoyed seeing this entry and judging it. I’m always happy to receive things made with love from you, Lorde. ♡

Final Score: 39/50

Tyrantrum GX - Dragon - HP250
Stage 2 - Evolves from Tyrunt

Ability: Sovereign Rule
While this Pokémon is on your Bench, your Active Pokémon’s attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[F][F][C][C] Super Stomp 110+
Flip 2 coins. This attack does 40 more damage for each heads. If none of them are heads, switch your one of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon.

[F][F][F][C] Tyrannical Rule GX
If your Bench isn’t full, choose 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon. Then, ask your opponent if you may put that Pokémon onto your Bench. If yes, put that Pokémon and all cards attached to it onto your Bench. (If that Pokémon were to leave play for any reason, put it and all cards attached to it in the Lost Zone and give those cards back to your opponent after the game.) If no, Knock Out that Pokémon.

GX rule: When one of your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [Y] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C]

===

Creativity: (12/20)
The GX attack certainly makes for new and unique scenarios. While I like the attack having an effect for all of your coin flips being tails, it’s unfortunately just nothing new. There’s not really much use of the theme here, I’m sure you could benefit from the concept of being artificial with that GX attack but nothing was really done.

Wording: (9/15)
Unsure if the wording “If none of them are heads” is correct, though I can’t find a reference for this that isn’t newer than 2004. -0 pts
The “and give those cards back to your opponent after the game” doesn’t really apply, as the card wouldn’t list the proper protocol for events after the game. -3 pts
“(after applying Weakness and Resistance)” and “(If that Pokémon were to leave play for any reason, put it and all cards attached to it in the Lost Zone and give those cards back to your opponent after the game.)” should be italicized, -1 pt
No GX attack clause, -2 pts

Believability: (10/15)
Things seem okay balancing-wise, but I’m concerned about the logistics of using your opponent’s Pokémon. I’m also somewhat concerned about the idea that a GX attack can just result in an instant knock out on any of your opponent’s Pokémon with no holds on that, but I don’t see that as something that couldn’t happen, funnily enough…
There’s also no clause against using this attack when your opponent has only one Pokémon left, leading to an unfortunate instant win scenario.

Final Thoughts:
I’m certainly a big fan of the idea you’ve got going on with this card. While I have some issues with believability, they thankfully weren’t large enough for me to deem the card as unbalanced or unbelievable, just something I’d worry wouldn’t work. I think if you do some fine tuning with those ideas, and if you try to be more creative with the rest of the card, you can make something to really impress. After all, I do like the work I’ve seen from you in CaC so far. Keep it up!

Final Score: 34/50

Basic)- Genesect & Magearna GX (TAG TEAM) HP 280 (M)

Ability: Enhanced Metal
If this Pokémon has any Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, This Pokémon takes 50 less damage from attacks. (after applying Weakness and Resistance.)

(M)(M)(C) Blast Ray 130
Discard a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon.

(M)(M)(M)(C) + Giga Ray GX 80+
This attack does 60 more damage times the amount of Pokémon Tool cards in your discard pile. If this Pokémon has at least 2 extra (M) Energy attached to it (in addition to this attacks cost), Put up to 4 of those Pokémon Tool cards from your discard pile to your hand. (you can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: (F) x2 Resistance: (P) -20 Retreat Cost: (C)(C)(C)
(Tag Team Rule: When your TAG TEAM is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.)

===

Creativity: (8/20)
More TAG TEAM-GX cards, these are fun to see. You’ve got a lot of self-synergy with the card which is quite nice, though unfortunately it’s usually the most common kind we see (things like the ability directly boosting the attack)
This card doesn’t really seem like anything special, and fairly typical for a self-sufficient GX. Besides the choice of Pokémon, there’s not much with the theme in mind. It doesn’t seem like you’re doing much with the idea that the card is a TAG TEAM-GX, as I could just see you dropping the HP and the extra energy effect on the GX attack, and simply just calling it a regular GX.

Wording: (11/15)
“If this Pokémon has any Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, this Pokémon takes 50 less damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance).” -2 pts (Melmetal GX, Sun and Moon Promos SM178)
“If this Pokémon has at least 2 extra (M) Energy attached to it (in addition to this attacks cost),” -> “If this Pokémon has at least 2 extra [M] Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack’s cost),”, -1 pt (Several references)
“(you can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)” -> “(You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)”, -1pt (Several references)
“(after applying Weakness and Resistance.)” and “(you can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)” should be italicized, -1 pt

Believability: (12/15)
I’m a bit concerned with the numbers here. 280HP seems massive for a Basic TAG TEAM GX when Eevee and Snorlax TAG TEAM-GX has 270HP, and Magikarp and Wailord TAG TEAM-GX has 300HP, where both contain famously bulkier and heavier Pokémon with higher HP counts. That combined with the fact that you’re taking 50 less damage from attacks as long as you have a tool attached makes this Pokémon incredibly difficult to knock out under normal circumstances, without sacrificing any offensive power that would be typical in other, bulkier cards played for defensive abilities or HP counts.

Final Thoughts:
I don’t think self-synergizing cards are good in CaC because they’re both common and something where you really need the right ideas to make them impressive.
I enjoy reading TAG TEAM-GX cards but it’s unfortunate how the mechanic doesn’t seem to ever add anything to the cards besides bigger HP counts and “bigger” GX attacks, both in CaC submissions and in actual cards, typically. It’s just a shame that TAG TEAM-GX cards aren’t interesting.

Final Score: 31/50

Spiritomb GX - Dark – HP 160
Basic

Ability: Infiltrator
This Pokémon’s attacks aren’t affected by any effects on the Defending Pokémon.

[D][D][C] Ominous Wind 60
Flip a coin. If heads, you may attach an energy from your hand to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

[D][D] Curse GX
This Pokémon does 80 damage to itself. Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Poisoned. Put 8 damage counters instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

GX rule: When one of your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [Y] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: [C]

===

Creativity: (10/20)
Not bad, I like what I see. It seems like you’ve taken ideas from the video game and tried to translate them the best you could into how it would fit onto a card, and you’ve done a good job with it. Infiltrator is a nice ability that seems effective and believable and Curse GX is interesting due to its negative effect on the user.
However, I feel like you could develop these ideas more. You have a good start, but it feels underdeveloped by just applying ideas from the video game.

Wording: (12/15)
“This Pokémon’s attacks aren’t affected by any effects on the Defending Pokémon.” -> “This Pokémon’s attacks aren’t affected by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.” -2 pts (Tyranitar GX, LOT)
“Put 8 damage counters instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns.” -> “Put 8 damage counters instead of 1 on that Pokémon between turns.” -1 pt (Toxapex-GX, GRI)
GX attack clause should be italicized, -1 pt

This card isn’t unbelievable by any stretch and I could totally see this working well. However, something that stands out to me about the card is that it seems like the numbers are way too low. DDC for 60 seems underwhelming on a GX and taking 80 damage to apply a status condition that can be easily removed doesn’t really make for anything exciting. I’d just see it as one of those GX cards that are easily overshadowed. I docked points for Creativity because of this, but thought it was more applicable to talk about it in this section.
Spiritomb cards have always been printed without weakness and resistance, so it would seem strange for this one to follow the traits of a typical Dark-type, especially considering changing its weakness to Fairy. Unfortunately, that’s something in the video game that doesn’t apply here.

Final Thoughts:
I like the basic ideas here and Curse GX was very fun to see. I really enjoyed seeing a card that was based off, and stayed faithful to, the ideas in the video game (even down to Ominous Wind dealing 60 damage, since it has 60 base power in the games. Nice touch!) and that’s my favourite part of this card.
Unfortunately, I didn’t see anything truly interesting past this connection to the video games. You have appealing ideas, but they seemed to either weigh the card down and/or make the card uninteresting.

Final Score: 35/50

Porygon – Basic – HP60
Basic

Ability: Hack
If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, whenever your opponent's Active Pokémon attacks during his or her turn, flip two coins. If both are heads, the attack effects your opponent's Active Pokémon instead of this one and this Pokemon is now Poisoned.

[C][C] Reconstruct
Remove all Special Conditions affecting this Pokemon

Weakness:
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

===

Creativity: (9/20)
I do like the ideas behind the ability, what you’ve got here is not only unique but rather fitting for something I’d see from a Porygon, however nothing else seems interesting or stands out. Other than the ability, this is just another simple basic Pokémon.

Wording: (8/15)
“If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is affected by an opponent's attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), flip 2 coins. If both of them are heads, apply those effects to your opponent's Active Pokémon instead of this Pokémon. Then, this Pokémon is now Poisoned.” -2 pts (Shiinotic LOT, Pinsir TEU, Golduck TEU)
“Pokemon” -> “Pokémon” x4, -2 pts
“Remove all Special Conditions affecting this Pokemon” -> “Remove all Special Conditions affecting this Pokémon.” -1 pt (no period)
Pokémon listed as Basic twice, -1 pt
No type listed, -1 pt

While I believe this to be an aggravating card to have to theoretically play against, I don’t see much issues with balancing.
While I’m not sure it’s just a creative choice or it was completely forgotten, not listing a weakness and resistance for this card seems strange, especially when a type was not listed. -2 pts

Final Thoughts:
While I like this ability, there seemed to be a little bit of problems with wording in it. That’s really the biggest thing I can point out as a negative to close out. It looked like you forgot to check the details of this card and missed some small obvious things (listing the Pokémon as Basic instead of giving it a type, not accenting the Es in Pokémon, and not putting a period at the end of Reconstruct’s effect) so I highly recommend checking your wording, and reading your entry again before submitting it next time to make sure you don’t miss the small obvious things. Keep it up.

Final Score: 34/50

Voltorb [L] HP50
Basic

Ability: Explosive Screech
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may discard this Pokémon and all cards attached to it (this does not count as a Knock Out). If you do, search your deck for up to 3 Item cards that have the word “Ball” in their name and discard them. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[L][C] Factory Reset 20x
This attack does 20 damage times the number of Item cards in your discard pile that have the word “Ball” in their name. Then, shuffle all of those cards back into your deck.

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: 1
Voltorb was first sighted at a company that manufactures Poké Balls. The link between that sighting and the fact that this Pokémon looks very similar to a Poké Ball remains a mystery.

===

Creativity: (14/20)
This is some interesting self-synergy going on here. I’m usually not too impressed by cards whose abilities just simply do something to boost the power of their own attacks, though between the idea of discarding specific precious resources and recycling multiple Voltorb with Electrode does seem kinda fun.

Wording: (14/15)
“(before your attack)” and “(this does not count as a Knock Out)” should be italicized, -1 pt

Believability: (14/15)
The card seems well balanced and I could see this being a reasonable card printed in a set.
-1 pt for missing Dex stats

Final Thoughts:
I was very impressed with the wording on this card! That’s frequently a problem during CaC and I thought there were a couple things off, though after double checking your references I’m very impressed with how much attention you paid to that.
I’m not usually fond of the idea of submitting several cards for context and then one for judging, but I certainly think it just benefitted the Voltorb and made it more interesting in the creativity aspect. Well done!
Since you’re not submitting the Electrode I left this out of judging, but I’m happy you included the fact that Voltorb was lightning type, since you forgot it on Electrode.

Final Score: 42/50

Magneton – Metal – HP 80
Stage 1 Pokémon — Evolves from Magnemite

NO. 082 Magnet Pokémon HT: 3’03” WT: 132.3 lbs.

Ability: Magnetic Absorption
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is in your hand, you may play this Pokémon onto your Bench. If you do, choose 3 Magnemite you have in play. Move all Energy attached to them to this Pokémon. Then, discard those Pokémon.

[M][M][M] Magnetic Pulse: 50x damage. This attack does 50 damage for each Magnemite in your discard pile.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: [C][C][C]
A linked cluster formed of several Magnemite. It discharges powerful magnetic waves at high voltage.

===

Creativity: (15/20)
While the attack seems a little stale, the way you use the ability to set up for it is a very fun idea and is reminiscent of cards like Tapu Koko-GX (GRI) in the idea of dropping it down from your hand, and immediately setting it up to attack for big numbers. However, the simplicity of the attack combined with its ability being very similar to an existent card that was big enough for me to know off the top of my head weighs this entry down in Creativity.

Wording: (15/15)
This looks perfect! Congratulations! -0 pts

Believability: (15/15)
Believability was easy to judge for this one seeing as I could use the previously mentioned Tapu Koko-GX as a baseline, and while it took a bit away from creativity, I’m convinced nothing seems too crazy here. The idea of dropping a Stage 1 straight from your hand is well balanced by removing a lot of resources from your board, in a sort of “put your eggs in one basket” play, and the numbers are perfectly even. I really don’t have any problems with this card.

Final Thoughts:
I won’t lie, when I saw you talking about this thing I was eager to look it over and I wanted to discuss the judging on it, but poor Violet, she had to wait to tell you these things…
I’m not sure I’ve seen your faking work around, Blakers, but after seeing this I’m incredibly shocked I haven’t. This card is absolutely fantastic, and while it was weighed down a bit in creativity, the wording and believability were perfect. Well done, I’m excited to see more from you!
Can I just point out that I thought Magnets were going to be a way more popular choice, and I thought people would ignore the obvious pick of Porygon or Null?
Final Score: 45/50

Porygon2 – [C] – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Porygon

Ability: Trick Room
Your Pokemon in play with [C][C][C] or more Retreat Cost have no Retreat Cost.
[C][C] Tri-Attack 30
Flip three coins. If one of them is heads, your opponents Active Pokémon is now Burned. If two of them are heads, your opponents Active Pokémon is now Confused. If all of them are heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: N/A
Retreat: [C] [C]
Porygon2 was created by humans using the power of science. The man-made Pokémon has been endowed with artificial intelligence that enables it to learn new gestures and emotions on its own.

===

Creativity: (12/20)
I like the specific idea of Trick Room as it’s a fun little twist on removing retreat cost, giving only Pokémon with higher retreat cost a speed boost.
I think I’d just repeat what I said about Dragon of Destiny’s entry here. It seems like you’ve simply copied effects from the video game and tried to translate to the TCG.

Wording: (12/15)
“Your Pokemon in play with [C][C][C] or more Retreat Cost have no Retreat Cost.” -> “Your Pokemon in play with 3 or more Retreat Cost have no Retreat Cost.” -2 pts (Heavy Boots, BKT 141)
“Flip three coins.” -> “Flip 3 coins” -1 pt (Electrocharger, TEU 139)

The only thing that stands out is the thought of the ability being too strong as a support ability as Pokémon with high retreat costs typically have higher costs for balancing purposes, however there are similar support abilities that seem to not cause much problem in the current competitive meta. (Solgaleo-GX SUM, Zeraora-GX LOT)

Final Thoughts:
Unfortunately, I didn’t see anything truly interesting past this card’s large connection to the video games. You have appealing ideas, especially through the ability, but the card feels dry besides just a comparison to the video games. Don’t be afraid to express your own ideas for cards!

Final Score: 37/50

Voltorb - Lightning - HP: 50
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Camouflage as Poké Ball
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Poké Ball from your discard pile to this Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool card. If this Pokémon has a Poké Ball attached to it and is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 1 fewer Prize card. You can't use more than 1 Camouflage as Poké Ball Ability each turn.

(L)(C) Surprise! It's not a Poké Ball!
Put a Poké Ball attached to this Pokémon into the Lost Zone. If you do, discard a card attached to your opponent's active Pokémon.

Weakness: (F)x2
Resistance: -
Retreat: (C)

Voltorb was first sighted at a company that manufactures Poké Balls. The link between that sighting and the fact that this Pokémon looks very similar to a Poké Ball remains a mystery.

===

Creativity: (17/20)
I really like the ideas in this card. Giving it great synergy with a card that would otherwise be uninteresting or unviable makes for a lot of fun, and I like the attack giving the player a choice of burning their important resources in order to burn their opponent’s and it gives the card a sort of difficulty to it, asking “Would it really be worth it to put this into the Lost Zone?”
I think the only thing that isn’t interesting about this card is simply just that we’ve seen tools that reduce prize loss before.

Wording: (13/15)
“(before your attack)” should be italicized. -1 pt
“If you do, discard a card attached to your opponent's active Pokémon.”, Active should be capitalized. -1 pt

Believability: (11/15)
I’m unsure of the believability of a basic Pokémon being able to easily and infinitely recycle a tool that gives it less of a prize cost upon being knocked out. While it does seem properly balanced by the rest of the card, I’m worried it would be too easy to simply cycle Voltorb constantly and infinitely attach Poké Balls to it, rendering a realistic deck to be unable to ever take prizes in a game after a certain point.

Final Thoughts:
Overall, I’m very impressed! I think the one thing holding this card back was the tool having a basic effect, and one that could potentially get out of hand when able to be recycled infinitely.
Your wording itself was spot on, and I’m glad you included references, however you seemed to miss a little bit of small stuff. Make sure to read your entry over!

Final Score: 41/50

Golurk HP 150 Fighting
Stage 1 - Evolves from Golett
NO.623 Automaton Pokémon HT: 9’02” WT: 727.5 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ Ancient Effects
Once during your turn, (before your attack) if there is a Stadium card in play, you may look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. Put a Stadium card you find there with a different name than the current Stadium card in play next to the current Stadium card in play. That card stays next to that Stadium card while that card is still in play. Discard that card if another Stadium card comes into play. The current Stadium card in play has the same effects of the card next to it in addition to it’s own effects. That card counts as being put into play. Then, shuffle your deck. If there is already a card next to the current Stadium card in play, you can’t use this Ability.

[F][C][C][C] Construct 110
Shuffle all Stadium cards from your discard pile into your deck. Discard an Energy from this Pokémon.

Some say that ancient people invented Golurk to serve as a laborer. It follows its master’s orders faithfully.

Weakness: Grass x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 4

===

Creativity: (16/20)
This is certainly artificial, allowing for what’s basically two stadiums in play at the same time. I think this ability really shakes up what we know about the game enough for me to just say it works well with the theme off that. The attack seems like a simple support to the effects of the ability, and while it seems a little bit basic, I think the ability is really where the creativity lies with this one, and you’ve done a fantastic job with it.

Wording: (13.5/15)
“Once during your turn, (before your attack)” -> “Once during your turn (before your attack),”, the comma is placed after the clause. -0.5 pts
“in addition to it’s own effects” -> “in addition to its own effects”, -1 pt

Believability: (10/15)
Unfortunately, dual stadiums can immediately raise some problems, and I had a very quick first thought about this: Sky Field and Parallel City. Neither card is like Sudowoodo GRI where it states a clause that the lower number of benched Pokémon stands as the limit, meaning that in order for that very common mix of Stadiums to ever be played, that clause would have to be written into the official rules of the game as an errata (meaning that the clause listed on Sudowoodo GRI would become completely obsolete) or that the clause would have to be written on one or both of the Stadium cards, which wouldn’t be possible unless the cards are re-released, given an errata, and be sent back into the current meta, which forces the existence of certain cards. That gets messy.
I’m not sure if there are other hazardous combinations of Stadiums. My current believability score is based on the belief that there are none, and that otherwise the card is well-balanced.

Final Thoughts:
I love the choice of Pokémon here, and the connection to Golurk being a physical laborer, therefore being able to affect things like the physical ground itself, leading to some weird, artificial stadium combinations. This card is not only interesting but ties your ideas together really well, and that’s a reason I enjoy seeing your work in CaC competions.
Your wording itself was spot on, and I’m glad you included references, however you seemed to miss a little bit of small stuff, which strangely enough seemed to be related to actual grammar and not things like italicizing clauses like most entries. Make sure to read your entry over!

Final Score: 39.5/50

3rd Place: FlashRayquaza’s Voltorb, with 41/50 points.
2nd Place: FourteenAlmonds’s Voltorb, with 42/50 points.
1st Place: Blakers’s Magneton, with 45/50 points.

Image-Based Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

Ohman ohman ohman. This round, y’all. 60% of the image-based submissions belonged to the same evolution line. That’s hilarious. :p

Anywho, I don’t have a whole lot to say this time around, so I’ll keep it short and sweet: I keep seeing better and better work from all of you. There’s improvement in so many different areas. A truly solid group of fakers this is. :)

~~Jabberwock

dcws54q-97fc2861-e2e3-43ab-bb62-6f7cac1dd85f.png

Type: Null? Yeah I figured we’d see at least one of those. :p

Silvally-GX is in that awkward spot of being almost viable in most metagames, but it just isn’t fast enough or is too frail with a [F] Weakness. I know plenty of people, super competitive and otherwise, who’d be quite happy to see a card like this one, as it helps consistency if nothing else. I’m just not sure it helps it enough, as you’ve still got to figure out the Energy problem. If they were to print another Silvally-GX that gets going on Turn 1 I could see it working as a niche similar to Eeveelutions with Eevee SUM? Otherwise I find it a bit underpowered.

Masked Barrier is a nice standard damage-and-shield attack that protects from an unusual category of Pokémon, which is interesting, but I’d’ve liked to see more synergy with the Ability or even with Silvally-GX.

And in terms of visuals, it’s actually a bit less than I’ve been led to expect from you in the past, steff. Sometimes less is more, but I’m not certain it is in this case. I love All0412’s art as much as anyone, but the color balance can lean pretty heavily into darker hues, so it usually takes a bit of fiddling to get it up to scratch for a TCG card. It’s particularly noticeable on a [C] Pokémon, and contrasting with that holosheet. Think it needed a bit more working.

Wording errors:
- Looks fine.

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Pokémon name (Type: Null) should be a few point sizes taller and more condensed width-wise. [-1 point]
- Text for Ability and attack are both much lower than they should be relative to the names of the Ability and attack. [-2 points]

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(Some new design space, but could’ve gone a lot further with the synergy angle.)
Wording: 15/15
(Seems good.)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(A couple errors.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(Believable, but a bit underpowered.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(Could use some more tinkering.)
Total: 40/50

AlTlA3o.png

Believe it or not this isn’t actually one of the Pokémon I expected to see –– but that might just because it’s so new. :p

I had to look up the lore on Meltan, and it turns out there’s not much. Bulbapedia only has about a sentence to draw the link between Meltan and any form of artificial synthesis, and I’m not certain the connection to Ditto is enough. Melmetal has a Pokédex entry that mentions it existing and being revered as a god 3,000 years ago. The flavor text on your own card is throwing me, too, implying that Meltan was discovered rather than created. I’m gonna dock a cautious [-1 point] for the theme connection being pretty tenuous.

That being said, though, I love the card. The art alone is beautiful. Your style is fantastic; have you thought at all about trying out HGSS as an era? It’d fit perfectly there. Ofc, it’s pretty damn good here, too.

Assimilate is a nice effect that works well with flavor, though I question the decision to have the Ability activate from the hand rather than from the Bench like Klefki STS or Unowns G and R from the DPPt era. There’s nothing strictly wrong with it, but it breaks a fair amount of precedent –– requiring you to have an empty Bench space in order to attach it as a Tool, for example.

Assimilate is clearly the focal point of the card, but Inanimate Insurrection is a solid secondary effect for it, too. I like the creativity there.

Wording errors:
- While attached to a Pokémon, Meltan counts as both Meltan and a Pokémon Tool card. Inanimate Insurrection needs a clarification as to whether it’s counted twice or not (and it shouldn’t be). [-2 points]

- On point.

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Interesting flavor use for Ability.)
Wording: 13/15
(One clarification.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(On point.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(I could see it.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Brilliant art.)
[-1 point] for theme

Total: 44/50

Jan19CaC1.png

A new face ‘round these parts, and with a stunning new card to boot? Very nice. :D

I do quite like that you’ve considered it to be a direct evolution of Rayquaza-GX CES; it shows some creativity to be placing your card within an existing metagame. Though, there’s not a whole lot that this adds to it. Draconic Rage-GX is a neat attack, but you only get it once, and if you want to Tempest-GX or something in the earlygame then you’re stuck with a lackluster 130-and-discard-2 for the rest of it. You even note in your OP that there’s not really a scenario where you’d want to use that attack over any other option at your disposal. I can respect the balancing choice, but what it boils down to is basically that you’ve got a one-attack card.

Speaking of which, I’ve also got a couple concerns about that GX attack. It can very easily become a board wipe! :p Even if that’s not so easy to hit, 300 damage and spread for any non-zero amount of damage is nothing to laugh at. Look at spread GX attacks like Necrozma, Ultra Necrozma, Noivern, Vikavolt … even Magikarp & Wailord isn’t this effective a nuke. Ik it’s a Mega, but that level of power is pushing it.

The aesthetics are fantastic, of course; I particularly like how you manipulated the fireballs to mesh with the Pokkén art. The multicolored background combined with the rainbow sunlava holosheet makes for a nice effect as well –– though I might consider fiddling a bit more with the holosheet settings to get an optimal shine. It looks a tiny bit more opaque than you might want it to right now. It’s a beautiful card, though; nobody can deny that.

I am gonna dock [-2 points] because I am just not convinced that Mega Rayquaza counts as an artificial Pokémon. I like your justification for it (and the justification why I didn’t just disallow the card in the first place), but Mega Evolution strikes me more as a natural process that simply requires a human’s input. That doesn’t make the process itself manmade.

Wording errors:
- Need a “Don’t apply W/R for Benched Pokémon” clause in the GX attack. [-2 points]

- The name (that is, “Rayquaza”) seems much more horizontally condensed than it needs to be. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(I like the GX attack and the considered place in the metagame, but missing the rest of the card.)
(One missing clause.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Name squishing.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(GX attack is quite overpowered.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Stunning.)
[-2 points] for theme

Total: 39/50

Silvally_Cac_2.png

Hmm, that’s certainly different. I gotta say I really like it; I think that’s a damn near perfect use of that art. The gold effects all work really well together, and if the border is a tad oversaturated it’s not all that bad. The placement of Gladion and Arceus in the background remind me very much of the Secret Rare Pokémon-EX they did for a while around the BREAK sets. Looking good, Nyan. ^.^

Chimeric Shift and Multi-Attack are both nice as flavorful attacks for Silvally, and work well synergistically. I’d really like to see a deck with a rainbow Energy line do well in a Standard metagame, and this is probably the way to make it happen.

That being said, well … there’s not much else to say about the attacks. It strikes me as weird that we haven’t seen an Arceus or Silvally card with a similar Ability or attack already, since it just makes sense for them to have them. Multi-Attack is a bit derivative of Rainbow Burn, but there’s still some nice unexplored design space around the synergy with Chimeric Shift.

In terms of potential improvements for aesthetics (which, I assure you, there aren’t many :p), I might suggest texturing more of the card, or else none of the card. It’s a bit weird for the border to be the only part of it with a texture.

Wording errors:
- Chimeric Shift can be worded more cohesively, like “...choose 1 type of basic Energy card attached to this Pokémon. This Pokémon is now that type until the end of your opponent’s next turn.” [-2 points]

- Solid.

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Neat synergy.)
(One rewording.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(All good.)
(Looks good to me.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Brilliant use of the art.)
Edited: [-2 points]

Total: 43/50

Silvally_Card_1.png

Ah! Another Silvally! I know just what to do with you. GRYFFINDOR!

Yeah, I suspected there might be more than one of these this round. What’s very interesting to me, though, is that you and Nyan went in completely different directions with your cards. On this one, rather than the Multitype/RKS System aspect of it, you went for the Gladion bond thing. I love to see how different fakers fake the same Pokémon differently. :p

I love your art, too, as always. I’d probably tinker with it a bit so as to position Silvally closer to the center of the frame, though –– ik you were trying to fit Gladion in as well, but it sacrifices a bit of dynamo when the Pokémon is shunted off to the side of the card.

Rebellious Bond is a brilliant effect; I really like the way you were going with the Garchomp and Metagross as inspiration. It’s especially cool because Gladion isn’t really played as more than a one-off in most decks these days –– this card takes another card that isn’t all that widespread and makes it quite powerful. The way it would play out also reminds me of Gallade SW (becoming progressively weaker as the game goes on), which I think is excellent design.

Ultra Counter is a really good complement to the rest of the card as well. It ties in thematically to the idea of Silvally being engineered to fight the Ultra Beasts, and does so in a fun and playable way.

Wording errors:
- Ultra Counter’s text should just say “If the Defending Pokémon is an Ultra Beast, this attack does 60 more damage. [-3 points]

- The attack text is smaller than it needs to be –– and, if you do adjust the size, make sure to adjust the spacing between lines as well. [-2 points]

Creativity/Originality: 14/15
(Brilliant design.)
Wording: 12/15
(Attack text reworded.)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Text size and spacing.)
(Yeah, I could see it.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Art might need a bit more tinkering.)
Edited: [-2 points]

Total: 41/50

3rd Place: Gabs Kazumi’s Silvally, with 41/50 points.
2nd Place: Nyan’s Silvally, with 43/50 points.
1st Place: that ivy guy’s Meltan, with 44/50 points.

(When I went through for formatting Vi's post, I c/p'd each individual entry into its respective results spoiler. However, as c/p'ing on the forums doesn't preserve formatting like bolding, italics, etc, and I didn't have the patience to manually fix it for all the entries, those are not present. Sorry. <3 ~~Jabber)
Come out here and ruin my hard work why don't you? It takes a lot of effort to hold down the Ctrl key and press B at the same time!

Seriously though congrats to everyone on their placement, I'm excited to see those of you who signed up in the faking tournament very soon!

Back