BW/BW2 Jalorda - Best starter in disguise?

sgtspontaneous

I like Pokémon more than Water Pokémon Master
With Perversity, Jalorda may have just enough tools to make itself OU as a starter. Emboar, I love ya, but Reckless with doubling recoil too will just make you faint yourself, and Daikenki, just not standout enough, too average of stats IMO, Megahorn and Waterfall is great, but just not OU.

Perversnake however:

Jalorda
@Life Orb
252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Timid/Modest +Spd/SpA, -Att
Leaf Storm
Giga Drain - I know I'm doubling up on Grass, but the moveset forces
HP - Fire
Glare/Toxic

75 Special Attack is not amazing, but Boosted by Life Orb/Modest Nature or both, a neutral hit shouldn't do too bad with Leaf Storm, which has a built in Nasty Plot. Jalorda's defenses and HP are all good enough to withstand probably any attack, barring probably V-Generate.

Using Psypoke's Damage Calc, Leaf Storm would do about 157 Damage to a Bold Blissey with 369 SpD. The 2nd Leaf Storm gives us 313, the 3rd 469, and the final Maxed out Leaf Storm a nice 627.

After that Nasty Plot, Giga Drain, which has been upgraded from 60 to 75 BP, I had to improvise and used Energy Ball, then chip a little away, I'm dealing around 340 damage and healing over 170 when needed, outdoing Seismic Toss.

Again, this is against the Pokemon World's best wall, I would probably switch to Heracross ;)

HP Fire is in there to hit other Grass, Bugs, and Steel Types from walling, other types could be justified.

Glare is a decently accurate Sweeper stopper, or Toxic for continued damage.

Does anyone else think this is viable for the OU tier?

P.S. I used Oddish for calculations since they have the same SpA, kinda sad isn't it? lol

...I don't understand your question..did you not read the entire post? The whole darn thing is about Perversity! That's how Leaf Storm doubles in strength!

In other words...DUHHHHHH

??

but for just using it as a starter, and not a wi-fi battling pokemon, you have to admit, it's the worst.

I agree with that, Overgrow is too lame, it'll get 2 KO'ed by Flamethower, and its move pool is abysmal. I look forward to playing through the game with Emboar:

Flare Blitz
Superpower
Earthquake
Wild Bolt
Head Smash/Stone Edge
...so many choices!

Daikenki:

Boiling water
Blizzard
Waterfall
Megahorn
Surf
Dragon Tail
Night Slash
Air Slash
X-scissor

Two words:

OH YEAH

Yes I know you have Glare as a move listed,but Glare does not have the best Accuracy in the world,So if a greater threat (Jolteon,Skarmory,Dragonite,empoleon,Gengar) were to counteract Jalorda and if glare were to miss,you would take substantial damage before then and even if it does hit you can still be liable for an attack.Besides that,You would not be able to do much damage with the 2+ attack raise to most OU pokemon anyway.(Dragonite,Scizor,Skarmory) which could pluck you off with a Uturn,Whirlwind to rid of your atk boost,or a dragon dancing/fire punch dragonite.Gengar could pluck you with hidden power fire if it were running a choice scarf set.As well as Ice sharding Weavile with a Choice Band.You may have hidden power fire,but still could have OHTKO From a choicebanded ice punch weavile
Sorry but jalorda would be best in UU because of the advent of Ice Beam/Calm minding Cresselia and Honchkrow in BorderLine (BL).Sorry but that is how I see Jalorda's play in the OU metagame.

Glare's accuracy goes from 75% in Gen IV to 90% in Gen V, the same as Leaf Storm itself. The problem is that Grass is so easily walled by common types, probably why HP Fire is in there for Scizor, which would OHKO it even without boosts, and Skarmory, OHKO after 1 boost most likely. Assuming I have the Special Attack boost, (If not, then I haven't lost anything to Whirlwind), Dragonite is my main threat. Jalorda also has Twister in its arsenal, but it is such a weak special attack...maybe after a couple boosts it could OHKO Dragonite off of sheer weakness.

I agree it'll be the best Gen V starter, but overall Blaziken (Speed Boost) most likely be the first OU starter. Possibly even Charizard (Solar Power), depending on how people use it (Dream World Ninetales hint hint). All this just because of their dream world abilities.

EDIT: and by "First OU starter" I mean the fact that Smogon's tier system is GOING to change when this generation hits.

I see what you're gettin' at, and yes, Blaziken will definitely be an OU starter. I still don't think Charizard is going to break into OU with Stealth Rock taking 50%, and not being the fastest out there will easily be OHKO'd by quite a bit.

I see Blaziken playing a second Ninjask, with Protect, Swords Dance, Speed Boost, and Baton Pass, you'll easily be able to pass 4 attack boosts:

Ninjask:
Protect (1s)
Swords Dance (2s)(2a)
Protect (3s)(2a)
Baton Pass to Blaziken (4s)(2a)
Protect (5s)(2a)
Swords Dance (6s)(4a)
Baton Pass to a Physical Sweeper, Groudon/Ho-oh/Ray/Zekrom in Ubers, Metagross, T-Tar, Scizor...endless possibilities
Pass to a Smeargle with Amnesia/Acid Armor

either way, 522 Sp.A mixed with a 100 base speed, which would be 299 Modest + Scarfibility,
or... 475.5 Sp.A 328 Speed Timid with endless sunshine...
All I'm saying is that is screaming for a Rapid Spinner on the team.

And I run my Ninjask Different... I start with Substitute, since most people don't open with their rock blaster that I know of, protect, substitute, protect, sub, pro, all while eating an apple core.

Jalorda in game is a horrible starter due to it's movepool. The best set you can make for it is.

Jalorda
Adamant/Jolly
-Leaf Blade
-Aerial Ace
-Dragon Tail
-Coil

I wouldn't do a physical set on a competitive Jalorda, Perversity all the way for competition with Leaf Storm. Dragon Tail kinda sucks because of its small 60, and it's a negative priority.

And @ Eevee, I've thought about Subs, but the only reason why I haven't put it in my moveset is because subs can be taunted. (Or is it different in gen V?)

I love Jalorda. I thought Dikenki would be the better choice until I read this, because I was unaware of Perversity.

That, is the real deal.

Jacking up your Special Attack so high, being able to abuse this boost with Giga Drain to continuously stay in the near-full HP range is fantastic. If you're able to get Hidden Power-Fire, even better. Steel-types that supposedly have Resistance are now exposed. Decent Defense and Special Defense are good factors as well. I'm sure Jalorda will make its debut in OU definitely because of Perversity and Leaf Storm. This'll be epic. SNIVY FTW!

Jalorda isn't that good honestly. It's quite meh. It has a terrible movepool outside of Hidden Power and Leaf Storm. Sure perversity is a good ability but still. It gets walled depending on the HP it uses. If it uses HP Fire then Heatran can easily dispose of it. HP Ground means Togetic, Zapdos, Shaymin-S. It's a two way street.

I really wish I didn't have to ditch the Snivy I receive from the professor to get one with Perversity. From that, I would like to ask: Is there any word on fifth gen. Pokemon being released in the dream world yet?

Jalorda wont reach OU, way to many pokemon that can A. destroy/counter it or B. do its job better.
Erufuun kinda messed up its life. Naturally good spd, def and sp.def +mischevous heart. One could easily max out their defenses and set up on most pokemon (much faster taunt, leech seed, sub etc). And it can still go first in trick room since it does not rely on speed.
I just think jalorda is to predictable with its lousy movepool to post a threat.

What he said. How many of this guy do you see on wifi? Zero. He is in the same boat with all the other Pokemon whose Dream World Ability is mega king over their available one. We don't know when or if they will even be released so...

The moral is that without the DWA this guy is nothing special. His movepool sucks and his stats ain't nothing to write home about. Is he the best starter?... I'd say no.

Back