News 'Islands Waiting for You' and 'Moonlight of Alola': Japan's Next Sun and Moon TCG Set!

Some of my thoughts:

Salazzle: Figured she'd be the first thing to both Poison and Burn with Burn's return to the game. Has some nice Devolution Spray plays with it.

Turtonator-GX: Not that bad of a card. Forcing your opponent to have to Lysandre if they don't want to, or force them to take 80 to the face. GX Attack is nice once you're out of Fisherman and Energy Retrievals.

Sandslash: As stated before, our closest thing to a Slurpuff replacement. Seems like all the Water types are getting all the draw effects now...

Tapu Koko-GX: A quick and easy attacker that can put some pressure on with its GX Attack, though it seems like it's more of a panic button attack than anything else.

Mimikyu: Always fun to see attacks like Mimic. Also, no Weakness. Interesting.

Tapu Lele-GX: I wasn't playing when Jirachi was a thing, but even I know how good of a card it was back then. Being bigger, and having an actually good attack makes Lele really good, and it's definitely gonna be the money card of the set. Nice panic button for a GX Attack too.

Lycanroc-GX: We've seen this before, but it's still nice to see that Midnight Forme is getting some love now.

Komala: Snorlax-GX lite.

Dhelmise: I love my inanimate Pokemon, and the anchor is no exception. Solid ability for a few decks.

Golisopod: This is the EX/GX slayer we need. Slap a Choice Band on him, and he's one-shotting any and all Basic-EX/GX not named Turtonator or Snorlax.

Tapu Bulu-EX: Honestly, I can't see him being too much of a threat. Sure, you can swing for 180 if you're about to die anyways, but it still feels like wasted potential, IMO.

Tapu Koko: Standard baby form of an EX/GX. Wouldn't be surprised if we get an event for the Shiny one in-game in the coming months.

Aether PC Area: Always good to see Stadiums that focus on multiple types for added utility.

Jangmo-o: Pretty sure this is the first time we've had a Dragon that uses Lightning and Fighting energy.

It happened with AOR in ORAS the box art legends and Ray were shiny-locked
While that is true, I'm discounting that due to the fact that shiny Ray/Grou/Kyo exist in older gens. Tapu Koko on the other hand is unable to be shiny.
The only other 'mon that can be disputed is Celebi (which had 2 shiny forms in the TCG), but I think you can encounter a shiny one in Gen 2 via the GS Ball event.

People sometimes loves to overreact... Tapu Lele is good and nothing more. The attack is the same as Lugia-EX's attack because it's not affected by weakness (so no stellar numbers like NXD Mewtwo-EX), and Lugia-EX is not a meta breaking card, just a good card. The ability is good, but without cards like AZ you cannot abuse it, and you can't search Tapu Lele with Level Ball like we used to search the good old Jirachi-EX. Good card, nothing more, really.

Tapu Lele GX shouldn't be a card.
I find it funny that they would combine two extremely powerful cards from one format in to that monstrosity. Even without being able to hit for Weakness, Tapu Lele doesn't have a weakness itself and it is unaffected by Resistance, which is also very good. Heck, you don't even need the GX attack in 90% of decks to justify runing 3 or 4 of this card and the versatility it brings as a whole is just absolutely insane.

I'm already thinking that this and Lurantis GX will be best friends. That's going to be a Top Tier deck for sure. Toss in a couple Garbodor and all of a sudden, you have an extremely efficient deck that can quickly set up and just walk over pretty much everything. I'm really not looking forward to that (just kidding, I totally am).

Besides that, I like how cute Alolan Sandslash is, both in art and ability. I like free cards, so I think it's nice.

Dhelmise makes M Scizor much, much better, which is really nice. Extra Damage and Energy Denial are a yes in my book.

Turntonator GX is also pretty swell. That GX attack makes me happy and I like having a spammable, better Bursting Balloon that also does damage over time. It may not be the best GX, but it's definitely playable for sure. Plus, with how easy it is to get Fire Energy in to the Discard Pile with things like Volcanion EX, I could see this in there.

Either way, very awesome spoilers. I really do think Tapu Lele GX is insanely good and probably shouldn't have been made, however. Still, this whole format is going to be wild.

-Asmer

Yup with sm2 set this big just like base set and possibly 3 sets by rotation time I think it's gonna be sun and moon on in standard

Imagine what Salazzle-GX will look like :rolleyes:

Its funny because me and a friend were talking about it and came to the conclusion that they couldn't put Salazzle in the anime. I personally don't mind this but I still can't believed they designed a Pokemon like this.

Ok the game is overpowered from previous set from sure. But is much more fun now. The really overpower gx attack is once per game...

Salazzle Stage +1 burn and poison (not every turn ability) *
Turntonator-GX with 2 burn energy this card can by worked. The 5 fire energy set up is GOOD ***
Tapu Koko-GX (L). Exellent counter attack pokemon. surprised Gx attack no weakness ****
Tapu Lele-GX (P) no weakness Exellent abitity, cool but no great attack. a cheap Healer gx attack*****
Komala 3 colorless energy from 100 damage? too low. playable pokeball **
Lycanroc-GX Free Laysander is perfect. Powerful gx attack ****
Tapu Bulu-GX (G) no weakness great Gx attack, Very good main attack. ***(*)
)
The stars is my personal opinion Turnonator Gx works well with all fire pokemon, not only with Volcanion
Tapu Koko-Gx and Tapu Bulu-GX with FFB and Aether Paradise Conservation Area can be a mini tank.
Tapu Bulu is very good with Lurandes Gx and regural Lurantis. So is EXELENT counter vs Volcanion decks

Last edited:
Oops. A Slowpoke, there is a person who loves Slowpoke and Slowblow. I can't wait for his reaction

Turtonator GX is also really good, and will likely be used in Volcanion decks imo, its simply too good not to use at least one. Considering theres no other fire-type GX's (other than Incineroar, which is a stage two with an underwhelming GX attack), there should be no reason not to use a card that's literally a baby volcanion on steroids. I do wonder, however, if this could end up conflicting with people running Salamence EX as a one-of tech in Volcanion, can't wait to find out.

Onto my main reason for this post though. I am becoming very annoyed with certain posts being made in threads like these. This 5-star rating system which people are now using, (which I can only assume comes from the influence of google), is nowhere near as good (or even decent) as people think it is. Although this rating system is fine for that channel's videos, where he offers 7-10 minute explanations that help both new and veteran players alike, the 5-star rating system being used in posts in threads like these is completely ludicrous. Under no circumstances, should anyone be leaving a 1-5 star rating with a half sentence explanation, and absolutely nothing else. That is NOT how a good post is made. Although it may express a basic opinion, there is nothing to relate your opinion to, and no support for the "why" and "how" aspects of your opinion. Ultimately, these types of posts seem to be taken less seriously, due to their often repetitive nature of the posts, and because well thought out posts that offer support for opinions are vastly superior in nearly every imaginable way. Many users would appreciate thorough explanations concerning to WHY you think what you think, and HOW you think the card will impact the metagame. In addition to this, examples for particular situations, (not just "this card is good in this deck"), are also very much appreciated, and lets your post be a catalyst for discussion and be productive in the current conversation. So, I hope more users can keep these ideas in mind when making their posts, so that our forums can become an even more enjoyable place.

remember when people thought post sm1 was going to attempt to ease toward a slower format

It is. Lele doesn't speed up games. It gives you more outs to supporters, which are still one per turn. Decks will be more consistent, but not faster.

All the power will still be here after Shaymin rotates, but players will be unable to speed through their decks like they could before. Overall, I think this will contribute to a more skill-based format.

Tapu Lele-GX is absolutely incredible. Its likr if Jirachi-EX and Lugia-EX (AOR) had a baby. This card basically makes Lugia and Jirachi obsolete.
The lack of weakness is disturbing. I have no clue what can actually counter it. Its not anybody's main strategy, but I can easily see something like a Decidueye build just abuse this card for control.

It is. Lele doesn't speed up games. It gives you more outs to supporters, which are still one per turn. Decks will be more consistent, but not faster.

All the power will still be here after Shaymin rotates, but players will be unable to speed through their decks like they could before. Overall, I think this will contribute to a more skill-based format.
It's definitely gonna allow for more interesting plays than Shaymin, I'm looking forward to it.

Honestly I'm kinda interested in the non-GX Koko. 1 DCE for a decent spread on something with free retreat sounds nice.

I wonder if Sandslash could revive the hit and run concept?

Lele is broken, Bulu and Koko are decent, Salazzle is interesting, and imo poor Turtonator doesn't have much of a chance.

...But I haven't played in years, so what do I know?

Tapu Lele just had to go and dominate every format it found itself in. It's incredible in the Video Games and its shaping up to be a meta defining card.

...kinda reminds me of Garchomp C.

Back