Discussion Is Rayquaza GX Good after Rotation?

Oh god I didn't even think of Beast Ring for Rayquaza, that's smart!

Anyway, Rayquaza has to be good post-rotation. Sure you lose great cards for it like Max Elixir, but like Gumball said you still have access to not only Latias PS for the time being, but one set later you get Zeraora-GX which is an instant one or two-of in Rayquaza. I've been thinking about how can I more easily Turbo these energies with these energy recursion effects. If you're already going to use Mysterious Treasure, I was thinking you could also include GRI Oricorio in your deck to search you energies and discard them through other methods (Unfortunatley post rotation means no more Sycamore to discard things we actually want in the discard pile but there are other methods like Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure).

He has to be good. The potential to set up multiple attackers all doing crazy amounts of damage sounds super dangerous.

May you explain how Beast ring would be Helpful

May you explain how Beast ring would be Helpful
Old post of old thoughts but if you had Ultra Beasts in Rayquaza, specifically Xurkitree, attaching the energies with Beast Ring would not only charge Xurkitree, but it becomes more energies on the board for Rayquaza-GX so that it can deal more damage. There's probably more optimal options to charge Rayquaza but I just thought it was interesting to point out.

I see so it's just pair it with a Ultra beast and BOOM extra energy.
Yup! That's of course if you pair an Ultra Beast like Xurkitree (or maybe Pheromosa in addition to the topic) in the deck, but Xurkitree is already somewhat splashable for being a wall to anything with a special energy attached (like Strong Energy for 2018 Worlds Format or good ol' DCE), so it outta most likely stay on the board esspecially if people are most likely going after the Rayquaza since it would be the real threat in this case.

It’s very premature of course, but despite what other people say, I still think Vikavolt is the partner in crime. I’m testing this a few weeks now, and most of the times I am hitting like 240 / 270 turn 3 or 4. There’s always 1 and most of the times even 2 Vikavolt out turn 4. The energy acceleration is crazy. In my opinion, the most difficult thing is just to make the deck as consistent as possible. Otherwise you will have a glass canon, like VikaBulu could be from time to time (it’s the deck I played most last year).

I think Beast Ring is too slow, you’re forced to give up 2 prizes before starting serious energy acceleration... Sure there’s Latias Prism and the ability of Rayquaza itself, but I’m just not sure whether that will be enough.

Having watched Japanese duels of Rayquaza GX/Zeraora GX, I can confidently say that's the best build for Ray, and it DOES work fairly well. The spine of every Rayquaza GX deck in Japan is 4 Ray, 2 Zeraora GX, 2 Shuckle, and 1 Latias Prism Star.

I also saw a variation that runs 2 copies of the non-GX Pheromosa (Deals 180 damage if you have 1 prize remaining, 210 choice banded, AMAZING game closer), and 2 copies of Beast Ring for the energy boost. I'm not really a fan of Beast Ringing in this deck due to its situational nature and the fact that you are obligated to consume a bench spot on a not-Rayquaza GX, but I do very much believe in Pheromosa as a clean up Pokemon for the deck.

The deck does seem to have potential with Shuckle and Zeraora-GX, as it could accelerate energies. Shuckle is basically a 1 card accelerator, as its ability discards 3 energies from deck, and its attack attaches 2 to your Pokemon. Only real downside is, it got a meager health of 60 HP. You attach two energy, opponent gets a prize card. I don't really know how much is this gonna the deck late game, but it could be annoying. Not to mention, Buzzwole-GX Jet Punch can 2HKO your shuckles from Bench. I guess we will have to wait and see how consistent the deck will be.

Vikavolt in Rayquaza will deliver the same results as VikaBulu - sneaks into Top 8 every once in a while due to some luck and sheer power, but too inconsistent to be a true threat to tech against.

Stage-2s are inherently inconsistent. While the upcoming format won't have threats such as Parallel City or Espeon-EX to hurt them as badly, you still suffer from the same problems you always had - finding the Basic, the Rare Candy, and the Stage-2, all the while hoping you don't get Guzma'd.

The problem I'm seeing with Ray is the mill three Ability. Precious resources (well, if you don't manage them correctly) at random being sent immediately to the discard is no bueno, and having no control over that is not good. Smooth Over might help, but now we're introducing new techs and things could get messy. At face value, Ray looks incredibly attractive, but I think it's going to a card you'll want to sell/trade up with at Prerelease once people discover it's not that great. With Fairy support being released in droves within the year, things could turn sour for the card very quickly.

Vikavolt in Rayquaza will deliver the same results as VikaBulu - sneaks into Top 8 every once in a while due to some luck and sheer power, but too inconsistent to be a true threat to tech against.

Stage-2s are inherently inconsistent. While the upcoming format won't have threats such as Parallel City or Espeon-EX to hurt them as badly, you still suffer from the same problems you always had - finding the Basic, the Rare Candy, and the Stage-2, all the while hoping you don't get Guzma'd.

The problem I'm seeing with Ray is the mill three Ability. Precious resources (well, if you don't manage them correctly) at random being sent immediately to the discard is no bueno, and having no control over that is not good. Smooth Over might help, but now we're introducing new techs and things could get messy. At face value, Ray looks incredibly attractive, but I think it's going to a card you'll want to sell/trade up with at Prerelease once people discover it's not that great. With Fairy support being released in droves within the year, things could turn sour for the card very quickly.

These are all very relevant concerns - I was also worried about the mill 3 when I looked at the deck on paper - but it's also the reason why most Ray decks run 3 copies of Rescue Stretcher and 2 copies of Pal Pad so that you can mill freely without drying out your resources. It's also why the deck runs a 14 to 16 energy pool - your odds of hitting energy in one of the mills instead of other resources are just super high with a deck ratio like that. In fact, because you're running 3 copies of Rescue Stretcher, you almost want to mill a few Pokemon into the discard (except for Latias Prism Star) so that gives you more item cards to search out your Pokemon. It can end up being a good thing, really. Milling a bunch of cards and then playing Pal Pad to put draw supporters back into your deck can also be a good way to modify your deck ratios to draw into them much more easily. It's both a blessing and a curse, really.

If Fairy ever gets big, then Steel will just get bigger, or a deck that just outspeeds will show up and ignore weakness altogether, like how Buzzwole bopped Gardevoir GX in the first place. I'm not sure how this will work, because Sylveon GX is already a top tier counter to UNGX & Ray, but you don't see Sylveon GX as part of any top contending list over in Japan right now despite the recent Rayquaza GX sweep at a big event. It kind of just falls short in non-Dragon match ups whereas Ray can just OHKO anything at free will.

Zeraora GX being not weak to Fairy is also part of the reason why it's the best support for Ray, because having an alternative attacker that doesn't get deleted by Fairy can help you accelerate Ray to a point where you can OHKO Fairy in return.

It'll all come down to testing and results. Watching Japan will also be a good resource on seeing how things will end up here as well.

I'm not going to make a BDIF call, but I do think that Rayquaza GX has more potential than I originally gave it.

You can run three Rescue Stretcher, two Pal Pad, etc., but you can't guarantee that you're able to keep those from getting discarded either. Those cards are a good means to an end in hoping your mills aren't reckless and costly, but I think you sacrifice consistency playing high numbers of those cards that don't contribute to Ray's strategy. They're more of a Band-Aid for another problem, if that makes sense. I would opt to simply play more Supporters (and I would definitely play two Rescue Stretcher, three seems high).

I'm mostly basing those numbers off of Japanese Ray/Zeraora GX lists. They all seem very settled on 4 Cynthia, 3 Lillie (3 Lillie because of 4 Ultra Ball 4 Mysterious Treasure), 2 Sightseer, 1 T&L, 3 Rescue Stretchers and 2 Pal Pads. I haven't seen a single list deviate from those numbers yet, but I'm sure they exist, and I'm not trying to imply that everyone who plays Ray has to play this ratio. I don't really believe in the 1 T&L and just prefer 3 Sightseers myself, and I'm pretty certain that 2 Rescue Stretcher would also be fine.

If you end up milling a Rescue Stretcher or Pal Pad, I just take that as a good mill instead of milling the cards I needed. Yes, there will be games where you will mill a rescue stretcher and 2 Pokemon, or a Pal Pad and 1-2 supporters, but I think mathematics are more in your favor to not have that happen. Between 4 Rayquaza GX and 16 energy, what are you more likely to mill? 16 energy. Between 4 Cynthia and 16 energy what are you more likely to mill? 16 energy.

I'm not saying it's fool proof, but I think there's a reason why Ray GX just swept Japan recently, and I think part of that is because the milling isn't nearly as bad as we think it is. Or it could just be because in a format where 50% of the people are playing Ray, odds are Ray is going to be in 1st place just due to sheer quantity.

I think it's worth trying, but we have to wait until SM7a anyway.

In some very early testing, I found ray to be an extremely snowbally deck. My list currently runs 4 batons, which help to just crush opponents, and a lot of the time, field blower doesn’t hurt it too bad, because the energy keeps coming. With the access to 4 forms of energy acceleration (shuckles ability and attack, rays ability, zeroras gx and latias prism) energy isn’t ever a problem. I don’t even think fairies are much of a threat because rayquaza can consistently get revenge KO’s and hit 300 damage easily. Rayquaza is also an all basic deck and is much quicker than both gardy and sylveon.

I’m currently testing Rayquaza-GX with Magnezone from FLI.
This one is superior to Vika, since there only needs to be a 2-1-2 line with 3 Rare Candy (if even that). It uses Volkner and Lady to put down huge amounts of Lightning Energy very quickly. Plus, you only ever need the one Magnezone! Vikavolt usually requires multiple versions lying around, And VikaRay usually has to have a few Tapu Bulu-GX, meaning they’re just glorified Bulu decks.

Interesting... Although some things I'm thinking of now:
- How can you get the necessary grass energy consistent enough? Do you whiff every now and then like Ultra Necrozma sometimes missed the metal energy?
- Why VikaRay has to have Tapu Bulu GX? I don't play Tapu Bulu in that deck at the moment, just a Tapu Koko GX is fine I guess.

Also I'm not really sure if Magnezone is superior to Vikavolt. Vikavolt will search 1 grass and 1 lightning (so always meeting the energy requirements of Rayquaza), and will search it from deck. I guess if Magnezone would be really that great, more people would play Dusk Mane Necrozma GX since that one has more HP, a irrelevant weakness at the moment, an attack which will OHKO almost everything in the current meta and has more support (Mt Cournet for example). And that deck doesn't even has 2 different energy. I'm not sure whether you will have more than 2 lightning in your hand every turn, at which point it might be faster than 1 Vikavolt, and I don't think I'm willing to use my supporter for turn just to get the energy I needed... Sometimes you want to play Guzma for example.

I definitely will test it since I see how it could be better, but I'm just not certain it will be better than VikaRay.

Also I wouldn't feel comfortable with playing a 2-1-2 line. If 1 of your Magnemite or Magnezone is prized and your opponent plays a Guzma, you'll auto-lose I guess. Even if I would consider Magnezone, I would still play a 3-1-3 or a 4-0-3 line with 3 or maybe 4 rare candy.

And I think Vikavolt is a better attacker, with Choice Band it's hitting 180, which could be the game winning KO on a Lele or another max 180 HP Pokemon.

So although it's very interesting, I haven't thought about that and it's worth testing, I'm not convinced already it will be better.

Well, let me go down this for a sec.

1. I’m running a 7-5 Lightning Grass line. My setup works like this: T1 do the do (I thought of Hala/Judge + Tempest GX if you’re going second), t2 Volkner for Rare Candy and Lightning, put down Lightning with Ability, T3 Lady for a Grass and 3 Lightning, or even 4 Lightning if Grass has already been placed on Rays, then with manual attachments, you should have 7-8 Energy on field by T3, using only the one Stage 2. Set-up is really consistent, I was surprised.

2. Let me reiterate by saying that you need multiple Vikavolt, otherwise you’re attaching only 3 energy per turn (Magnezome has technically infinite). Which is good, yeah, especially if you’re using Choice Band to fill the gaps. But why do that when with Magnezome you can reach T3 OHKO levels, and be able to use Wishful Baton instead since Choice Band at that point is unnecessary?

3. Magnezone still attacks for 150 with the same Energy cost, but doesn’t need any discards to do so. Plus, it can use Dashing Pouch to pick up Lightning when you retreat to play it back again immediately. If you’re somehow still using Choice Band, you can still hit for 180. Also, Magnezome has the same weakness, same HP, and it’s the same type. The only difference is the method used to accelerate energy.

4. With the 3 turn set up I was talking about, once the Magnezone is up, it’s almost always done it’s job at that point. So having it dead is no problem. I do agree I could use a bit more Magnemite though.

5. Back to the Grass, I’ve never had problems with it, but I’m assuming that a Grass whiff is possible. Which I guess would be a weakness.

EDIT:
Also forgot to mention.
There’s 3 Volkner. 1 always used T2.
Other ones can be used to grab Mysterious Treasure and a Lightning, discard Lightning with Mysterious, grab a Rayquaza, use Ability when Benched, then accelerate that way too.
Also have Latias Prism in there in case set-up is fudged beyond control.

EDIT2:
Spelling and grammar check.

EDIT3:
Really do try it. I just feel like it plays more Energy-per-turn.
I used it with Raichu-GX before I got the Rayquaza-GX, which is where I got the idea from.

Last edited:
Okay, fair enough! Interesting discussion :)

1. Should be fine indeed. Although the difference with Vikavolt is small I guess, since if you manage to get Vikavolt turn 2, like you suggested, then you have 1 energy from turn 1, 3 energy T2 and 3 energy T3 = 7 energy, so that's almost the same I guess and hitting 210 without Chocie Band will get the same OHKO's.. And that's without the ability Rayquaza itself.

2. Like I stated above, I'm still not sure why 3 energy every turn (without even the use of Rayquaza's ability) wouldn't be enough. And with 2 Vikavolt it's 5 energy every turn without using a supporter to do so, and in almost every turn I will get 2 Vikavolt up and running at some point during the game.

3. There's my math problem... How does Magnezone attack for 150? We're talking about Magnezone 36/131 from Forbidden Light, right? Base damage is 130? With Choice Band 160, missing OHKO's...?

4. I see that. I like to get 2 Vikavolt, but a lot of the times that's just to hit like 300+, which is nice but not really necessary. Although it will secure that a Guzma on a Vikavolt won't hurt you anymore.

5. I guess.. I've seen it in Ultra Necrozma (whiffing metal, when played 3 metal and 1 Beast energy). Sure you have 5 here, but still... Would suck if you have like 7 energies on board but missing the grass on that Rayquaza.

In both cases problems could come if you miss turn 2 Vikavolt / Magnezone. So I feel like that's most important... Making sure you're really building your deck consistent enough.

And I think people will tech against Ultra Necrozma and Rayquaza by using one-prize attackers. That's why I want to have Vikavolt with Choice Band as a possibility for a 1 prize attacker getting OHKO's on quite a few GX's, like Lele.

Okay, fair enough! Interesting discussion :)

1. Should be fine indeed. Although the difference with Vikavolt is small I guess, since if you manage to get Vikavolt turn 2, like you suggested, then you have 1 energy from turn 1, 3 energy T2 and 3 energy T3 = 7 energy, so that's almost the same I guess and hitting 210 without Chocie Band will get the same OHKO's.. And that's without the ability Rayquaza itself.

2. Like I stated above, I'm still not sure why 3 energy every turn (without even the use of Rayquaza's ability) wouldn't be enough. And with 2 Vikavolt it's 5 energy every turn without using a supporter to do so, and in almost every turn I will get 2 Vikavolt up and running at some point during the game.

3. There's my math problem... How does Magnezone attack for 150? We're talking about Magnezone 36/131 from Forbidden Light, right? Base damage is 130? With Choice Band 160, missing OHKO's...?

4. I see that. I like to get 2 Vikavolt, but a lot of the times that's just to hit like 300+, which is nice but not really necessary. Although it will secure that a Guzma on a Vikavolt won't hurt you anymore.

5. I guess.. I've seen it in Ultra Necrozma (whiffing metal, when played 3 metal and 1 Beast energy). Sure you have 5 here, but still... Would suck if you have like 7 energies on board but missing the grass on that Rayquaza.

In both cases problems could come if you miss turn 2 Vikavolt / Magnezone. So I feel like that's most important... Making sure you're really building your deck consistent enough.

And I think people will tech against Ultra Necrozma and Rayquaza by using one-prize attackers. That's why I want to have Vikavolt with Choice Band as a possibility for a 1 prize attacker getting OHKO's on quite a few GX's, like Lele.

Responding:

1&2: What’s easier to set up, 1 Stage 2, or 2 Stage 2s? Answer will always be 1 Stage 2.

3: Ah fudge, you’re right. I wasn’t looking at the card in question. Good point, but Ray’s you’re attacking Pokémon anyways. That’s a good point for using Vika over Magne, but it’s not enough to convince me, yet.

4: One of the only decks that can set up to attack for high damage T2 can’t Guzma out and OHKO a Magnezone, since Choice, whatever doesn’t work. Good example is Zoroark. If there’s 2 Lightning put on Magnezone T3 with Dashing Pouch, you can retreat and then place down that Lightning again immediately. After the Lady and there’s 7-8 Energy out, Magne is pointless to have, and you only need Ray and Latias to return Energy from discard at that point to maintain the Energy levels.

5: I’ve changed my deck list to have 3 Magnemite and 6 Grass Energy, so I’ll see if that changes anything. It should improve play a lot, especially with T1 Lillie or T1 Tempests. Consistency is always a problem with Stage 2s, and hopefully, Standard 2019 will be kinder to stage 2s.

Finally, in your afterthought you mention 1-prize anti-Ray/Ultra techs. TRUE, however Magnezone should still hit for decent damage on techs (and avoid OHKOs from said techs)... dunno if there’s a Fairy tech or not. But both decks do get their asses handed to them by Sylveon/Gardevoir, which neither Vikavolt nor Magnezone can OHKO.

So both sides have benefits.

Vikavolt: Lightning AND Grass acceleration for 2 confirmed attachments per turn with 1 of them up (safer, too), Can also OHKO if deck runs Choice Band.

Magnezone: Essentially endless Lightning per turn with one of them up, deck can use Dashing Pouch, Lady can put down 120 worth of damage guaranteed, can use less Pokémon and more Energy.

And then both sides have weaknesses.

Vikavolt: Slower, requires multiple in play to put more than 2 Energy confirmed per turn, cannot utilize Dashing Pouch, has to run larger numbers of Pokémon

Magnezone: Whiffing Grass is possible, cannot OHKO, doesn’t run Choice Band (usually), requires using an Energy-grabbing Supporter for T2-T3 instead of draw Supporters, manual grass attachments.

True... Nice comparison!

But 1 Vikavolt is enough in my opinion for the first turns, so I don't really see the 'slower' point, another Vikavolt might come later as 1 prize attacker / just in case your stage 2 get's Guzma's en KO, but is absolutely not necessary to get 2 Vikavolt for OHKO's starting turn 3 already.

And I don't really see why Dashing Pouch is great, Vikavolt can attack next turn by just using manual attachment and ability, doesn't have to get out of the active spot. Dashing Pouch works nicely with the ability of Magnezone, but doesn't really in case of Vikavolt. And if I'm using Choice Band for a OHKO, I can't use Dashing Pouch.

And I guess Magnezone could use more energy indeed. Fun fact is that I'm running 7 grass and 7 lightning and 2 energy recycler though. And I don't think you have to run your support line (Vikavolt) in larger numbers, it's just that I want to to get the consistency I want (turn 2 Vikavolt). I'm playing Volkner's as well.

Fairy tech will be Dedenne I guess, which I consider to run myself. For 2 colorless energy and Choice Band that's a OHKO on Rayquaza with weakness if you have a lightning Pokemon on the bench, which we both could play I guess. So you could consider that too.

To conclude, guess we're both pretty sure our own variant is better ;) But I'll test yours... And I really hope you will test mine as well!

Back