Discussion Is Raichu GX and Magnetic Circuit Magnezone a viable deck?

From what I've playtested so far, Raichu is proving to be pretty fearsome, but of course, not with Magnezone. Raikou allows you to play Max Elixir, and is a lot more consistent than the Mag route. Also, just a little advice: Play Marshadow in as many decks as you can. We need to see what it's good in, since it's likely to become a staple. It's really nice in Raichu. IDK how I feel about Electrode yet, but I think it's not very good. @Kietharr made some good points as of why, but I do disagree with the statement about it not being good in standard. @CaptZero also made a good point about Gardy, but I will say that the reason Gardy is a bad matchup is because of Gallade, and how fast they are. I still don't like Gardevoir, but my opinion on it changed from "bad" to "dis-likable". 4 Energy and aChoice Band or 5 Energy isn't hard for Gardy. It just isn't easy either. It's debatable whether or not you should play Koko (specifically for this matchup), and I say no, although I'll admit that it does have its' merits.

It's debatable whether or not you should play Koko (specifically for this matchup), and I say no, although I'll admit that it does have its' merits.

I'm honestly not sure why it's a debate. Playing a single Koko GX is a great way to blow up high energy decks like Gardy and Volc and it's also perfect for energy preservation.

I'm honestly not sure why it's a debate. Playing a single Koko GX is a great way to blow up high energy decks like Gardy and Volc and it's also perfect for energy preservation.
Because Raichu can handle Gardy by itself. The problem with that matchup is Gallade. Volcanion should also be a 50-50 matchup. If Muscle Band were in format, I'd say definitely play a 1-Koko GX, since it would be able to kill Gallade. Koko is also really easy for both of the decks you listed to revenge kill.

Because Raichu can handle Gardy by itself. The problem with that matchup is Gallade. Volcanion should also be a 50-50 matchup. If Muscle Band were in format, I'd say definitely play a 1-Koko GX, since it would be able to kill Gallade. Koko is also really easy for both of the decks you listed to revenge kill.

It's not about Raichu not being able to handle it, it's about giving yourself more tools to work with (and frankly a more relevant GX attack). The idea is to use Koko as a closer or in a situation where they wouldn't have the tools to revenge kill Koko. If you're going to be playing Tapu Koko Promo, which I also think you should since Raichu is going to be aiming more for the two shot game than for the one shot game and that card can make the math on two shots much easier, Tapu Koko GX can also one hit Gallade.

Played against a version of this today.

As a garbodor player, if my opponent's game is basically over when I get turn 2 garbotoxin then there's work to be done. To be fair, I was playing against someone who isn't very good at the game because he did struggled to get a Lysander out after about 10 turns, at which point I rescue stretchered it back almost immediately after playing a Lele that I'd been sitting on. This could have been mitigated by 2/3 field blower but I run 8 tools in my deck and unless they're a good enough player to count me using them, the chances of that being anything more than a temporary solution seem low.

I think there's a good deck in there somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure where. Anything so deeply ability dependent (Magnezone, Electrode, Koko GX) that gets completely shut down by one play feels like it's fighting a losing battle by design.

Because Raichu can handle Gardy by itself. The problem with that matchup is Gallade. Volcanion should also be a 50-50 matchup. If Muscle Band were in format, I'd say definitely play a 1-Koko GX, since it would be able to kill Gallade. Koko Loki is also really easy for both of the decks you listed to revenge kill.
Played against a version of this today.

As a garbodor player, if my opponent's game is basically over when I get turn 2 garbotoxin then there's work to be done. To be fair, I was playing against someone who isn't very good at the game because he did struggled to get a Lysander out after about 10 turns, at which point I rescue stretchered it back almost immediately after playing a Lele that I'd been sitting on. This could have been mitigated by 2/3 field blower but I run 8 tools in my deck and unless they're a good enough player to count me using them, the chances of that being anything more than a temporary solution seem low.

I think there's a good deck in there somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure where. Anything so deeply ability dependent (Magnezone, Electrode, Koko GX) that gets completely shut down by one play feels like it's fighting a losing battle by design.
I 100% agree, which is why I say that Raikou is the better solution. As a Drampa/ Garb player, I know that anything like Magnezone gets completely shut out of the game once Garbodor is out, on top of THEM having to worry about getting it running in the first place.

I
I prefer Electrode, especially with some cheeky Counter Catcher KOs
I love the idea of using Counter Catcher through Electrode but the issue I see is that depending on your board state, I'm not sure if the extra 40 damage you would get from Electrode is enough to get a good enough kill for the free prize card. I would imagine that whatever you are pulling off the bench is probably fresh and bulky most times. It's a great idea though. Sounds like a fun play.

I

I love the idea of using Counter Catcher through Electrode but the issue I see is that depending on your board state, I'm not sure if the extra 40 damage you would get from Electrode is enough to get a good enough kill for the free prize card. I would imagine that whatever you are pulling off the bench is probably fresh and bulky most times. It's a great idea though. Sounds like a fun play.
Yeah... only 40 damage... that's one problem that Darkrai doesn't have to deal with.

No one has talked about vikavolt, why?XD (Just in case you can't tell i'm joking :p

I personally think neither magnezone and electore (without any testing to prove my thoughts) are good options, but something to maybe test would be 3 gx 4 pika 2 evoshock

I

At the beginning of the game you'll do at least 60 (20 + 40 from Electrode) which is enough. Plus there are Elixirs, Raikou, etc. You can do A TON

From what I've playtested so far, Raichu is proving to be pretty fearsome, but of course, not with Magnezone. Raikou allows you to play Max Elixir, and is a lot more consistent than the Mag route. Also, just a little advice: Play Marshadow in as many decks as you can. We need to see what it's good in, since it's likely to become a staple. It's really nice in Raichu. IDK how I feel about Electrode yet, but I think it's not very good. @Kietharr made some good points as of why, but I do disagree with the statement about it not being good in standard. @CaptZero also made a good point about Gardy, but I will say that the reason Gardy is a bad matchup is because of Gallade, and how fast they are. I still don't like Gardevoir, but my opinion on it changed from "bad" to "dis-likable". 4 Energy and aChoice Band or 5 Energy isn't hard for Gardy. It just isn't easy either. It's debatable whether or not you should play Koko (specifically for this matchup), and I say no, although I'll admit that it does have its' merits.

Marshadow-GX will find its place, but it's not going to be viable in most decks simply because most of the current standard play potent attackers are evolution pokemon (think Golisipod-GX, Gardevoir-GX) and Marshadow only copies attacks of basic pokemon.

Marshadow needs a way to get big basics into the discard pile (too bad Battle Compressor is out in standard). Or better yet, basics that cause a condition that locks up the opponent like Jolteon-EX and Glaceon-EX because they have the ability to block basic or evolution pokemon attacks.

Marshadow-GX will find its place, but it's not going to be viable in most decks simply because most of the current standard play potent attackers are evolution pokemon (think Golisipod-GX, Gardevoir-GX) and Marshadow only copies attacks of basic pokemon.

Marshadow needs a way to get big basics into the discard pile (too bad Battle Compressor is out in standard). Or better yet, basics that cause a condition that locks up the opponent like Jolteon-EX and Glaceon-EX because they have the ability to block basic or evolution pokemon attacks.
I meant the new baby Marshadow. The one where you bench it, and it's a judge

Back