Discussion Is Machamp-EX still viable?

LucRaph

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone. I need a help.
I like Machamp Ex so much, but without Korrina, Hawlucha, Landorus, Fighting Stadium, he still viable?
I like him with Ariados, and with max elixir, isn't hard make him work, but what card more I can use with Machamp Ex and Ariados?
I need a little help, for make this work better.

You can try pairing Machamp EX with Regirock EX so that you can hit the damage you need. With 1 Regirock EX on the bench you can hit 160 with Machamp's crazy hammer with Ariados providing posison for an extra 10 and Regirock EX providing an additional 10 damage to make 180 (enough to KO most EX pokemon) Since the meta is leaning more towards Mega EX Pokemon being strong, you're most likely going to need to hit around 220 damage. Fighting Fury Belt, and Strong Energy should help to provide that extra damage and Max Elixir would definitely up the deck's speed. Another good attacker/starting pokemon to run in the deck might be a Zygarde EX. Carbink and Carbink BREAK might also be good to prevent EX attackers from hitting you and to accelerate more energy including any Strong Energy that may be in the discard pile.

Hope this helps! I would love to see a deck list when you come up with one!

Here is a suggestion for Pokemon.

3 Machamp EX
2 Regirock EX
1 Zygarde EX
2 Carbink
2 Carbink Break

Let me know how it goes!

I don't really like carbink break in Machamp, only because it's such a distraction from the core function of the deck. I also tried a croagunk STS as a possible synergy to Ariados, but it never really saw much play. At present, I run the following Pokemon in my machamp ex deck:

2 x Shaymin EX
4 x Machamp EX
1 x Zygarde EX (this guy with a belt is magnificent)
3 x Ariados
3 x Spinarak
1 x each of the FAC carbink

The only matchup that really hurts for this deck is sceptile, since you can't OHKO, can't poison them, and the healing loop just goes on forever. Alakazam can be rough too if they get enough damage onto a Machamp to crush it in one shot. Switches are a must as well, as they let you deal with the fallout of a Steaming Mad easily, and that attack has proven it's worth for me more times than I can count.

Such a fun deck to play!

A different approach than Ariados, would be to pair Machamp with Dugtrio. Dugtrio's first attack is a one energy wonder that puts damage counters on your own bench:

[F] Earthquake: 60 damage. This attack does 10 damage to each of your Benched Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

This can quickly become more than 60 thanks to Fighting Stadium, Strong Energy, Regirock-EX/base Machamp on the bench etc. The general idea of the deck being, to open with this attack a few times and put counters on your benched Machamp-EX, who can come in later as sweepers using their own first attack.

[F][C] Steaming Mad: 20× damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of damage counters on this Pokémon. This Pokémon is now Confused.

Heavy boots will stop the confusion side effect, and give you a little more bulk to stack counters on. And if you can't find the boots, you can always try to use flip the confusion on the second attack.

It's not going to break the Meta, but it could be a fun deck to play with if you're desperate to use your favourite Pokémon.

You can try a build similar to Primal Groudon using Wobbuffet and/or Carbink Break and Regirock Promo, once Regirock is fully charged you hit a Ninja Boy for Machamp and go from there

A Poketuber made a Carbink/Machamp/Ariados deck, and it performed pretty well. Very straightforward as well, 2-2 Carbink, 3 Machamp, 2-2 Ariados, 2 Shaymin. Ran FFB over Heavy Boots, but of course you can tweak that at any time. I think Machamp may be a nice under-the-radar deck, but Mewtwo gives it SERIOUS problems. Mega Ray is a bit of a challenge, but Darkrai isn't too difficult provided you know that you're doing.

It relies heavily on abilities, that is Machamp's weakness. It also has trouwble against Mewtwo EX en Mega Gardevoir EX (STS) because of its Psychic Weakness. Not to forget Ariados can't poison Grass Types. Machamp EX is a strong attacker, but these disadvantages keep him down. My most recent Machamp list has a rather interesting approach so you may want to check it out.

• 4-2- Volcarona (Solar Birth)
  • 2-2- Ariados
  • 3- Machamp EX
  • 2- Shaymin EX
(15)
  • 3- Professor Sycamore
  • 3- N
  • 2- Lysandre
  • 2- Pokemon Ranger
(10)
  • 4- Forest of Giant Plants
  • 4- Ultra Ball
  • 4- VS Seeker
  • 4- Trainers' Mail
  • 2- Level Ball
  • 2- Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1- Heavy Boots
  • 3- Float Stone
  • 1- Super Rod
(25)
  • 4- Strong Energy
  • 5- Fighting Energy
  • 1- Fire Energy
(10)

Evolve Volcarona and Ariados during the first turn with Forest of Giant Plants thanks to their Grass pre-evolution. (Larvesta received a Grass version in Steam Siege) Then proceed to charge multiple Machamp EX with Solar Birth. Once you're ready to attack you can start a stream of 1 hit knock-outs!

A big misconception I see here is that Machamp can't handle M Mewtwo which isn't the truth the attack of M Mewtwo doesn't get doubled for weakness. Neither does dmg change of course leaving just the first attack which isn't gonna be enough to take out Machamp. A fury belted Machamp requires 7 total energy to OHKO. A smart Machamp player wont have more than two until the third is needed so Machamp becomes a tough out for Mewtwo. Garb is a threat to the deck due of course but if you can keep those off the board its a nightmare matchup for Mewtwo. Overall I think it's slightly in Machamp's favor.

Scizor is a favorable matchup as Machamp can ohko Scizor and not vice versa. A typical Scizor match for me involves a 4-2 prize trade.

The bigger problems are of course the OHKO decks. Mega Ray is unfavorable but Carbink does big work here. Rainbow road is close to an auto loss. M Gardevoir STS also of course presents big problems.

Overall I think the deck is a solid tier two status but could become an issue as much of the hate for Mewtwo decks will also effect it.

Here's my current list if anyone wants to test.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Carbink BREAK FAC 51
* 2 Carbink FAC 50
* 3 Machamp-EX AOR 37
* 1 Zygarde-EX PR-XY XY151
* 2 Spinarak AOR 5
* 2 Ariados AOR 6

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Scorched Earth PRC 138
* 4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 1 Olympia GEN 66
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 N FAC 105
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 12

* 4 Strong Energy FFI 104
* 8 Fighting Energy BLWEnergy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Back