Help Is It Time to Pull out Greninja?

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all I have a fortnight of 2 league cups, challenge, 1 saturday and 2 saturday night tournament and I want to do well. Since Forbidden Light has been released my results and overall effort has decreased. (You would see multiple threads made by myself, as I really want to improve my game.)
My question to you helpful people is that is it time to pull out the good old Greninja BREAK. Here is why I believe why.

1. Against malamar shadow stitching will shut down the deck and only reliant on a few early turn psychic recharge and Max elixir which is enough to take 3-4 prizes.
2. Two Giant water shuriken is 120 + 70 (shadow stitching w/choice band) = a nice 190 dmg which KO 's Buzzwole in Beast box.
3. With the Forbidden light Greninja line you can snipe of Zoroarks or other 210hp pokemon with a combination of simply 190 dmg and dig for the extra 20 dmg for 210.
4. Potential 4 prize card turn.
5. Possible techs w/Espeon EX for things like malamar.
6. Shuts down Giratina w/shadow stitching (I think)

What are your thoughts on if I should play this or not.
If so how should I go up each matchup (Malamar, Fighting Beast box, popular decks)
If not what deck should I play and how I would go up that matchup.

Peace Out, TES

it doesn't shut down giratina

I mean, technically it does shut down Giratina. But Greninja Break's abilities don't do a heck of a lot during your opponent's turn.

And I'm inclined to think that if you're making this mistake, you aren't knowledgeable enough with the deck to do well in the current meta. Buzzwole isn't a good matchup. And there are a number of Malamar builds that can handle 'Ninja once Giratina comes into play.

I've been playing Ninja since late Summer last year. It's an amazing deck, probably the best in the format... but ONLY when it's set up. When it doesn't set up it's incredibly stressful. Here are some of my thoughts looking at this thread:

- Personally, I haven't seen Giratina Promo in a match-up in months. Greninja is losing play with the rotation on the horizon. Don't worry too much about Giratina
- I recently came 3rd in a cup. I beat pretty much the whole meta: Zoro decks, multiple Buzz decks, Malamar, etc etc. However, in my final game I came up against Espeon/Garb, I knew it'd be a hard game but I was confident. But I started with Starmie and prized 2 Frogadier's. I basically run out of 'luck'. Greninja can be very inconsistent. Always bare this in mind! (Nevertheless, I still think its a fun deck)
- Time is of the essence. You need to set up ASAP. x4 Frogadier ASAP. I actually run one copy of Wally and a Lele to help with this. I tested it and it worked about 60% of the time at my tourny + league. Works like this - if you're going Turn 2:
  • Froakie already as active
  • Ultra Ball for Lele
  • Lele for Wally
  • Wally for Frogadier - evolve Froakie into Frogadier
  • Water Duplicates
  • BOOM
The face people made when I'd do this play was awesome.

Conclusion - In such a fast paced meta you NEED to set up quick with Greninja. Practice with it loads to get used to the deck because it can get messy real quick. If you already have all the cards to make the deck - great. If you don't, I wouldn't bother investing in it. Loyal Ninja players like myself are moving away from it playing other decks with the rotation coming up... plus I'm a little bored of how inconsistent it can be. "Let the past die."

Greninja seems like a really solid choice right now because no one is playing giratina and Espeon/garb is basically done too.

Why would Giratina be played with Malamar to counter Buzzwole? With all due respect, that doesn't make much sense (unless I'm missing something!)
https://www.trollandtoad.com/p1109114.html
It doesn't, although Giratina XY184 can OHKO a Buzzwole-GX with Shadow Claw and do some hand milling with the attack's effect under dire circumstances thanks to weakness.

But he does have a point about Giratina still seeing use in Malamar, both builds of of the deck archetype that were played at Sheffield Regionals (Necrozma-GX centric and Ultra Necrozma-GX centric) ran Giratina XY184 as a one-of.

If your meta has a lot of Malamar builds it can work out. but against Buzzwoles it's terrible.

other than that, the deck loses to itself so often.. so I believe it's never a safe choice.

when it works it's fun though.

Back