Help Is Fake Out Really Good?

Gamerdynasty4ever

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, I have a question to ask. So when I started my competitive VG team, I used mega kangaskhan and I taught it fake out to get the double STAB. But just now, I was looking at my pokemon team and I thought "fake out can only be used once, so whats the point of having a one use move". I know that it can be used to flinch your opponent but it does take up a move and I could be teaching it toxic or something. Currently, my kangaskhan's move set is: fake out, rock slide, earthquake, and drain punch. I don't know if I should keep or get rid of fake out. Please help!

Fake out on Khan lets you hit twice with a reasonably powerful, high priority STAB on the turn you activate your mega stone (making up for the fact that you're still at base 75 speed on that turn since speed order is set at the start of the turn). It also guarantees the flinch (bar pokemon with Inner Focus/etc.) and doesn't effectively 'waste' a turn or move slot like Protect can. The main reason to keep it over Protect is the damage it does turn 1, making it much easier to KO turn 2 with your now-base-100 speed and/or Sucker Punch, if you also carry that. Khan also switches out often as a counter is brought in, so the next time it comes in, it can use Fake Out again

Fake Out is an excellent move that not only makes your opponent flinch, but, with Khan, you hit the opponent twice, making your opponent weak enough to be usually KO'd by most other moves Khan has. Protect let's your Pokemon stay in for the turn yes, but it could also allow your opponent to get in Tailwind or something important, so it doesn't quite work out all the time (not saying Protect is bad, but it's better off on other Pokemon).

Assuming the metagame which this Mega-Kangaskhan is participating in is doubles, then Fake Out is definitely worthwhile. It's one of the best moves in the metagame because it decommissions one of your opponents for a turn, which can be extremely worthwhile if your partner is countered by one of your opponent's Pokémon but not the other, a very common scenario. Given the use of Rock Slide on your moveset, we can assume it is.

In singles it's less useful because it doesn't do that much damage. Oftentimes your opponent would switch out, and potentially more damage can be inflicted on the switch.

Fake out on Khan lets you hit twice with a reasonably powerful, high priority STAB on the turn you activate your mega stone (making up for the fact that you're still at base 75 speed on that turn since speed order is set at the start of the turn). It also guarantees the flinch (bar pokemon with Inner Focus/etc.) and doesn't effectively 'waste' a turn or move slot like Protect can. The main reason to keep it over Protect is the damage it does turn 1, making it much easier to KO turn 2 with your now-base-100 speed and/or Sucker Punch, if you also carry that. Khan also switches out often as a counter is brought in, so the next time it comes in, it can use Fake Out again

wait? fake out can be used multiple times? I thought fake out could only be used the first turn out.

Last edited:
wait? fake out can be used multiple times? I thought fake out could only be used the first turn out.

Mega Kangaskhan can hit with it twice thanks to its ability. After switching out and in- You can use Fake out again. Simply put, you cannot use Fake out after you used it once, until you switch out and in.

To clarify, Mega-Kangaskhan's Parental Bond ability means every attack is multi-hit, meaning that it deals more than one value of damage in a turn. Fake Out is still usable only on the turn Mega-Kangaskhan is sent out. :)

Mega Kangaskhan can hit with it twice thanks to its ability. After switching out and in- You can use Fake out again. Simply put, you cannot use Fake out after you used it once, until you switch out and in.

But doesn't fake out say that the user can only use it on it's first turn?

Back