Is a Pre-Release worth the Money?

DmightyB

Da Mighty Bee
My 1st Pre-Release was back in 2008, where I was in DP series and the set was with the legends awakened :D It was a memorable experience, I got my favourite card: Heatran and I came like 4th back in the day so was happy :) also the Pre-Release Buck's training was amazing, sadly trade it and regret it :(

Tomorrow a Fates Collide Pre-Release was going to be made in my local TCG hub, and it's not as amazing as it was once before:
I no longer get a swag packet of sleeves and one less packet. So for 25 euro, I get 7 boosters from what I know and a promo card only. It feels void as I'm really unlucky with boosters (always sticked to blisters as I'm luckier that way XD ) and they doen't give any goodies at all :/

Meanwhile I found an offer for a good condition Base Set Charizard for 20 euro, and personally am feeling lucky to have found one this cheap XD am really considering the charizard as I don't have to gamble my money on an event, as I already have plenty of cards to battle with decks then just burn money on a promo card and random boosters :/ My question is: Is it worth 25 euro people, or should I just buy theBase Set Charizard and keep my 5 eur for something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved to the TCG Help & Advice as questions on TCG decisions are better suited here. ~bbninjas

(sgtfrog)

good boi
I know this a late reply but before I got a job I would sell my Rare cards to the comic shop that the prerelease was hosted in. I made around half as much it would cost so it didn't feel like I wasted money.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
This prerelease is worth it: Sure, you get 4 packs at start, but look at one card in particular: The Delphox(has a three out of four(or so the lists on pokebeach say so far) chance of coming in the evolution pack in the prerelease box) that improved PLS Gallade/PRC Huntail by means of counting the energy on both sides of the field vs. just your side... Look at the Carbink w/ Safeguard. And most of all, look at the White Kyurem... All that makes this prerelease worth it, although if not for the power of the attacks from the aforementioned cards, especially Delphox, whose Psystorm(?) most likely spiked the prerelease value(although it's still $25-30 at face value), this prerelease would have been a waste of money compared to the BS Charizard that you saw, but...

^ Thank the Delphox for making this prerelease worth it!

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
there are several factors to consider whether a prerelease is worth it, first you have to consider what you get out of the prerelease, well you get the cards for starters you get to play in a semi casual tournament and there's socializing/trading with friends.

so lets break it down

playing in a tournament: always fun and you can see somewhat how the new card combos can work or discover ones you didn't notice before
socializing/trading: always good to hang out with your friends and since you sound like a collector its a good place to trade for cards you have your eye on.

as for the cards themselves consider this, last prerelease people got 8 packs total from the event so 80 cards, the new prerelease gives 4 + 23 card evo pack + 3 after for total of 93 for same price, true the evo pack means you have basically 1 less chance of pulling an EX but in place you get 13 more cards. of those 23 evo cards 5 appear to be rare (or rare promo reprint) and 6 are trainers which is slightly better odds then a regular pack. 93 cards at $30 also puts the pack price at around 3.33~ which I think you can only get cheaper if your buying booster boxes.

so considering all that I think prerelease is worth it currently.

thecowisred

Aspiring Trainer
I feel it depends on what why you want to attend the pre-release. If you are a collector or its just to be the first to get cards from the new set and play a friendly tournament...then it's worth it. If you are looking for specific cards from the new set, which is the boat I am in to build new decks for my kids to play in tournaments, I just pre-order play sets of the new trainers we want to use for decks and any of the Pokémon we want to try. In my experience, it costs about the same, but the way I do it I am getting the cards we want and not a bunch of cards we don't, then have to turn around and buy what I need. I'm not much a of a collector these days with 2 kids playing competitively... it gets a little expensive!

Just my 2 cents!

Phototoxin

I herd u leik mudkipz?
My Pre-Release was £20 for 6 packs + 2 at the end. (everyone gets 8, no prizes for winning). Considering that in the UK a booster is £3.50 (£3 at discount in FLGS, £4 in expensive places like WH Smiths) and that 8x£3.50 = £28 then it is good value. You usually get a good pre-release promo as well.

Also it's FUN to have a lot of pokefans together playing for fun.

I still won tho :p

DmightyB

Da Mighty Bee
I know this a late reply but before I got a job I would sell my Rare cards to the comic shop that the prerelease was hosted in. I made around half as much it would cost so it didn't feel like I wasted money.
Smart move :p Wow, my shop doesn't do that XD I luckily used my cash instead on some cards , nice full art s and got myself the base set of charizard instead XD

My Pre-Release was £20 for 6 packs + 2 at the end. (everyone gets 8, no prizes for winning). Considering that in the UK a booster is £3.50 (£3 at discount in FLGS, £4 in expensive places like WH Smiths) and that 8x£3.50 = £28 then it is good value. You usually get a good pre-release promo as well.

Also it's FUN to have a lot of pokefans together playing for fun.

I still won tho :p
ours was nice, I was there but didn't attend, had chosen it wasn't worth it , instead bought 2 blister after and opened with some tcg pals and got like : regirock ex, genesect ex , bronzong break and literal reverse doubles of moltres ,and 2 grumpigs :p

Last edited by a moderator: