Iron Hands ex, Skeledirge ex, Iron Jugulus, Slither Wing, Yveltal, and More from “Paradox Rift!”

I'm still thinking that this Skeledirge could be a branching version of Charizard, just instead of energy acceleration we get damage boost. Using Live Coal of Fuecoco after discarding 5 Fire Energy is enough to KO even the bulkiest meta pokemon in the format (not possible, but still). Even in junction with Charizard for that acceleration may not be half bad. Fire is getting so much support right now it's insane, it just needs another Blacksmith or Kiawe for it to be broken. May not need it though, Energy Search and Superior Energy Retrieval are enough to get you off your feet with the deck.

If you REALLY want to push this card to its limits, Skeledirge ex with Iron Hands ex, as long as you can accelerate the energy and bear with the KOs coming back at you, can guarantee 2+ prizes each turn. Talk about the return of ADP GX.

I'm still thinking that this Skeledirge could be a branching version of Charizard, just instead of energy acceleration we get damage boost. Using Live Coal of Fuecoco after discarding 5 Fire Energy is enough to KO even the bulkiest meta pokemon in the format (not possible, but still). Even in junction with Charizard for that acceleration may not be half bad. Fire is getting so much support right now it's insane, it just needs another Blacksmith or Kiawe for it to be broken. May not need it though, Energy Search and Superior Energy Retrieval are enough to get you off your feet with the deck.

If you REALLY want to push this card to its limits, Skeledirge ex with Iron Hands ex, as long as you can accelerate the energy and bear with the KOs coming back at you, can guarantee 2+ prizes each turn. Talk about the return of ADP GX.
I wondered if Skeledirge ex would just become a deck? If you could tech in enough healing to keep the regular Skeledirge doing max damage then adding 60 does 330. I feel like it wouldn't make the deck super clunky if you're trying to get out multiple stage 2 from the same Evolution line as opposed to teching a stage 2 into a deck like Charizard

I guess it's something that doesn't translate over very well. I was going off the Serebii translation which had it as 'Sumo Surge' (though in reality Amp You Very Much is better than that, even if the pun is a painful stretch).
Amp-le Thanks? Amp-preciation? Gene-ratitude? Iunno
Bulbapedia has it as "Thank-plify" but I think "Amp You Very Much" is way cooler

i'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but yveltal and brute bonnet's IRs confirm that we're gonna have around 25 illustration rares with this set. that's double the amount of illustration rares we had in obsidian flames!
That's simply because Obsidian Flames was based off of only one set, Paradox Rift is 3 sets combined. And we are actually getting 34 IRs in this set (should be 36 but 2 are being cut to be the ETB promos).

There is no argument for printing an OHKO attack without some gimmick, unless someone was purposefully trying to break every rule of good design.

The gimmick is instantly deleting something in exchange for putting yourself at low enough HP such that a stiff breeze will kill you. Getting 120 HP back is nice but, like I said, any deck worth its salt can do that much with no issue. Worst case scenario is they kill you anyway, which you as the Roaring Moon player are okay with. Best case scenario is they miss the return KO, in which case the opposing player was already having trouble and probably would have lost The Game anyway.

The fact that someone came up with Roaring Moon ex + Emergency Jelly and nobody stopped them is hilarious to me. You chalk up Lost Box or Genesect V to lack of testing and lack of foresight, but that's a 2-card combo that someone had to do on purpose.
The 120 heal only brings you up to 150 though. Every deck can easily hit 150.

The gimmick is instantly deleting something in exchange for putting yourself at low enough HP such that a stiff breeze will kill you.
Dealing damage to yourself isn't really a gimmick, it's on a bunch of cards. Of course RMex does "gimmicky" amount of damage to itself, which is where Emergency Jelly comes in.
Again, it really doesn't matter that decks running Genesect V, Arceus VMAX, t Charizard ex, etc. are going to deal with it. It's not that big of a flex to say this combo isn't as strong as some of the most broken cards this game has seen in a decade or more. The part where the design just skips everything regarding damage and prints an unconditional KO on a card is another powercreep and limits yet another design space. Where are we going to go up from here, unconditional KOs that progressively do less self-damage?

Dealing damage to yourself isn't really a gimmick, it's on a bunch of cards. Of course RMex does "gimmicky" amount of damage to itself, which is where Emergency Jelly comes in.
Again, it really doesn't matter that decks running Genesect V, Arceus VMAX, t Charizard ex, etc. are going to deal with it. It's not that big of a flex to say this combo isn't as strong as some of the most broken cards this game has seen in a decade or more. The part where the design just skips everything regarding damage and prints an unconditional KO on a card is another powercreep and limits yet another design space. Where are we going to go up from here, unconditional KOs that progressively do less self-damage?
Two-Prizers killing other two-Prizers is a fair trade, so I don't really care whether it gets the job done through normal damage means or through an instant kill, as long as the drawback for the instant kill is sufficient enough to keep things fair. Knocking yourself down to 30 HP, or 150 if you're willing to effectively waste your Tool slot, is perfectly fine.

"Of course RMex does "gimmicky" amount of damage to itself"

Which was the point being made...

"which is where Emergency Jelly comes in."

Except it doesn't... not really, does it? Meaning...who would waste deck slots for such a silly, meme worthy, non-competitive combo? All throughout this discussion you've managed to just completely ignore the points being made, that that's actually trash. No, it's not gonna "almost completely" cancel out the drawback like you seem to be thinking it will, in fact, no one in their right minds would even consider a deck based entirely on this card alone, this is just the tipical card where it gets played as a one of in other lists as a tech for some specific situations and that's it.

"Again, it really doesn't matter that decks running Genesect V, Arceus VMAX, t Charizard ex, etc. are going to deal with it. It's not that big of a flex to say this combo isn't as strong as some of the most broken cards this game has seen in a decade or more."

Again, wrong. Those decks aren't gonna beat this because they're broken, they're gonna beat this because this is not nearly as good as you're trying to make it out to be. Any half competitive deck would be able to deal with a supposed RMex + EJ "combo" deck, because it would be trash.

"The part where the design just skips everything regarding damage and prints an unconditional KO on a card is another powercreep and limits yet another design space. Where are we going to go up from here, unconditional KOs that progressively do less self-damage?"

And because you worked on the false assumption that the drawback is somehow irrelevant or cancelable by a meme combo, you act like this is some new groundbreaking thing, when it's really not, it's just another one of several KO attacks we had with different hoops to jump through and/or drawbacks. It's not some powercreep spiral like you're implying, we're not gonna "go up from here", because there's nothing really going anywhere, because this is not new or different in any major way.

Unless you could prevent the damage altogether like Protective Cube. I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that in standard. Roaring Moon would be beyond broken if a tool existed in standard that negated recoil damage. Especially with Arven being able to search for tools.
Broken no, very good. yes

So you don't think in expanded where it has access to Protection Cube that negates recoil damage that it will be broken? If not broken it will be very very good. How is guaranteed KO with no draw back not broken?
It really comes down to how consistently you are attacking into something worthwhile with that Roaring Moon early. By early, I mean like turn 1 going second. Being able to deal 220 damage for the same cost means it can take knockouts in some matchups, and not even have to worry about the downside of Frenzied Gouging until after taking like 4-5 prizes.

Expanded is such a hyper-quick format with such high damage output that main benefit to Protection Cube on Roaring Moon is so that strategies involving turn skips or additional prize pickups, like Regidrago VStar copying Timeless GX or DDoor Tsareena through chip damage, don’t obliterate you flat-out.

There are decks in expanded that would try to do what Roaring Moon can do too through just putting up high and quick damage, like DDoor Tsareena, Miraidon with all the previous Lightning support, or a dedicated turn-1 TinaChomp deck. Roaring Moon would have its role challenged immediately.

This is before even getting into how decks in expanded can blow up anything in the format simply by opening well, like GG End Lugia.

Protection Cube with Roaring Moon would not be broken in Expanded simply because everything around Roaring Moon in Expanded would be around as or more broken. When everyone is super, no one will be.

I know most of the thread is talking about being unhappy with the attack in and of itself, but I'm confused why so many people are bothered by this attack's name. It's not TPCI's best work, but they're trying to capture the fact the original attack name was a pun with electricity in it. I give them a ton of credit for making an attempt at preservation. Whether they should be questioned/criticized is when they fail to make an attempt, or even fumble basic work like transliterating attack names that are basically already in English, and most people shrugged at a recent example of this – hello, Gold Rush! – which is self-defeating because all it's doing is sending mixed messages to the translation team.
To me it's just another case of a pun working so much better in Japanese - I usually love pun attack names but this translation is just too much of a stretch and too wordy; I feel like I would've much preferred the more direct translation of "Thank-plify", even though yeah it still sounds ridiculous but not nearly as much as what they went with lol

so I don't really care
But I do.
We've only had a few double-KO attacks in the game (two, from what I could find). This is objectively better than a double-KO.
All throughout this discussion you've managed to just completely ignore the points being made, that that's actually trash.
I don't care about it's competitiveness in the format that doesn't even try to be balanced. I am painfully aware of the difference in perception here - I'm looking at it from the design standpoint, you're looking at it as a player, which is the principal motor that allows powercreep to exist. You are unable to view it in the context of the game as a whole, but only this little slice of metagame we're in now.
because this is not new or different in any major way
I found one card that has an unconditional KO attack, and that's Yveltal with a very obviously prohibitive Energy cost.

Last edited:
So you don't think in expanded where it has access to Protection Cube that negates recoil damage that it will be broken? If not broken it will be very very good. How is guaranteed KO with no draw back not broken?
Nope, have you seen current expanded decks, this requires more effort than they do to do the exact same thing.

Back