Writing Into the Caverns ~ Chapter 3

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Hey guys! I've always wanted to write stories, I've just felt a little embarrassed with showing them. But after giving it some thought, I decided that I'd give it a shot. Thanks for helping me get started Jesi!

So here it is, hope you guys like it! :D
Year 2028

Many years ago, in the region of Orre, both people and Pokemon lived in harmony, building together, training together and bonding together. With the way things were, everything was fine, almost perfect in fact, but it wasn’t as it looked.

As had everything else, scientific discoveries in what were called Shadow Pokemon had made countless breakthroughs. Previously, Shadow Pokemon were considered cold, heartless, war machines; now scientists had discovered that Shadow Pokemon possessed the abilities to heal rapidly. In time, a serum dubbed the Shadow Serum was developed from the DNA of the Pokemon to create a cure-all. Countless lives were saved, and few knew of any ways to die other than of old age.

However, all good things come to an end. Pokemon that had been cured with the Shadow Serum started to change. The effect varied depending on how severe the disease had been. Those that had been cured from minor things, ended up with a more wild nature than usual, so they were considered Savage, but these were considered less dangerous than the Shadows. Shadows were Pokemon that had been cured from deadly diseases who had turned black with darkness. Their shadows were so thick that once they turned, you could hardly make out the actual Pokemon. Like the Savages, the Shadows had a wild nature, but for some reason they were contagious. Those who were touched by them became overtaken by the darkness and became Shadows themselves. No one could stop the infected Pokemon and as a result, everything was in ruins no time. Hope had been lost in a matter of days, the amount of Shadows was growing, but when all seemed lost, hope reappeared.

From beyond the clouds, a white horse-like creature came down to Earth, with it came a beam of light that seemed to repel darkness. The Shadows backed away from it, they didn’t seem to like the light. The only place the light didn’t seem to reach was underground, so that’s where they went. Soon, all that was left above ground were Savages and survivors that hadn’t been infected. Life wouldn’t be the same again, but they moved on, slowly rebuilding their lives.

However, there were people and Pokemon that were bored of their new lives. They remembered how it was like before the Shadows came into existence and they yearned for it. So they did the unthinkable, they went underground, seeking a life of danger and adventure. Years passed before they came back, but eventually they did. The people and Pokemon who had gone down were changed, they were braver and stronger. They claimed to have built an empire underground called the Caverns, that it was fun, that it was safe. However, the people who lived aboveground did not like the idea of living so close to the Shadows. They argued and fought and lives were lost.

Eventually, the people of the Caverns retreated back underground. From that day on, they treated each other as different races called the Caveners and the Abovegrounders; they haven’t made contact since. Life continued as usual after the Caveners left, the Abovegrounders went on with their lives as they had before. They never did rebuild everything as they preferred to keep things simple. Perhaps that was because of their fights with the Caveners. Life was peaceful, they grew crops and built villages. They even learned how to live amongst the Savages. However, even though most enjoyed their lives, once in a while a child would be born that found the life of an Abovegrounder boring; they would go to great lengths to get to the Caverns.

This is the story of one of those children.

Last edited:
Very nice writing.
This vaguely reminds me of "The Giver", by Lois Lowry.

Is the "White horse-like Pokémon" Arceus, or is it another Legendary Pokémon that we do not know about?

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I can't wait for more!

Very nice writing.
This vaguely reminds me of "The Giver", by Lois Lowry.

Is the "White horse-like Pokémon" Arceus, or is it another Legendary Pokémon that we do not know about?

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I can't wait for more!
I haven't actually read The Giver before, but I looked it up and I guess it is a little similar.

Yes it's Arceus.

Thanks! And if I find some time, Chapter 1 should be up soon. :) I'm actually almost done writing it, it's just that I've had my hands full for a while so I haven't exactly been working on it. :x

Finished Chapter 1! :D
Year 300 729

It was a beautiful day, peaceful and quiet. The oasis was usually like this, except for maybe a few Pokemon here and there, but today it seemed more so than usual. Pikipek were singing, Cherrim were sitting in the sun, you could hardly tell that this place had once been overrun with Shadows.

“OW!”

The Pikipek flew from the trees they were perched on, screeching things that were drastically different from the songs they had sung, while the Cherrim ran into a couple of bushes. All this because of two kids standing behind some trees. One of them was a girl. She was fairly tall, had dark brown eyes, long brown hair and was wearing a ragged looking jacket. The other was a shorter boy with short spiky brown hair, dark brown eyes similar to the girl’s and a t-shirt. The two were brother and sister.

“That hurt, Kathryn...What did you do that for?!” Said the boy who had just been kicked by his sister. “Look, you scared away the Pokemon too! Why are we here anyways? You sort of just dragged me here without any explanation.”

“Oh quit whining, Noah. It was only a little kick, and how else was I supposed to get your attention, besides, those Pokemon aren’t the reason we’re here.” she said, gesturing to the Pikipek frantically flying above them “We’re here for those ones.” Kathryn moved her hand towards a patch of grass surrounded by trees.

“Are those… Pokemon?” Asked Noah. In the middle of the grass were two giant balls of pale orange fur with long bald tails. They were rolling around, tangled in battle. But there was something about them, the way they fought. Pokemon fought with each other sometimes but not with the ferocity that these two had.

“Yep. They’re Raticate. Not just any, though, these are Savages. Imagine what we could do with these if we tamed them?” She said this with a twinkle in her eye. Savages, if trained properly, possessed great strength and could be used to help out with various tasks. Kathryn loved to impress people, it was one of the few things that made her really happy. She knew that if she managed to train these Raticate and present them to the elders of their village, they’d be very impressed.

“Are you sure about this? They’re a big help, sure, but there’s a reason we’re told not to go near these things. You know that…” They both knew that reason. Savages had a dangerous way of fighting, not only did they have a lot of power, they did a lot of risky moves as well. They wouldn’t just fight with their own kind either, if they felt provoked just the slightest bit then they would go berserk. On both people and Pokemon.

“Yeah I know, ‘Don’t battle this, stay away from them that’ I’ve heard it all way too many times, but what’s life without a bit of excitement!” She exclaimed “Nothing, that’s what. There’s not much for us here, but the least we can do is make this life as easy and fun as possible.” She looked a little annoyed. “So, are we gonna do this or not?”

Noah knew what she was thinking. He also knew that this kind of thinking could seriously hurt her, but as her brother, he tried to cope with the things she did. Kathryn was the type to go on adventures, a kind of person that was rarely seen anymore. Noah knew that if she didn’t feel right aboveground, she’d go underground in search of the mythical Caverns. That place was dangerous, they weren’t even sure if it was real or not, so to protect her, he tried to keep her happy. Though, it was kind of hard to do so considering that she liked danger a little too much.

“Fine.” He said “But how are we going to get them? We didn’t bring any equipment.” He said as the two Raticate backed off from each other. One of them went off to do something, the other stayed and started sniffing the grass for some reason. “Look, they even stopped fighting and one of them left. The other will probably be gone soon and we don’t have time to get the things we need.”

“Oh really? Who said we needed equipment?” She cracked her knuckles.

Noah knew what she was talking about. He looked her directly in the eye and tried to talk her out of it. “Wait… So you’re gonna bring that back home? Oh no. You’re not going to do that. I’m okay with some things, but no, that’s too dangerous.”

“...Are you gonna actually try and stop me?” She started bouncing up and down on her feet, as if getting ready to move.

“Sigh, no.” Noah shifted around in place. Even though Kathryn was about to do something really dangerous, there were two things stopping him. One, she would have fun regardless of whether she caught it or not. Two, he was a bit of a coward, even for an Abovegrounder, so naturally he didn’t want anything to do with this.

“Good. Now if you don’t wanna get hurt, I suggest you stand back and watch.” Almost immediately after she said that, Kathryn lunged at the Raticate and grabbed onto its ears from behind. It jerked its head upwards, eyes wide open. After realizing it was being attacked, it started yowling and bucking up and down, trying to shake Kathryn off of itself.

“Woohoo! Now this is fun!” She was having a great time, the struggle to hold on until it calmed down was pretty exciting for her. The fight went well for roughly three minutes, after that, she started having doubts about whether engaging the Raticate was a good idea. The reason for this being that she was starting to lose grip. “Uh oh.” The Raticate seemed to notice she was slipping too, because it put even more effort into shaking her off. It ran around at an even faster pace, almost as if it wasn’t tired at all. At this point, Kathryn could barely hold on, yet she managed to keep somewhat of a hold on the Raticate. However she let go when it decided to make a mad dash towards a bush and turn left just as quickly. She was thrown into the bush while the Raticate ran away.

“I’m okay!” Shouted Kathryn as she threw her arms up. She held them there for a second and when she brought them down she started to laugh.

“What did I tell you?” Noah sighed as he walked towards where Kathryn was lying. He stuck out his hand and helped pull her up. When she stood up, he saw that she had a few bruises and scratches. “How can you be laughing? You just got thrown into a bush, you look clearly hurt and the Raticate got away.”

“Heh, well, I guess I’m laughing because it could’ve gone worse. That Savage was a strong one, and of all the things it could’ve done to me, it just left me with a couple bruises and threw me into what I thought was a pretty soft bush.” She stretched her arms and began to walk back to their village.

Noah just stood and watched her. He was amazed, or maybe confused, he couldn’t really tell. How could someone get into a fight, lose, and come out happy. “Sigh, I guess that’s just who she is.” He said to himself. Then he ran to catch up with his sister.

“What took you so long, slowpoke?” She put her hand on top of his head and ruffled his hair.

“Hey, have you seen a savage slowpoke, those things aren’t pushovers.” He said as he tried to get Kathryn to move her hand. Though this just made her put both hands on his head and push him downwards a bit. “Hey! Stop it.” He tried to run away from her. “You know, coming back home with a bunch of bruises isn’t gonna sit well with a lot of people.”

“I know that, I’ll probably get punished the moment we get home, so we might as well have some fun on the way there.” She said as she started to run after her brother.

The two chased each other on their way home, and soon, some broken down buildings came into view. That’s where they were headed.

I started writing a while ago and couldn't stop, coincidentally I was also listening to Non-Stop on loop. XD

Here's Chapter 2!
Debris started to appear as they approached a canyon that had previously been home to so many. Pieces of discarded metal were what came first, then full sheets of it, then tires and further ahead, a worn down satellite dish. Long ago, it had been used for transmitting signals, now its only purpose was to shield the rocks and ground beneath it from the grains of sand flying through the wind.

They walked down an old road, lined with broken down buildings and houses. People might’ve lived in them before, but it would be impossible to house anyone in their current state. Years of erosion had worn them down to nothing but shards of metal jutting out of the ground like daggers. Even if the objects inside them had survived until now, no one would dare search for them. Not even people like Kathryn. The objects shared what belonged in the past. Some may have once provided joy, but most were only windows into sad stories of times best left forgotten, remnants of when Shadows had overrun the land.

Kathryn and Noah passed through the old town, trying not to look at the wreckage. They approached a dome at the end of the road. There were dents and holes here and there. Pieces of wood and debris were nailed to it in a makeshift attempt to fix the damage and block out weather. It wasn’t the best, but the people of this village had to do what they could to keep their last home habitable.

It was another world inside the dome. Far more cheerful than anything the rest of the town had to offer. Lights were strung from wall to wall lighting up the interior. Numerous shacks and tents sat on the old stairs and ledges that might’ve once been where people had stood. Makeshift ladders had been made to allow houses to be built wherever they needed to be. A few had gardens on top of them. Wherever there was a garden, the roof above it had been replaced with, if possible, glass. If glass was not available, materials were tacked on to holes in a way that allowed light to pass through.

There were a few people walking around, but most were gathered around the center. For in the center dome was the most magnificent part of it all. Extending from the floor to the ceiling was a tower of metal. There were even more lights and the odd shack clinging on to its walls. Ledges and ramps circled their way around it so that one could climb there way to the top to look down at the people and houses below. People were climbing up to the top and working on it. Some were building contraptions and fixing them onto the walls, others were checking to see if any damage had been done to the tower. There were Pokemon helping out too. Some were pulling materials around to where they needed to be, others were helping to fix things. Normally, this wouldn’t be happening, but the tower was often used in celebrations and one was going to be taking place in a matter of days.

Kathryn and Noah nearly forgot about the trouble they were in, and they would have too, had they not ran into a tall man with short white hair. He was looking at the people working on the tower, he seemed to be supervising them. Even though he was concentrating on the people, the man still seemed to be in a pretty good mood, that is, until he saw Kathryn and her bruises.

“Haha! Hello you two! What are you up to tod-” The man took a moment to look at the bruises and scratches covering Kathryn. “Where... where did you get those bruises!? Were you fighting again!? You know you’re not supposed to do that!” He shouted. His voice showed that he was angry, but he didn’t need it to do that. His eyes were wide open with anger, they could terrify anyone standing directly in front of them. Noah backed away a bit and hid behind Kathryn. The eyes always managed to freak him out, even if they did belong to the man that he had known for pretty much his entire life. This man was one of the most respected elders of the village, and like with everyone else who lived under the dome, he knew them well. People usually called him Flame, partially because when he was angry, his eyes turned red like fire and then there were other various reasons for the nickname.

Kathryn clenched her fist, like her brother, she was usually startled by his expression, just a little less, though. Still, she needed to stand tall if she was going to get out of this. “Yes, I was fighting, yes, I know I’m not supposed to do that. But I came close to catching it! Just think of what it could help us do! There’s TONS of work to do around here at this time of year-”

“But we still get it done!” Flame replied.

“-everyone’s always tired at the end of it all-” Said Kathryn, trying to get her argument through.

Flame cut off Kathryn again “But everyone always has enough energy to celebrate!”

“-there’s the possibility that someone might get hurt” She had a feeling her efforts weren’t working, but she couldn’t show it to him.

“There’s always a possibility someone might get hurt! But we can’t prevent that, we can only lower the chances. You increased those chances by fighting!” He wasn’t sure about it, but it looked like Kathryn was trying not to give in. Just a little more.

“What’s the point in not trying?! Aside from the odd event here and there, we live the exact same lives day after day. Don’t you want more than that?!” She shouted. Noah sighed, Kathryn at this point was more focused on getting her point across rather than thinking before she spoke. Had she decided to think just a little bit, she would’ve known not to say the point that Flame would turn against her this time, and every other time that they argued before.

“No! If we strive for more, we risk hurting ourselves! Do you forget the tales of our past? What we are reminded of whenever we dare look at the wreckage of this place once more prosperous than now? The desires our ancestors had? The thirst for danger and adventure that caused wars that killed, drove people and Pokemon to the Underground and split our people more than what the Shadows could ever do? Fighting and risking danger will only tear us apart!” That was it, Flame had won. Kathryn could try to argue back but she could never manage to beat Flame when it came to talking about the safety of his people.

“I-um Sorry… I only wan-” Kathryn began to apologize, but there was something different about Flame’s argument. There was one thing he had overlooked when stating his case. They had touched on this subject many times before, but not once had Flame ever mentioned the Underground. For years they had been told that that place was a myth, told to keep quiet about it, to try not to think about it. To think that after all those years of concealment, Flame had just mentioned it. If it wasn’t true, he wouldn’t have used it as a fact. Even though he had the scariest angry expression around, he always used facts that he knew or thought were true. Now was her chance. “Did… did you just say that people and Pokemon went to the Underground?”

“Yes! Do you not want everyone to stay out of danger?!” Flame replied triumphantly, but then he realized that he had just mentioned the Underground. He tried to keep a straight face. Maybe there was a chance they weren’t thinking about the same thing? Sadly for him, Kathryn was thinking about the exact same thing.

Breaking free of the fear Flame’s eyes cast onto her, Kathryn looked him in the eye and exclaimed “You did! All my life I’ve been told that was a myth, I’ve been trying to find excitement here, but what’s the point when I can find it for sure down there?”

“NO! You will not leave to find that place! You might not even find it!” Yelled Flame.

“There’s always the chance I won’t find it, that it doesn’t exist, but you just mentioned it! There’s a chance, and that’s a chance I want to take!” Shouted Kathryn, her wish was getting closer.

“You will not! Leave this place! There have been stories of people who left, they never came back, do you really want to say goodbye to us?” Flame’s voice sounded concerned, but that was hard to tell considering he was still. Noah looked up when he heard this. “They never come back?” He thought. He looked at his sister, he didn’t want her to leave, what would he do by himself?

“No, I don’t want to say goodbye… but that’s what I need to do to leave! I’ll do it if I have to!” Though she sounded confident, she knew she was scared about that part. Kathryn didn’t want to leave anyone, but there were very few people who were adventurous these days, she’d most likely have to go on her own.

“I told you… YOU WILL NOT LEAVE THIS PLACE! IT IS DANGEROUS! I’LL KEEP YOU HERE MYSELF IT IT’LL KEEP MY PEOPLE SAFE!” Splitting up was never good, Flame knew this but Kathryn was putting up a fight, he wouldn’t be able to convince her.

“You always assume splitting up hurts us, but I’m leaving. When I’m gone, I assure you it’ll only help us move ahea-”

“Stop! Sigh, I’ve had enough, Kathryn go to your room. You’re not going to change my opinion.” Said Flame as he turned away, the fire in his eyes dying down.

“But” Kathryn began.

“GO!” He said with one last frightening stare.

Kathryn stared at him “Fine, but I’ll leave one day… And you won’t be able to do anything about it.” She turned around and stormed away into one of the huts. Flame walked away and resumed supervision over a group of people working leaving Noah standing still and confused. He looked around, no one was paying him any mind.

“If you leave... what about me?”

Last edited:
*blows dust off of thread*
Yeesh, it's been nearly 3000 years months since I last updated this. :eek:
Sun rise, sun set. Kathryn wasn't really allowed to leave for a couple of days. Occasionally someone would walk by and she would have a chat with them. Though news had spread of her ambitions quickly and most people preferred not to talk to her. Pretty much the only person who would willingly come chat was Noah.

“How are you doing?” He said through her door.

“I’m fine… Just a little bored.” Replied Kathryn. A little? Noah knew she was hiding her actual feelings. She hated being bored more than anything.

“Hey, when you were talking about leaving, were you serious?” He asked.

“Yeah, you thought I was lying? Just look around, people only talk to me by accident, or by force. It looks bad now, but it’s really not that different than before. Noah, I’m leaving in secret on the day of the festival. No one will notice me, and even if they do, I’m sure they’ll be happy about it.” She said.

“Why are you telling me this if you’re leaving in secret?” He thought it was a little contradictory.

“You’re my brother... And even if you're a coward, I know you’ll want to come with me.”

“Hey! What makes you think tha-” Noah heard footsteps, who knows what would happen to him if he got caught talking to her. “Shoot! Sorry sis I gotta run.” He was about to make a mad dash to anywhere but here, when he suddenly turned round a corner and hid behind one of the buildings. “Wait, who would be coming over here” he thought “Kathryn’s really the only reason anyone would come here with the festival going on. Maybe it would just be best to watch what happens.” As the footsteps got closer, he heard someone knock on a door. Peeking at the door, he noticed it was Flame. Noah watched as the door was opened and Kathryn walked out. Curiosity got the best of him at that moment, normally he would run away, but this time he decided to follow them.

He watched as they walked through the busy dome, it was hard to keep track of them. Luckily he managed to catch them going into Flame’s quarters. It wasn’t everyday he allowed someone into there, and Kathryn of all people? Something was up. However he wouldn’t dare go into Flame’s quarters without permission, so he decided to wait outside.

Kathryn didn’t have a good feeling about this. Like her brother she also knew how rare it was that someone got to where she was, and with her recent act, she was for sure she was in trouble. Inside were three rooms. The one she was in, which housed a lot of bookshelves, with documents scattered all over the place. There was what looked to be a mini kitchen on the left with a bunch of dirty dishes, and then on the right was his office, which was even more cluttered. She wondered how he slept, or even managed to live in here, but figured his bed was probably underneath this mess.

“I’ll just be a moment, you can grab a chair in my office and sit down.” Said Flame as he walked into the kitchen. Kathryn carefully walked into the office, trying not to step on as many articles as she could.

“What do you mean find a chair?!” I can hardly see anything other than books in here!” She thought. In terms of clutter it was worse than she thought. Books were stacked in piles of at least fifteen or sixteen, and there were piles of scrolls that looked as if they were just thrown on the ground. She dreaded the thought of digging around, but sadly if Flame said there was a chair, there was most likely a chair. While in the process of searching for the elusive chair, Kathryn accidentally knocked over one of the piles. Worried he would notice, even though he probably wouldn’t, she scrambled to put the books back. While cleaning, however, she noticed an open book that had been in the stack she knocked over. Obviously curious, she picked up the book. She examined the cover, it wasn’t like the other books. There was a white and black pattern on the front and it was extremely worn and old. It was a miracle this thing had survived as long as it had. The name Miles Lis was on the front page. Kathryn flipped through a few of the pages, there were strange drawings everywhere, but they didn’t look like anything familiar to her. It looked interesting enough, so she flipped to the first page.

“Intro” it read in big letters “Year 2037: My friend, this war is painful, the killing is endless. I have been trying to convince my comrades to retreat, I believe it will work eventually. Sadly, I will have to retreat as well, it is dangerous but the Underground is my home.” Kathryn’s eyes got wide. “The shadows interest me, I want to study them even if the practice is looked down upon. I can’t just ignore this calling. Despite the war I know we are good friends, so I give you my journal if you ever wish to find me.” As Kathryn got to the end of the page, practically shaking, she heard a clanging sound in the kitchen.

“Gah! These dishes are such a pain. Kathryn I’ll be there in a moment!” Shouted an annoyed Flame. Kathryn stacked the book and tried to act natural. She got herself together just in time for when Flame entered the room carrying a teapot and a couple of cups. He skillfully navigated through the office and set the objects on a desk that Kathryn hadn’t even noticed. “I told you to grab a seat.” He said calmly.

“Sorry Chief, I couldn’t find it.” Kathryn said feeling a bit embarrassed.

“What!? It’s right there.” Flame got up and moved some books aside to reveal a chair. “Have a seat. Tea?” Astounded, she shook her head and then sat down on the chair.

She said with a trace of confidence in her voice. “So, why did you bring me here?”

“Kathryn you’re a talented girl, but we can’t keep having these incidents. I’ve been thinking about your last one.” Flame said with a serious tone “And I think it’s a crime to keep a child locked up for so long. Now before you get any ideas, you are still not free to leave. Departure has its effects on our village, and I would rather not have them. I just think that you should have a good amount of freedom, so you’re allowed to go where you wish so long as you stay within the premises and don’t spread any more ideas of leaving for a fantasy land. Understand?” Normally Kathryn would speak out about such a demand, however when she thought about the strange book in the stack nearby, she figured it would be best to put up with him.

“Yes sir, I won’t cause any more trouble.” She said hoping he would buy it. Flame looked her in the eye, though this time he wasn’t angry. After a pause that was longer than it should’ve been, he stood up and laughed.

“Thank you for understanding my dear! I know it’s not the best but just think, we have a celebration coming up within a couple days! It’s a time to be happy, so let’s get ready to have a good time.” He walked out of the crowded office with ease. Noah, who was waiting outside, was surprised to see Flame in such a good mood.

“I guess she’ll be out soon then.” Shortly after he said that, Kathryn fell through the doorway and onto the ground. “Um, why are on the ground?” He asked.

“Gods, the chief needs to burn that mess. I'm surprised he bought that excuse” She grumbled as she dusted off her pants. Kathryn hadn’t even noticed Noah standing next to her. “AH! Hey what are you doing here?”

“I was waiting for you. I saw you walk into Flame’s quarters and I got worried. Are you okay?”

Kathryn smiled. “Noah, I’m feeling great. After all, I found my lead.”

Last edited:
I always say it's not an issue for how many months it takes for a writer to update their work, as long as they never give up.
This has been great to read so far, I'm glad you asked me to give some feedback on it.

In terms of Chapter Three, the most I really found were some slight punctuation missing.
The entire journal section looks kind of strange to me just since quotation marks are (as far as I know of) only used for speaking, I'd most likely switch things like that (as well as thoughts, when Kathryn is trying to find a seat) into italics.

That's about it, I'm excited to read more!

I always say it's not an issue for how many months it takes for a writer to update their work, as long as they never give up.
This has been great to read so far, I'm glad you asked me to give some feedback on it.

In terms of Chapter Three, the most I really found were some slight punctuation missing.
The entire journal section looks kind of strange to me just since quotation marks are (as far as I know of) only used for speaking, I'd most likely switch things like that (as well as thoughts, when Kathryn is trying to find a seat) into italics.

That's about it, I'm excited to read more!
Glad to hear you like it violet! ^^

I like the idea of switching the thoughts and journal entries into italics. Saying "she thought" all the time can get a little old. So despite having to add BB code when writing it up, I think I'll do that for later.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Back