Interesting Movesets and Ideas

bacon

!!!!!
Pretty much what it says in the title! If you have been having success with an unusual Pokemon or moveset, post it here. I'm hoping we can also talk about which forgotten Pokemon can occupy niches within the OU metagame, and perhaps speculate on which hidden gems may rise to OU fame once people realize their effectiveness.

I like to keep things flexible so the only ground rule here is not to post anything blatantly ridiculous like Choice Band Jolteon or a Delibird/Unown core.

Inigo Montoya

Hatman/Imakuni?/Not Not-TDL
466.gif

Electivire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch

Most amazing anti-lead set. Ever. The thing has swept many a team alone, mostly in UU but a few in OU as well. Unpredictability and suprise are your main weapons here. Sub up when needed, and Focus Punch away. You get the coverage of BoltBeam in the elemental punches as well. The set is very straightforward, nothing too fancy, just suprising.

With its stats resting at a healthy 379 Attack with Adamant, the thing packs a punch. His speed is a mediocre 289, but its fast enough to outspeed most of the common leads. Ability is purely preference, but Vital Spirit is preferred as you get a sleep absorber, which is somewhat hard to come by. If you _really_ need a lighning resist, then go ahead and Motor Drive.

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
DJLandlos in da house booiiizzz

landorus_by_yilx-d3bg25o.jpg

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Smack Down
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

A great lure for most of Landorus's counters and checks. The concept is simple, really; smack down any Bronzong, Skarmory, or Rotom-W to the ground so you can hit them with a SE STAB Earthquake, while Gliscor is 2hko'd by a swift HP Ice. Substitute helps block you from damage and helps you Smack Down while they attempt to break the Sub. It's best to pair this Landorus with something that loves the sight of the Pokemon I listed removed from play, which pretty much means any physical sweeper pairs well with Smack Down Landorus. Lucario, Scrafty, Terrakion, Conkledurr, you name it.

Use Substitute first, btw. You don't want to be put in that awkward moment where you find out Rotom-W is actually scarfed, and it adds an extra level of defense against priority. Leftovers is the item of choice since Life Orb, Substitute, and SR will eat away at your health fast.

Guts

CyberPhunk
Good to see one of my favorite threads making a comeback.

custom-gengar-art.png

MYSTICgar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EV's: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast

This is one of Gengar's older sets, and it still does what it did last gen: allows Gengar to safely switch out or even KO two of it's biggest threats. If T-tar or Scizor switch in on Gengar, you first protect to see if either use Pursuit on Gengar. If they do, Gengar can outspeed and hopefully KO with either super-effective attack. If Scizor tries to bullet punch, then you can protect first, and then switch Gengar out safely. This used to be an amazing and creative set, but it faces problems this gen. Firstly, Ttar has incredible SpD, and Gengar can't often OHKO with Focus Blast, if it hits. Also, with the dominance of rain, Hidden Power Fire's effectiveness is severely reduced against Scizor. But still, under the right circumstances, this makes for a retro and fun to use moveset.

Chillarmy

El problemo?
@Hatman: I'm a little shaky on Electivire's speed, so Motor Drive should also be highly considered (?) due to the commonness of Rotom-W and other Electyric sweepers such as Jolteon and Zapdos on Rain teams. However, the ability to switch in on Breloom's Spore, outspeed and OHKO with Ice Punch is pretty dang awesome

@TDL: Now that is a cool concept. It has virtually nothing can stop it except Aqua Jet Azumarril and Scarfed pokemon.

@ShadowLugia: I really like this set too. It's like trapping the trapper :D

bacon

!!!!!
Hatman said:
466.gif

Electivire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch

Most amazing anti-lead set. Ever. The thing has swept many a team alone, mostly in UU but a few in OU as well. Unpredictability and suprise are your main weapons here. Sub up when needed, and Focus Punch away. You get the coverage of BoltBeam in the elemental punches as well. The set is very straightforward, nothing too fancy, just suprising.

With its stats resting at a healthy 379 Attack with Adamant, the thing packs a punch. His speed is a mediocre 289, but its fast enough to outspeed most of the common leads. Ability is purely preference, but Vital Spirit is preferred as you get a sleep absorber, which is somewhat hard to come by. If you _really_ need a lighning resist, then go ahead and Motor Drive.

That's a bit of an odd set, if I'll be honest. Electivire isn't really appreciating Vital Spirit much because most of the time it's not going to want to switch in on the likes of Breloom, and your set has a Substitute regardless to block the sleep status. Motor Drive is Electivire's main selling point really. I'm also not entirely sure what Substitute+ Focus Punch accomplishes over Cross Chop.

Anyway, here is my input, the version of Xatu that I've found to be the most effective...

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, enough speed to outrun Adamant Dragonite and the rest in defence

- Night Shade/Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Roost

Switch in on popular hazard setters (Ferrothorn, Skarm, Forretress, etc) with ease and proceed to spam paralysis status. Simple as that. Night Shade allows you to beat some of the more defensive hazard setters one on one, but having a STAB attack in Psychic is generally pretty useful. Thunder Wave ensures that Xatu can do something other than sit around and greatly screws with Rotom-W thinking it has a free switch. Reflect allows you to tank hits from Ferrothorn and Donphan very easily as well as provide good team support. Roost for obvious reasons.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Infernape (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Encore
- U-Turn / Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

My "scouter", that I've made that can also be changed to a lead (Stealth instead of Protect, and Flare Blitz instead of U-Turn). This thing lols off Skarmory attempting to wall, and can even cause some trouble with predicted Prankster sets coming in, also able to resist WoW Sableye. I mainly run Flare Blitz on this set, but U-Turn is sometimes fun to use. Ferrothorn makes a great partner, being able to shrug off common Washtom's attacks, as well as resisting several other of Infernape's weaknesses.

Is waiting for someone to post JoeyPalls!! Zap Cannon Forretress set

Blah

DBT
Accelegor @ Focus Sash

Ability: Sticky Hold
Nature: Timid
Ev’s: 252 Hp/ 4 Special Defense/ 252 Speed
Moveset:

-Encore
-Agility
-Baton Pass
-Final Gambit

Overview: Well, the name is pretty obvious…Anyway, when I started making a team, I decided I wanted a Haxorus. Well, I realized Haxorus was a bit slow, and I found that it always got killed when setting up. More on that later, the point is I needed a Baton Passer, and I found that Accelegor did the job perfectly.

Strategy: After trying it in a couple different places, I found it worked best as a lead. Since Accelegor is so fast, I can almost always get off an agility first thing in the battle before anyone can do anything about it. I also can’t get screwed over by trick because of sticky hold. The crux of the set is encore. Since a majority of leads in the metagame set up entry hazards, I can immediately kill their plan with encore. Although sometimes they just attack while I set up agility and then I baton pass it Haxorus, it works much better when they try to set up. I encore whatever they do, then baton pass as they switch. Final Gambit is a good for revenge killing things that have a lot of defense boosts.

Pretty much copied and pasted from my RMT.

Slowpr0

✪ Slowbro is So Pro ✪
images

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
252 HP, 252 Sp. Att, 4 Sp. Def
Regenerator (Assuming it's released)
Surf
Ice Beam/Focus Blast
Flamethrower
Psychic
This is obviously used in a Trick Room Team; you set up Trick Room, switch to Slowpro, and sweep. :D

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Latias@Leftovers
Timid nature, 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 SpAtk
- Reflect Type
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Calm Mind / Refresh

The idea here is to troll your opponent. Reflect Type is a very obscure move, and it's the selling point of this set. It changes your type into the type of the target. After that, Dragon Pulse until they are dead, healing when necessary. Most of Latias's counters are turned into setup fodder with this set. Ferrothorn in your face? Leech Seed doesn't work and now you resist both his STABs. Incoming Scizor? Eat the Bullet Punch and morph for some more resistance. CBTar about to Stolen your face with Pursuit? Now you're Rock/Dark and Pursuit now does nothing.

Dragon Pulse is obligatory in the second spot. Since you have basically uninvested Special Attack and more often than not you aren't going to be Dragon-type, it isn't going to be sweeping any time soon... but that's not really the point (unless it's late game).

Recover is a staple in the third slot because this set needs recovery.

The last move is the only one that is up for debate. Reflect Type aids in your physical Defense by way of halving a lot of hits sent her way (Dark in particular). Calm Mind does double duty by boosting Dragon Pulse's pitiful damage and sending Latias's already awesome Special Defense straight through the roof. On the same token, you've probably already noticed that status completely ruins this plan, since a ton of crap has Toxic and burninate-move and a lot of those Pokemon are not Poison or Fire (thanks Scald, jerk). Because of this, Refresh is slashed to help you live longer.

The EVs are straightforward (probably not optimized but oh well). HP and Speed are maxed because you need the health and Speed to take care of threats.

You can basically throw Reflect Type around with impunity because not a lot of Pokemon carry moves that can hit themselves super effectively, Tyranitar is worth noting because he commonly carries Superpower. Choiced version will always Dark move you first, but when they come back in on you you can be sure they'll predict the Reflect Type (especially if you've been spamming it) and Superpower you. Of course, you can use that to your advantage, too. :)

I tried the Calm Mind version and it was great for me. Get rid of anyone who can inflict status ailments (and, if facing Tyranitar, be sure to scout for Superpower) and you'll find yourself enjoying this flavor of Latias.

Happy trolling :)

bacon

!!!!!
I wasn't sure what to think about that Latias when I first heard of it, but you definitely sold it to me PMJ. Might try and build a team around it at some point haha.

Reflect Type seems like it would cause a lot of switches, so doubtless it would fit well on a more stall orientated team, with something like Chansey/Blissey providing aromatherapy support.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
That Latias set looks very interesting, PMJ. Would Protect work in the last slot to scout for stuff like Superpower on Tyranitar, or status moves like Toxic? Just an idea. Of course, without Calm Mind the Latias wouldn't do as much damage, but it could still work as a scout/switch inducer.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Protect isn't needed. Refresh has more PP than Toxic, and just as much as Thunder Wave, so you will beat them out in both instances (you should have 1 more Refresh than Thunder Wave since you won't use it before you get paralyzed). As far as Superpower goes, you should just switch to a natural resistance and take advantage of the stat drops rather than play Russian roulette.

Pride

May I kill him?
I've never used that Latias before but it seems like something that would love to be able to use Roar and take advantage of some entry hazards being laid down. I agree with Bacon that having Heal Bell/Aroma on Blissey/Chansey seems like a better fit then using Refresh.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Roar defeats the purpose of the set. It does enjoy having hazards laid, but you don't have to force them out. Reflect Type will do that for you. It's very frustrating to fight if you can't find a way to get around it.

I'll concede having a cleric over Refresh, but Refresh does allow you to be more self-sufficient and stay in play longer.

Slowpr0

✪ Slowbro is So Pro ✪
120px-538Throh.png

Throh @ Leftovers
Guts
Careful Nature (-Sp. Att, +Sp. Def)
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def
Bulk Up
Circle Throw
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Payback
I gave Throh 252 HP and 252 Sp. Def to maximize defense from Special attacks, because his Defense and Attack will be boosted by Bulk Up. For those Psychic or Ghost types, Throh should be able to live a hit and defeat most Psychics or Ghosts easily. If they try to burn your Throh (I'm looking at you, Jellicent... >_> ) , it'll still be okay because of Guts, even though still losing 1/16 of your health every turn. This set is widely helped by entry hazard support, because, if you didn't know, Circle Throw is the same thing as Dragon Tail, but fighting type.

bacon

!!!!!
A strange sort of lure an opponent of mine used against me,

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Satk, 252 Speed, 4 hp

-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power: Fire

I found this interesting because it's the unusually high speed investment that allows Reuniclus to function as a lure. You reach just above 170 speed, which doesn't seem worthwhile but you will now be faster than most Scizor and Tyranitar and will be able to OHKO them without taking a hit. Specially defensive Jirachi takes heavy damage from HP Fire, especially with Drought support which is where I saw this set used (and the ability to lure and kill TTar is great for Drought teams). It's a great partner for stuff like Latios who appreciates these counters being removed.

Blah

DBT
Alright, I have the strangest set of all time that someone used against me.

Probopass Lvl 1 (Yes, you read that right. Level 1) @ Whatever item you feel like having
Ability: Sturdy
Nature and Ev's don't matter at all. You can mix and match them anyway you like. Really. They don't matter

-Pain Split

None of the other moves matter all all either.

Combine this guy with a rapid spinner and something with Cloud Nine and you can troll the life out of you're opponents. Just spam pain split and you literally can't die. Anything with a life orb or a damaging status effect goes down with out having a chance.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
@bacon: It sounds neat, but I'm not sure it's worth losing recovery and all that bulk that makes Reuniclus such a dick (lol pokebeach censors) just to do something Magnezone can do (in regards to Scizor anyway).

I sure would go WAAAAAAT if my Scizor got outsped by a rank and murdered by hp fire though, it's got surprise factor, I'll give it that.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
Blah237 said:
Alright, I have the strangest set of all time that someone used against me.

Probopass Lvl 1 (Yes, you read that right. Level 1) @ Focus Sash
Nature and Ev's don't matter at all. You can mix and match them anyway you like. Really. They don't matter

-Pain Split

None of the other moves matter all all either.

Combine this guy with a rapid spinner and something with Cloud Nine and you can troll the life out of you're opponents. Just spam pain split and you literally can't die. Anything with a life orb or a damaging status effect goes down with out having a chance.

Unfortunately, that doesn't hold its weight against a good opponent more often than not. Lacking any semblence of defenses means it can't switch in on anything, so its like building a team with 5 Pokemon. Also, anything with a status move or leech seed can kill that set. Multihit moves like Bullet Seed go through Focus Sash and obliterate it, so more often than not using this means you will go into battle with 5 Pokemon, putting you at a huge disadvantage. Just not worth it imo.