Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The next set of Gym promos have been revealed! They will be available starting in January. As usual, players who attend Gym tournaments in Japan will receive a 1-card promo pack containing one of these cards. Thanks goes to JustInBasil for the translations!
Only Infernape V, Weavile, and Riley are new. The rest are alternate art reprints from Star Birth, which we just finished translating.
Infernape V – Fire – HP200
Basic Pokemon
[C] Meteor Punch: 30x damage. Flip a coin until you get tails. This attack does 30 damage for each heads.
[R][R][C] Bright Flame: 200 damage. Discard 2 Energy from this Pokemon.
When your Pokemon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 0...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Weird to credit the artist of the background artwork for Riley, instead of Sugimori for the artwork of Riley proper. Another card did this before though, right?

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Riley - such a bad card. Because your opponent might dump that card that will win you the game, and you'll be screwed, otherwise... Your opponent knows your strat, especially in an online match where open decklist is a thing. Meaning, your opponent can predict your next moves. Kinda like chess. 3

Infernape V - ehh. Too short to KO majority of Pokemon V, although enough to KO support Vs. 3-4

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
So Riley is essentially Hop but allowing your opponent to being able to disrupt you, sounds good...

I wish a card like that but agaisnt your opponent, like your opponent draw 3, you look at his entire hand and discard 2 (?)

Last edited:

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Riley is hilariously bad. Hysterically awful. He lets you draw 3 cards, which already isn't great, except:

1) Your opponent also mills you for two cards.

2) Your opponent chooses what two cards out of five they want to mill.

3) Your opponent also sees what three cards you draw.

??? ? ? ? ??? ? ? ???

Last edited:

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Weird to credit the artist of the background artwork for Riley, instead of Sugimori for the artwork of Riley proper. Another card did this before though, right?
You were correct to point that out! Creatures just revealed the card and announced they made a mistake. The news story has been updated.

FlameBoy4792

Aspiring Trainer
Can’t wait for them to announce a Torterra V (if they do). It’d be the third special Torterra card made

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
@Water Pokemon Master

Have you ever thought of creating a simple database for all the revealed cards?

I ask because this is the #1 site for card news and you have hi-res photos but not all cards eventually make it over. Bulbapedia hasn't updated JP promos for 6 months, and technically Galarian Mr Rime etc. from the last gym promos were from Taiwan too?

Just seems like a lot of valuable information but no way to really search for any of it. Especially since the hack destroyed all the old photos as well.

edit: I guess these are from Japan. But sites like Pokellector, Bulbapedia and TCGCollector also don't have the previous promos.

Heiji

Part time collector
@Water Pokemon Master

I ask because this is the #1 site for card news and you have hi-res photos but not all cards eventually make it over. Bulbapedia hasn't updated JP promos for 6 months, and technically Galarian Mr Rime etc. from the last gym promos were from Taiwan too?

Just seems like a lot of valuable information but no way to really search for any of it. Especially since the hack destroyed all the old photos as well.

edit: I guess these are from Japan. But sites like Pokellector, Bulbapedia and TCGCollector also don't have the previous promos.
The cards from Gym Promo Pack 8 (the one with Mr Rime V) are nearly impossible to find on eBay.
I wonder if there are some distribution issues going on in Japan...

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I wish a card like that but agaisnt your opponent, like your opponent draw 3, you look at his entire hand and discard 2 (?)

That would be incredibly broken, my dude. Mars only draws 2 and discards 1, and yet is already a key tool in stall loop decks. We don't want to accelerate that setup to be twice as fast.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
@Water Pokemon Master

I hope WPM doesn't mind me plugging these sites, but pkmncards.com would be your one stop for released English cards from all major sets and a majority of unique promos (so long as they have a unique number).

For some Cloudflare-associated reason, pokumon.com isn't currently loading as of this post, but it's essentially a promo-focused version of what pkmncards is, including variants as mild as different types of holofoil, but is solely focused on promos. They do also often have writeups on the backstory of various promos and I think the goal is to ultimately have a writeup for every card on the database. n.b. pokumon does not include non-promo cards, so you do have to fall back on pkmncards for a complete database of EN cards, and waffle about with other sites for a database of JP cards.

Pokébeach's niche in all this is breaking news on newly revealed cards.

LightYearLiam

Dang, Riley is a much worse version of the DP Supporter Rival, which already wasn't a good card to begin with.

I really like the Infernape V art, other than its facial expression which is a bit weird, but it doesn't look to be a good card, nor is it interesting...which I guess is par for the course for these promos and understandable, but still a bit disappointing...

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Man, I really want the second set in this sinnoh era to have all 3 starters as Vstars as well as Garchomp, Cressellia, the lake trio and more...but if he's getting a B- tier V now..😕