Incomplete Gardevoir/Mewtwo EX Deck Help

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
Yesterday I was talking with a friend about old decks that could work in the actual expanded format with a bit of changes and then the old Gardevoir/Mewtwo EX deck came to mind. How would you try to adapt it to the actual metagame? I have had some ideas about which pokémon to use, but the main problem is the item/supporter list. I have thought to play (when BREAKpoint gets released):

Pokémon: 17-18
3-2-3 Gardevoir Next Destinies
4 Mewtwo EX ( 2x Next Destinies + 2x BREAKtrhough 62)
2 Cresselia BREAKtrhough
1 Sigilyph Dragons Exalted
¿1 Espeon EX BREAKpoint?

Why using both mewtwos?
On one hand, if I need a high amount of damage (for example agains things like M Sceptile EX who heals mates), the new one can OHKO it with 3 energies using Gardevoir's ability. But this make Mewtwo a cheap prize hit for thing like other Mewtwo, Yveltal or Lugia.
On the other hand, if I'm playing agains decks that don't play M Sceptile/Max Potion/things that completely heals, I can simply go for Psydrive (Next Destinies one), which using Dimension Valey and Gardevoir's ability only needs one [P] energy; and after the attack, the energy gets discarded, so other Mewtwo, Yveltal or Lugia can't do too much damage.

Cresselia or Deoxys?
This is one of the things I've been doubting more. Cresselia gives me free retreat and a solid 70 damage + healing 20 damage for only a [P] energy (if we have Gardevoir + Dimension Valey). Although Deoxys let me draw cards for free (with dimensional valey), it doesn't inflict a solid base damage (only 30) and it doesn't really use Gardevoir's ability. What do you think?

Only 1 Sigilyph?
Well, safeguarders are no longer as good pokémon as they used to be. With Hex Maniac being a 1-of in most decks and Vs Seeker, it loses a lot of use. But it has a decent attack that can be used with a single [P] energy (once again requiring Gardevoir + Dimension Valey) and can be a big problem for those who doesn't play Hex Maniac.

Espeon EX?
I've been thinking about making room for 2 Startling Megaphones in the deck, so against Mega Pokémon decks it could be very usefull in mid-late game, giving me more time and making easier to K.O the stepping stone EX. Also, it uses Gardevoir's ability + Dimension Valey to attack again only with a [P] energy.

Which items should I use?
I decided the logical ones (rare candy, evosoda, fighting spirit belt, startling megaphone and dowsing machine as my Ace Spec), but which ones should I include? And what about supporters? Maybe should I add 2x Wally?

I hope you could help me to improve this deck and make it competitive again :D

Moved to TCG Player Help / Advice, as the Deck Garage is only for complete deck lists.

To begin with, I personally don't like the idea of Cressila. If you really want a pivotal Pokemon, I'd add Keldeo-EX + Float Stone, I don't think the damage output is really significant enough. With Deoxys, sure card drawing is nice, but you should really devote space to items that are more efficient. It's attack honestly isn't amazing. For a powerful up-front attacker, I think you need to look at a single energy attacker w/Dimension Valley but w/o Gardevoir. You'll normally want to use non-EX Pokemon against non-EX Pokemon, which are typically fast and will likely prevent too many Gardevoir getting set up. Unfortunately... there aren't really any of those. You may like to stick with Cressila, or go with a different battle plan (Natu AT?).

You're planning on using the Megaphones to prevent Stage evolution, correct? The issue is that there is a pretty direct counter to that - only play Spirit Link on the turn you will actually evolve. Of course, continuously devolving w/Espeon-EX could be an issue... but wouldn't it be better to simply devote resources to kill off the Megas anyways? I think that a new strategy of focusing on firepower (and possibly Faded Town instead of Dimension Valley) would be better.

I'm not sure if you're on the right track for Trainers. For draw, I would use: Professor Juniper, N, VS Seeker, Trainers Mail (maybe). I'd also add Lysandre and Bridgette as your basic "other" supporters. I'd then add 4 Ultra Ball and 3 Level Ball as your general Pokemon search (Evosoda is slow - I don't think you should use it). I'd then add a couple of Rare Candy and perhaps a Wally to assist further. Fighting Spirit Belt doesn't really feel like a good addition, as ideally you want to be do as much damage as possible... so maybe Muscle Band is better. However, if you're concerned about non-EXs 1-hit KOing, you may like to try the Spirit Belt. My opinion on Startling Megaphone is above. I wouldn't run Dowsing Machine personally - instead opt for Computer Search which is my consistent. I'd also add Super Rods and/or Buddy-Buddy Rescue for extra consistency. You'll also need to run Shaymin-EX.

Another thing I thought of; do you think you would want to try Gallade BRT? It seems like a very possible option for consistency, although you may only get it out slow, so...

Thanks for the comment :)

I see what you say about megas. The main idea for using startling megaphone is to discard opponent's FSB, and then I realized that I could use it combined with Espeon. But as you say, it's not so effective (at least if played without F Tools). Faded Town could be fine, I can include a 1-of, but I prefer Dimension Valey (before playtesting). But I'll try it!

Natu could be great against NM, but it's only useful against Joltik I think, so I'm not sure about including it. Maybe -1 Espeon EX + 1 Natu AT?
And Shaymin-EX isn't an option; it's true that it gives you a lot of consistency, but I don't like to have such an easy 2 prizes Lysandre bait on my field.

Between Downsing Machine and Computer Search I'll decide during playtesting again. I feel more comfortable using Dowsing Machine, but it's true that Computer Search gives you a bit of more speed.

Finally, I could try to include the Gallade since it doesn't need Maxie in this deck, so why no? ahahaha.

Thanks for all :)

I see what you say about megas. The main idea for using startling megaphone is to discard opponent's FSB, and then I realized that I could use it combined with Espeon. But as you say, it's not so effective (at least if played without F Tools). Faded Town could be fine, I can include a 1-of, but I prefer Dimension Valey (before playtesting). But I'll try it!
The reason I would choose Faded Town over Dimension Valley is that if you decide to scrap Cressilia/Deoxys, you don't really have anything that benefits all too much from the Valley. Your main attackers need as much energy as possible anyways, so that's really just Sigilyph (and maybe Natu) which are both situational.

Natu could be great against NM, but it's only useful against Joltik I think, so I'm not sure about including it. Maybe -1 Espeon EX + 1 Natu AT?
Certainly worth playtesting. :)

And Shaymin-EX isn't an option; it's true that it gives you a lot of consistency, but I don't like to have such an easy 2 prizes Lysandre bait on my field.
To be honest, you are going to prefer it if your opponent chooses to Lysandre out the Shaymin-EX over Knocking Out a Mewtwo-EX or perhaps even a Gardevoir about 90% of the time. This is because Mewtwo is your power engine - ideally you want the powerhouse full of energy to be kept alive, so losing two prizes to Shaymin isn't really a problem, and you'll find your deck will be more likely to set up and win through playtesting with the support Pokemon.

Between Downsing Machine and Computer Search I'll decide during playtesting again. I feel more comfortable using Dowsing Machine, but it's true that Computer Search gives you a bit of more speed.
Computer Search generally will also give you more versatility, and is usable throughout the entire game, while Dowsing Machine is a bit of a waste early on. It's particularly more helpful in Stage decks so you can retrieve a vital piece such as Rare Candy or an Evolution, which early on is unlikely with Dowsing. But, your choice, of course. :p

Finally, I could try to include the Gallade since it doesn't need Maxie in this deck, so why no? ahahaha.
Sure :p

Anyways, if you make a completed decklist that you feel like sharing, feel free to post it in a new thread in the Deck Garage - where you originally posted this thread - if you'd like further, more specific advice. :)

Back