Incomplete Dragon Deck w/ Dragonite Help (Standard)

JimtendoPower

Lysandre's Trump Bidoof
Dragonite XY Roaring Skies.png I'm trying to make a Dragon Type deck. But, I might need a little help. I want to base it around the Dragonite from XY Roaring Skies. The card has a Delta Plus Ancient Trait (Take 2 Prize cards with all Pokemon defeated with the Dragonite) So can anyone suggest any good competitive Dragon type Pokemon Cards?
Maybe some good Trainer cards? I just need help with this deck overall! Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated! :)

Try Milotic FLF. By KOing it, you can accelerate energy much faster. You could also try Virizion-EX in addition to accelerate grass energy and Smeargle BRT to swap energy around consistently. For trainers for a Stage 2 deck, you may want to check out this thread, which lists many ideas/deck skeletons for a Stage 2 deck that you could use to base your deck on.

Try Milotic FLF. By KOing it, you can accelerate energy much faster. You could also try Virizion-EX in addition to accelerate grass energy and Smeargle BRT to swap energy around consistently. For trainers for a Stage 2 deck, you may want to check out this thread, which lists many ideas/deck skeletons for a Stage 2 deck that you could use to base your deck on.
I might try to take advantage of Milotic's Ability, but I see it recovers 3 Discarded Energy, so you probably have to be in-battle for sometime. Virizion EX's Ability and Move really supports Grass type Pokemon, so I have to consider using Grass as a Secondary type for the deck. Smeargle is Colorless so I don't have to add more different types of energy. Since Smeargle isn't that strong, I can see using it's Ability to bring back an Energy from the discard pile that you need now, or using an Trainer card to transfer the Energy to the Pokemon. I don't know if there is a card that transfers Energy from an Active Pokemon to your hand, so you can save it for the stronger Pokemon in your deck. Thanks for the help! I'll also be sure to check out the thread later!

There's a nifty card called Battle Compressor that lets you discard cards from your deck if you want to focus on Milotic. Ultra Ball and Professor Sycamore (other cards you will always have in your deck) will also get cards in the discard.

Smeargle would be used to, for an example, swap an Electric energy for a Grass energy attached to your Dragonite, if you have not enough Grass attached. However, considering you need 5 energy, you may not really need it, as the likelihood of getting enough energy should be pretty high.

There's a nifty card called Battle Compressor that lets you discard cards from your deck if you want to focus on Milotic. Ultra Ball and Professor Sycamore (other cards you will always have in your deck) will also get cards in the discard.

Smeargle would be used to, for an example, swap an Electric energy for a Grass energy attached to your Dragonite, if you have not enough Grass attached. However, considering you need 5 energy, you may not really need it, as the likelihood of getting enough energy should be pretty high.
Ok, I didn't realize there were Trainer cards that discard cards from your deck. Probably don't want to have too many of these cards in the deck. Don't want to get rid of too many cards. I also tested Dragonite in PTCGO and I got enough Energy for Heavy Impact pretty fast. Double Dragon Energy helps a lot too. Since Virizion EX's Ability and Move are based around Grass Pokemon and Dragonite's Heavy Impact needs a Grass Energy, I'll probably make Grass a secondary type. I still need to get to the Water aspect of the deck with Feebas and Milotic. I mean, afterall the deck is Dragonite/Virizion EX/Milotic!

You don't need to ever use Milotic to attack, or even include other water types simply because Milotic is in the deck! In fact, it is normal for there to be multiple types in decks that never will attack and are often lone. In Vileplume AOR variants (a Pokemon used only for its Ability), you'll rarely see Vileplume attacking and perhaps not even the use of other grass types.

As bbninjas has explained, some Pokemon sit on the bench for their ability not their attacks. Such as Mr.Mime, as his ability is to prevent bench damage, you wouldn't use him as an attacker, so you wouldn't put any Energy of that type into the deck (if there isn't any other Pokemon Attacks you want to use that require that energy anyways)

Anything that requires Energy Acceleration from discard will require 4 Battle Compressors, I'd rather get the cards I want than deck out- it doesn't sound like a lot to have 60 cards in a deck but it is very rare to deck out. The problem with Double Dragon is that if you're against Jirachi or Aegislash-EX you are stuck for a long time. There is also limited ways of bringing back Special Energy from discard. Items and Pokemon are easily done (Super Rod/Scared Ash)

I'm putting together Regice/M-Manectric /Articuno, and Articuno has the same Ancient Trait as Dragonite, which is useful for one prize match such as Vespi and Night March decks.

You don't need to ever use Milotic to attack, or even include other water types simply because Milotic is in the deck! In fact, it is normal for there to be multiple types in decks that never will attack and are often lone. In Vileplume AOR variants (a Pokemon used only for its Ability), you'll rarely see Vileplume attacking and perhaps not even the use of other grass types.
Oh! You mean never use Milotic in battle. Just it's Ability. But, I never planned to add other Water type Pokemon. I kind of want to add more Grass Pokemon because Virizion EX helps Grass type so much. But. I understand what you mean about not using Milotic to attack. It kind of reminds me of Wailord EX decks, where players stall while taking advantage of Wailord's massive HP.

As bbninjas has explained, some Pokemon sit on the bench for their ability not their attacks. Such as Mr.Mime, as his ability is to prevent bench damage, you wouldn't use him as an attacker, so you wouldn't put any Energy of that type into the deck (if there isn't any other Pokemon Attacks you want to use that require that energy anyways)

Anything that requires Energy Acceleration from discard will require 4 Battle Compressors, I'd rather get the cards I want than deck out- it doesn't sound like a lot to have 60 cards in a deck but it is very rare to deck out. The problem with Double Dragon is that if you're against Jirachi or Aegislash-EX you are stuck for a long time. There is also limited ways of bringing back Special Energy from discard. Items and Pokemon are easily done (Super Rod/Scared Ash)

I'm putting together Regice/M-Manectric /Articuno, and Articuno has the same Ancient Trait as Dragonite, which is useful for one prize match such as Vespi and Night March decks.
I can actually see using Battle Compressors to discard cards that you wouldn't need. But, what exactly is "energy acceleration"? Is that the term for just not putting any Energy on one of your Pokemon? Anyway, I get your example, using Night March decks. Night March decks use lots of Pokemon with Night March so that when those Pokemon get discarded, Night March gets stronger. Right?

I can actually see using Battle Compressors to discard cards that you wouldn't need. But, what exactly is "energy acceleration"? Is that the term for just not putting any Energy on one of your Pokemon? Anyway, I get your example, using Night March decks. Night March decks use lots of Pokemon with Night March so that when those Pokemon get discarded, Night March gets stronger. Right?

Pretty much. If you have a drawing hand of a battle compressor and you have supporters/pokemon to use late game/rely on one card hand (Such as Maxies Hidden Ball Trick) than you can discard those and use items to bring them back when you need them.

Energy acceleration is getting Energy out on Pokemon more than the regular one per turn. For example M-Manectric has an attack of Turbo Bolt, for one colourless and one lighting, it does 110, and you can put 2 basic energy from the discard pile onto one of your pokemon. It "accelerates" the Energy placement-another example is Magnezone from Break Through.

Correct-any Pokemon with the attack Night March are counted towards the Night March attack of an Active Pokemon. You need to get rid of these on Turn 1 basically as you don't want to be drawing them, especially Lampent as it's no use toy you in hand.

Pretty much. If you have a drawing hand of a battle compressor and you have supporters/pokemon to use late game/rely on one card hand (Such as Maxies Hidden Ball Trick) than you can discard those and use items to bring them back when you need them.

Energy acceleration is getting Energy out on Pokemon more than the regular one per turn. For example M-Manectric has an attack of Turbo Bolt, for one colourless and one lighting, it does 110, and you can put 2 basic energy from the discard pile onto one of your pokemon. It "accelerates" the Energy placement-another example is Magnezone from Break Through.

Correct-any Pokemon with the attack Night March are counted towards the Night March attack of an Active Pokemon. You need to get rid of these on Turn 1 basically as you don't want to be drawing them, especially Lampent as it's no use toy you in hand.
Thanks for explaining energy acceleration! I'm actually working on a Decklist now for the deck. It's pretty small , and I'm using the suggestions you and bbninjas are giving , along with some of my own. I'll probably be posting it to Deck Garage in the future. :)

Dragons are hard to play with because they require a ton of energy. So you need to be able to accurate the rate pace you are able to charge them at.
Hence the Milotic and battle compressors.
Other helpful cards to add would be Trainer Mail, Vseeker and Skyla. All of which help you get the cards you need out of your deck and back from your discard pile.

Try not to rely too heavily on special energy because there is no currently trainer help to draw it out of your deck or back from your discard. This means you could be stuck waiting to draw a double dragon energy.
You need to am to take control of your game by getting the cards you want or need out quickly.

I love playing with dragons and am really hoping to see some them get more support and play!
Good luck!

Dragons are hard to play with because they require a ton of energy. So you need to be able to accurate the rate pace you are able to charge them at.
Hence the Milotic and battle compressors.
Other helpful cards to add would be Trainer Mail, Vseeker and Skyla. All of which help you get the cards you need out of your deck and back from your discard pile.

Try not to rely too heavily on special energy because there is no currently trainer help to draw it out of your deck or back from your discard. This means you could be stuck waiting to draw a double dragon energy.
You need to am to take control of your game by getting the cards you want or need out quickly.

I love playing with dragons and am really hoping to see some them get more support and play!
Good luck!
I agree that dragons need more support in TCG and I'm also the same with not relying too heavily on special energy. I never wanted to include too much Special.

When you take under consideration that this particular Dragonite (ROS 52) requires GGGLC energy to attack, a non-Dragon type, solid Pokémon that can accelerate G energy onto Dragonite is worthy too of consideration? If you think so, checkout M Sceptile EX.

Back