Blog In-Depth Look at Wobbuffet / Primal Groudon-EX for the HGSS-on format (PTCGO Unlimited)

I'd argue Lugia LEGEND is a bigger part of the meta these days than some of what you listed... or at least I seem to play against more of them. Same with M-Mewtwo-EX although the good M-Mewtwo decks I've played against mostly ran Yveltal beside it anyway.

Junk Arm + Lost Remover is just brutal to play against for decks reliant on special energy. Interesting to see P-Groudon's matchups - I only know one of them, 'cause it's not a deck I run - and I love seeing the HGSS-on/"unlimited" metagame get more coverage.

Interesting list, though i have a few concerns. As someone who plays unlimited to farm tokens though, i think you should have had a list that didnt have Tropical Beach, and then put that card as a tech. Just that one card costs more than the rest of the deck combined and you want two of them. Same goes for the HGSS cards as many who hold them online are naturally reluctant to trade them for current packs.

As for the meta, You should point out that Trevanent/Wobbuffets is picking up in popularity due to Trevenant Break. It is meant to counter not only the Shiftry decks, but your anti-shiftry variants. You will auto lose because they will get a Trev by Turn 2

That said a unique article that i would not expect to see on Pokebeach and for that i applaud you guys

I'd argue Lugia LEGEND is a bigger part of the meta these days than some of what you listed... or at least I seem to play against more of them. Same with M-Mewtwo-EX although the good M-Mewtwo decks I've played against mostly ran Yveltal beside it anyway.

Junk Arm + Lost Remover is just brutal to play against for decks reliant on special energy. Interesting to see P-Groudon's matchups - I only know one of them, 'cause it's not a deck I run - and I love seeing the HGSS-on/"unlimited" metagame get more coverage.

Hey, thanks for your reply! I actually have only come across one or two Lugia LEGEND players out of hundreds of games. Perhaps your name attracts more birds than me!

Interesting list, though i have a few concerns. As someone who plays unlimited to farm tokens though, i think you should have had a list that didnt have Tropical Beach, and then put that card as a tech. Just that one card costs more than the rest of the deck combined and you want two of them. Same goes for the HGSS cards as many who hold them online are naturally reluctant to trade them for current packs.

As for the meta, You should point out that Trevanent/Wobbuffets is picking up in popularity due to Trevenant Break. It is meant to counter not only the Shiftry decks, but your anti-shiftry variants. You will auto lose because they will get a Trev by Turn 2

That said a unique article that i would not expect to see on Pokebeach and for that i applaud you guys

Thanks for your feedback! I originally wrote this weeks ago but only recently had it published. I did write a short part about the PTCGO card values. Tropical Beach is my favourite Stadium in the deck because it's so powerful in your early turns when you don't attack. Even though it is the best Stadium for the deck, it is still a strong deck with other Stadia.

It should be common knowledge for regular PTCGO players that you can easily acquire cards by setting up trades on the PTCGO forums. The easiest way is to use one of the trading groups' threads, and look up the cards you want and their values. Apart from Computer Search and Tropical Beach, every other card is valued at no more than two standard value packs. Now, this does depend on the individual trading groups and traders but I recommend the Top Cut group.

I do recognise the slow increasing amount of Trevenant Break. It does definitely pose a threat to Item-reliant decks but in the HS-on format, they are also still vulnerable to not starting with Wobbuffet against Shiftry. If there is no turn one Item lock, there's also a high chance of turn one Primal Groudon-EX.

I also have noticed much more Groudon in the format recently and would consider using a non-Basic, non-EX attacker like Garchomp BKP or Gallade BKT (with at least one Silent Lab). It helps in the mirror as well as other non-Shiftry match ups.

Unfortunately for some, the Unlimited format is being removed from VS and will be playable in Friend Battles only. They will be replacing Unlimited in VS with a format called Legacy, which is a static format (HGSS-LTR).
Another feature that TPCi hinted at was the ability to playtest in Friend Battles. The announcement text was unclear, yet it is possible that they are giving friend battles the ability to use any card in the database for matches, regardless if you have any or not (akin to Quickplay on TCG One).

Unfortunately for some, the Unlimited format is being removed from VS and will be playable in Friend Battles only. They will be replacing Unlimited in VS with a format called Legacy, which is a static format (HGSS-LTR).
Another feature that TPCi hinted at was the ability to playtest in Friend Battles. The announcement text was unclear, yet it is possible that they are giving friend battles the ability to use any card in the database for matches, regardless if you have any or not (akin to Quickplay on TCG One).

Yeah, it's sad they chose this route to make changes dealing with the Shiftry issue. I wrote this a while before the announcement. The original announcement said the update would take place on 16th March, but it didn't happen and the date from the announcement has been removed and no new date has been announced. This gives anyone a little bit more time to play Unlimited to grind towards that full art N if they haven't got it yet.

Yeah, it's sad they chose this route to make changes dealing with the Shiftry issue. I wrote this a while before the announcement. The original announcement said the update would take place on 16th March, but it didn't happen and the date from the announcement has been removed and no new date has been announced. This gives anyone a little bit more time to play Unlimited to grind towards that full art N if they haven't got it yet.
I definitely share your dissatisfaction with their choice to remove Unlimited.

As for when the patch comes into effect, I'll take an educated guess at May 5th. It is the date of the FCO implementation, and I wouldn't doubt that they try to kill two birds with one stone.

Holy Miltank!
The first article I read in Pokebeach about a Unlimited deck and it's about a anti-Shiftry deck.... great article Charmander, greate article...

I always liked the unlimited format , as you said, "HGSS -on Gives you a slightly larger card pool than Expanded and Allows you to be more creative When constructing the deck " , and also to use cards as Professor Oak New Theory and Cleffa but the difficult part is having to choose between playing with a deck that you like, or play with a disrupt deck with 4 Wobbuffet.

This article will help me to deal with the Archie/Maxie mechanic, which i'm not familiar with, thanks a lot for that.

And just few questions? Do you that mechanic would be great with another fighting pokes? like a deck with only Gallade, or only Machamp Prime, or even Mega Lucario with a energy discard? And do you think that I could use that mechanic with water pokes?

I hope to see more articles of you man! :)

I'd argue Lugia LEGEND is a bigger part of the meta these days than some of what you listed... or at least I seem to play against more of them.

I've seen this decks too, i think they become more popular with the splah energy and Smergle.

hey mate i am new to this format and i was wondering if anyone can tell me the best possible list of shiftry gaint fan deck

Back