Important Forum Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're all going about this the wrong way.

We shouldn't be arguing against the deletion of the Forums, because that's not going to change and is not the problem here.

The problem is the way things are run.

We have, as Lenny said, a system in which we have a group of elites deciding what happens.

This is the problem.

The majority of members are against this. The majority of members want those specified Forums to stay. The minority is those who are in favor of this happening.

The people of the forum, the members are the ones without a say in the decision-making process of what happens to these forums. That is the biggest concern. The higher-ups are the ones who make the decisions, and that is the way things happen. Shouldn't the changes to the forums be in the best interest of its users, the members? Is that not an efficient and good way to run things?

With members against how the forums are run and what happens to them, there are arguements like these, and people leaving. I dont want anyone replying to this saying that "Members who only come for games are stewpid", because that's not what this is about. This is about the bigger picture.

Go ahead, delete the forums.

But it's not going to be in the best interest of the users and the majority.

I find it to be as simple as "Dissapoint a few people (The people in favor), or dissapoint a lot of people (those who want the forums to stay".

Kill the forums

But change the way things are run.

So after having close to 10 hours to think about all these changes, I fully support all of them. If making Pokemon the first priority is the goal, then by all means, go do it.

However, I really wish that you guys would've given us (the members) a chance to learn about what was happening. This came completely out of the blue, and hit everyone like a truck. If the members had been given a chance to talk about this before everything was set in stone, possible alternatives could've been created, and their would not be such a large hate towards all these changes. Now, when everything is already set and laid out, its too late to use the voice of the members, the largest group of PokeBeach users, to make these forums better.

I'm not going to sugar coat this; the way these forums are run needs to change. A forum that doesn't care about what the users want doesn't deserve to have over 50,000 members. In the future, I really hope that the members get more of a chance to speak their concerns about the future of a forum that they're grown attached to over the days, months and years.

Thank you bippa for expanding on my statement even more.

What Pokebeach needs is a representation of the members in the decision-making process.

We dont neccesarily need members in on everything (Modding people and the like), but when major things like this happen, we need a say.

We are not trying to be Smogon or another site. We don't want to be them, we're our own site.

You guys don't seem to understand at all is what is frustrating. I didn't single out any games for being stupid. I am saying, that we are shifting our focus. When you have the second most popular forum being forum games, there is a problem. People seem to flock simply to games and neglect other things. I hear people complain about the TCG and VG program, well... what have you guys done for it recently? Oh I see... too busy playing forum games.

@ Bippa: Yes, I understand this. I do welcome debate on forum changes, but this time it isn't up for much debate. We ran ourselves around in circles trying to make things better in these forums, while trying to stay on top of other things. What happened is basically games sucking the life out of other places of the forum. In this case it's a matter of what needed to be done. Next time we have major changes, I'll let you guys know and we can discuss it. Also, I really do care about our forum's members, or I wouldn't be here.

My God quit it with the drama.

It's a bunch of forum games. You're not gonna die if we don't have them.

Also, we had a thread up a couple months ago about possible discontinued forums. http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-rule-updated-possibly-discontinued-forums Now I realize not everything was in the first post of that thread, but you were given a chance to discuss the forum's current state and its future.

Shining Raikou said:
We are not trying to be Smogon or another site. We don't want to be them, we're our own site.

You guys don't seem to understand at all is what is frustrating. I didn't single out any games for being stupid. I am saying, that we are shifting our focus. When you have the second most popular forum being forum games, there is a problem. People seem to flock simply to games and neglect other things. I hear people complain about the TCG and VG program, well... what have you guys done for it recently? Oh I see... too busy playing forum games.

Why shift your focus? Its not the site's fault for it's lacking in the TCG and VG area, it's the members themselves. The websites demographic is not a very highly competitively oriented group of people. Many of the players here are casual, and when not posting about Pokemon, they have somewhere else to go like the Games and More. You can't change the demographic that's already here. You can sort of impact the future members, but the trade-off that your making is not a good one.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Agreed.

@ Gale - Just because you don't play the games, doesn't mean we have to stop supporting what we believe in and like.

Xdogking said:
With all due respect, Pokebeach is never going to become known for TCG and VG. There are places who are focused on that and have the World Championship records to prove it. Pokebeach is known for news. I like the community, I like that its casual, I like the Games. Getting rid of that makes us a good news site that happens to have a forum.

100% True.
Stop trying to be like the other websites. Being unique is one of the thousands of reasons that makes Pokebeach remarkably popular. The game corner isn't destroying that image of PokeBeach. If anything,. the game corner helps PokeBeach out by standing out from the others. Grabbing the eyes, making people want to look through all of the threads in the forum. Then they will come across the many helpful thread about TCG, VG and etc and they will use it as they please. Don't force the TCG and VG on everyone who is a member for these forums. Many different members come here for many different things, not just TCG and etc. Forcing your opinions on us, hurts us and the Beach. Atleast give us some say in the things that matter to us. Instead of the "elite" picking to their likes and standards.
GAME CORNER= members hurt

Shining Raikou said:

Bolded and enlarged for emphasis since most of you won't understand anyway.

Like I said before, it's sad, but we just have to...

halolz-dot-com-pokemonblackwhite-krokorok-dealwithit.jpg

EDIT: as most of you know, I play forum games a lot, yet I still agree with all this.

Variety is the spice of life, and it should probably apply to this forum as well. Deleting the Forum and Games and other stuff would only alienate the PB members who like to go and post in those forums and threads. I haven't been here long enough to know what Pokebeach is really known for but I will say this.

It looks to me that removing or replacing the threads back at the first post might make Pokebeach just a Pokemon News Site which happens to have a forum to post stuff in, that reminds me of Serebii.

Oh yea, one more thing from an old member:

"Hi everyone, sure I'm going to never leave your mind at all. :) A lot of my friends here that have gotten upset about this, telling me that it will end the Game Corner. Don't act like I don't know what's going on because my PokeRealm friends filled me in. So, like I said, I've been told you guys are basically going to shut the Game Corner down. The same Game Corner you guys built up when you were just regular members. You claim that it is pointless and stupid, but you were the members that created the threads in the first place! A few things come to mind as I type this. The first is what DE said what PB is not to be known for it's Game Corner, but VGC and TGC sections. All I have to say to that is when has a site ever been known for that except for one that specializes in games? Also, whoever said it I don't care, but pointless posts I get, but this is coming from the same mod(s) who use "Banned because" all the time. Isn't that hypocritical? I also heard something about someone suggesting just to make a GC mod. Weren't we suggesting this forever ago as well right before the forum update? Finally, what I'd like to point out is how many people will be enraged if the Game Corner is shut down. People that come to mind are Guy (creator of the oh-so-popular Murder), all the RPG posters (which is a HUGE chunk) and anyone who wants to relax in general. Keep going in motion with your plan and you are bound to lose about 10% of your population, maybe more. All of you reading, remember that PR is always open for all of you. I'd love to see more games than my monthly Murder. *Hit enter twice* ~Joey"

I hate taking sides, so I'm not.

Just listen, I will explain each point if view and the reasoning.

Mod point of view:

Pokebeach was created to be a TCG site. The Game Corner is getting more attention, and shouldn't even be there.

Member point of view:

The Game Corner is relaxing and fun, and lets you get to know other members.

My person opinion is games such as MM2, The Challenge, and other games that have had lots of hard work put into should be kept.

dragonexpert said:
Also, we had a thread up a couple months ago about possible discontinued forums. http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-rule-updated-possibly-discontinued-forums Now I realize not everything was in the first post of that thread, but you were given a chance to discuss the forum's current state and its future.

That was those two forums. Not the game corner.

Pokebeach already has a reputation for being casual. You can't just refocus at this time. You already lost most of the VG section over the summer. Forums like casual tcg discussion just add to that. If you got rid of casual forums rather than the game corner, you would take steps in becoming more competitive. I think you really should rethink removing the game corner. It doesn't take away from competitive-ness, the devoted casual forums do that. Pokebeach was known for its art, you can't just take that away.

You can't just hope to be as competitive as http://google.com/ or smogon by just taking away the game corner and casual forums. You also have to have moves such as tutoring and more tournaments, harsher rules on RMTs, ect. TCG is another issue. Promoting articles and metagame discussion is really the only way to do that. You also would have to attract more competitive members by removing casual decks from the deck help forum. Members are the main issue here, not other forums. You attract casual members and expect it to be competitive. That doesn't work. /endrant

If you need help, I'd be happy to make the forum a better place.

Azelf Master said:

Pokebeach already has a reputation for being casual. You can't just refocus at this time. You already lost most of the VG section over the summer. Forums like casual tcg discussion just add to that. If you got rid of casual forums rather than the game corner, you would take steps in becoming more competitive. I think you really should rethink removing the game corner. It doesn't take away from competitive-ness, the devoted casual forums do that. Pokebeach was known for its art, you can't just take that away.

You can't just hope to be as competitive as http://google.com/ or smogon by just taking away the game corner and casual forums. You also have to have moves such as tutoring and more tournaments, harsher rules on RMTs, etc. TCG is another issue. Promoting articles and metagame discussion is really the only way to do that. You also would have to attract more competitive members by removing casual decks from the deck help forum. Members are the main issue here, not other forums. You attract casual members and expect it to be competitive. That doesn't work. /endrant

No one ever said that taking away the game forum would mean we would immediately be able to be as competitive as any other website. It's the first of many steps in the right direction.

:/

Some of you guys make me want to bash my head against the wall.

What do you think focus means? Of course we're going to do more for the TCG and Video Games... and it all won't be competitive stuff. There will also be art, faking and writing activities too.

Azelf Master said:

You can't just hope to be as competitive as http://google.com/ or smogon by just taking away the game corner and casual forums. You also have to have moves such as tutoring and more tournaments, harsher rules on RMTs, etc. TCG is another issue. Promoting articles and metagame discussion is really the only way to do that. You also would have to attract more competitive members by removing casual decks from the deck help forum. Members are the main issue here, not other forums. You attract casual members and expect it to be competitive. That doesn't work. /endrant

100% agreed also. They could of at least done this little by little, letting us get use to it or something. Pointless= getting rid of the GC

Shining Raikou said:
Some of you guys make me want to bash my head against the wall.

What do you think focus means? Of course we're going to do more for the TCG and Video Games... and it all won't be competitive stuff. There will also be art, faking and writing activities too.

Why say the game corner is killing you when you also know the casual forums are causing you pain too? I thought this was to clean the forum and refocus it positively?

Bottom line is that the changes we're making should be beneficial in the long run.

I'm hoping to find ways to boost activity in the Art/Faking sections. PokéBeach, truthfully, is one of the premiere websites for faking, and I'd like to start to include art in there as well. It'll be an uphill battle (especially considering the numerous oekaki websites, dA, etc.), but I think we can make some strides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back