I'm doing it.. Discussion on Prize Support Increase

Puckstopper20

Aspiring Trainer
Information Here: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/tcg-stateprovinceterritory-championships/

Okay, after skimming through four pages of discussion on The Gym, I still don't understand what everyone is trippin' about.

I didn't start this for the sake of an arguement, I honestly don't understand why the Masters division is so hung up on this.

From what I understand so far, is that Masters aren't being give enough prize support, and apparently, the younger divisions are being rewarded more money for doing well at larger tournaments.

Maybe I don't get it because I'm not competitive enough to compete in the large tournaments. (6CPs this season for making Top 8 :cool: Woooo!) Please, let's have an honest and serious discussion about this.

I think the idea is for travel expenses since juniors and seniors are likely traveling with parents. Where as masters are likely traveling alone.

It's not a fair assumption but I can see how they can think that

I honestly could care less about prizes as do a good number of masters. Championship Points are the prize, but I do think its funny though how half of the masters that complain about this kind of thing in threads across various forum, have never even top cut. Therefore it doesn't affect them.

Puckstopper20 said:
Information Here: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/tcg-stateprovinceterritory-championships/

Okay, after skimming through four pages of discussion on The Gym, I still don't understand what everyone is trippin' about.

I didn't start this for the sake of an arguement, I honestly don't understand why the Masters division is so hung up on this.

From what I understand so far, is that Masters aren't being give enough prize support, and apparently, the younger divisions are being rewarded more money for doing well at larger tournaments.

Maybe I don't get it because I'm not competitive enough to compete in the large tournaments. (6CPs this season for making Top 8 :cool: Woooo!) Please, let's have an honest and serious discussion about this.
You've completely missed the argument if that's what you think the majority of the people are saying. Here is the discussion in a few key points
A. Juniors and Seniors are getting $200 extra for winning States
B. The goal of the regionals change was to promote growth in the juniors and seniors divisions.
C. If the goal is to promote growth, this is NOT the way to do it.
D. The divisions have always received equal prizes, so creating an inequality will create a rift in fans (and leave some players feel like they are being treated "less than" the "more equal" fans).
E. If the goal is to provide juniors' and seniors' parents a buffer, 15-17 year olds (also minors) have the same stress on their parents' budget. Why don't they get the money?
What don't you understand exactly?

exdarkrai01 said:
I honestly could care less about prizes as do a good number of masters. Championship Points are the prize, but I do think its funny though how half of the masters that complain about this kind of thing in threads across various forum, have never even top cut. Therefore it doesn't affect them.
1. This is an unfair claim. You're making an assumption that cannot be demonstrated.
2. Looking through the gym thread, Diaz, Raen, Ness, psychup, Vageta ss4, ryanvergil, z-man, eriknance, and Jaegar have definitely made cut at States. Notice how all of them have opinions against the decision?
3. It most certainly does affect them! This affects everyone. This sets a precedent for giving unequal prizes to the different age divisions. This is a bad precedent to set tbh. We've always given equal prizes, and it should honestly stay that way. Inequality creates a rift in the player base. There's no reason to start that inequality in the first place.
4. Most people I've met disagree with you. CP are USELESS unless you have 400 of them. Most players I know feel like they've earned something when they are handed prizes for success. When two people accomplish the same thing but are handed noticeably unequal prizes, it is natural to get upset about that.

CodeMonkey said:
2. Looking through the gym thread, Diaz, Raen, Ness, psychup, Vageta ss4, ryanvergil, z-man, eriknance, and Jaegar have definitely made cut at States. Notice how all of them have opinions against the decision?
Why are you referring to yourself in the third person?

Water Pokémon Master said:
CodeMonkey said:
Why are you referring to yourself in the third person?
Because why not :)

I'm more making the point that prizes are not the main concern of most masters. Most masters than I know aren't traveling 3 or more hours to have a chance at a booster box. People are going to complain just because yes it is unfair, but they forget that they would be there anyway if there was less prize support because there is a chunk of championship points on the line. And notice I said half. Some masters who have an issue with the prize support do very well, but the point i'm trying to make is that most masters are more concerned with Championship points than with booster boxes or travel awards (thats not me saying they are not, just that they are more interested in CP).

my point of view is it should be fair for everyone because everyone puts alot of time and effort into the game whether whichever division. Some can argue masters is harder then the other ones so it deserves more but from a juniors or seniors perspective theres not that many ppl so they have to play the same tough competition all the time. just make it even prize support. another thing i'm thinking is they might lose some masters because but they still have some masters that play it fir the love of the game and making new friends.

^Yup.

My point of view: I am a senior. I think that what Ironfurret said is true. That the traveling expenses for parents is why they get more money.

Back