"If you have more prizes left than your opponent..." cards

muffinman57

Aspiring Trainer
There has been much talk lately about the loss of Claydol, the speed of Luxchomp and how it will continue to dominate, and of course how "slow" stage 2 decks will be and how they cannot compete. That is where my title comes in.

I believe that good stage 2 decks such as Tyranitar, Steelix Prime, Kingdra, maybe even the Meganium/Blissey deck there has been whisper of, can make a comeback by playing into their inherent slowness rather than trying to be faster than SP decks. Each card that does something based on you having more prizes left than your opponent has a very good effect. So after your opponent rushes your Uxies with Garchomp C for quick prizes. You can be using those cards I'm talking about to build up say 2-3 tyranitar with twins within the span of a turn or two and hit hard with black belt for a KO and with 3 tyranitars hanging around you should be steam rolling SP.

Granted this is just an idea I had and I haven't actually playtested. But the idea sounded good to me. Please share with me your ideas on the subject. I haven't really seen people talk about these cards positively because they say you shouldn't count on being down in prizes. But it's pretty guaranteed using a stage 2 deck vs SP and such. Discuss! (sorry for typos/grammar, I'm on an iPhone)

These types of cards are not so popular now... because there really aren't good ones right now. We will get Twins which REALLY helps stage 2 decks. IMO stage 2 decks work just fine. They NEED a starter though and uxies are precious. This is how these types of decks worked in the past. Years ago, players tried to open with Holon Castform, and went from there. Similar things will progress now. I see spiritomb being the starter of choice. The thing is, stage 2s are often balanced so that they're worth the extra turns that are needed to drop them.

Zero said:
These types of cards are not so popular now... because there really aren't good ones right now. We will get Twins which REALLY helps stage 2 decks. IMO stage 2 decks work just fine. They NEED a starter though and uxies are precious. This is how these types of decks worked in the past. Years ago, players tried to open with Holon Castform, and went from there. Similar things will progress now. I see spiritomb being the starter of choice. The thing is, stage 2s are often balanced so that they're worth the extra turns that are needed to drop them.

I actually took a hiatus during the full EX series of sets, but it sounds like the same idea. Everyone always complains about the speed of stage 2 decks, which I believe is just nonsense. You are right stage 2 decks are completely balanced, stage 2 cards are more powerful than ever so they don't even need to be fast. Just fast enough to not lose in a sense, between stalling and "more prize cards than your opponent" cards, I believe stage 2 (or even stage 1, ie: donphan, steelix) will see a lot more play than last seasons very small range of diversity with everything being SP.

Well I feel that it could work, also don't forget about Black Belt, I heard that back in the days when Scramble Energy was legal (I wasn't playing yet :( ) people would purposely show up late to their match get a prize penality, then donk people with things like Gardevoir SW. I could see people doing that with the addition of Twins, and I could see some metagame decks that are designed to get a slow start. IDK though, only time will tell.

Vulpix Yolk said:
Well I feel that it could work, also don't forget about Black Belt, I heard that back in the days when Scramble Energy was legal (I wasn't playing yet :( ) people would purposely show up late to their match get a prize penality, then donk people with things like Gardevoir SW. I could see people doing that with the addition of Twins, and I could see some metagame decks that are designed to get a slow start. IDK though, only time will tell.

This is a VERY good point, however the Prize penalty is at the other players discretion. If the on-time player does not take a prize card this does not negate the recording of the penalty, nor the added stipulation that the late player CANNOT win on time. Also, penalties are cumulative. If you have already received a penalty for an action, doing it again will result in an escalated action. Prize Penalty, Multi-Prize, Game Loss, DQ. So you won't win a tournament doing this, but it is definitely something to be wary of if your opponent is late.

Back