I won Ft. Wayne Regionals?

CFOURCOLTSFAN

Aspiring Trainer
Round One v. Timothy K w/ ReshiBoar

We flip over our basics, and I see a Tepig and Reshiram, going "Really? Round One?". Luckily his start is iffy at best and I'm able to KO all of his Tepigs, unfortunately he is constantly Pokemon Catcher up my basic Cyndaquils and takes prizes. I end up coming back and get it to the point where his only chance of winning is hitting a DCE and either a 3rd Pokemon Catcher or a 4th Junk Arm, both of which aren't typically played in high counts in ReshiBoar, but of course he plays a high Catcher count, and hits the DCE off of a PONT for the win. GG.

So, I'm 0-1 and already in danger of having to win out(heaven forbade I put myself in a good position to top cut) and I'm at a table so low it isn't even COLORED... Not good.

Round Two v. I can't remember his name(but he was super nice) w/ Stage One Rush(Zoroark/Donphan/Yanmega)

My start is absolute crud, and he gets like a turn two Yanmega and Donphan. I was able to stall a little bit while Pokemon Catcher up a Phanpy. We then Eek, draw, pass for a while, but he eventually gets aggressive and KO's a Horsea and a Cyndaquil. At some point he takes two prizes instead of one, which gets me a prize penalty. I'm able to come back, and get set up. My end game then consisted of Flare Destroy his energies on Donphans and OHKO Zoroarks/ Yanmegas, which was just enough to get me the win by a prize. GG.

Round Three v. Why can't I remember names(really nice guy too) w/ Beartic/Floatzel/Blastiose

We flip over basics, and then I realize he is playing a deck just to beat me :(

But, we both get bad starts and the game is Eek, draw, pass for a while and because I played Kingdra his whole deck was in OHKO range, and that is exactly what happened, not all that exciting. Really good game, but just a standard prize exchange.

Round Four v. I will never remember names(local kid) w/ google.Dec w/ Beartic

FINALLY! I hit a deck that I overteched for. I was really scared early, he got a turn two Beartic attacking and Vileplume, but no Reuniclus or hand. This allowed me to bring up a Duosion with Bellsprout one turn, retreat, KO Duosion. Then I brought up his Solosis and got the KO. Then he couldn't move damage anymore. Not that close, but scared me a ton early game.

So, I was 3-1 and was in decent position to cut once I confirmed with Chris Fulop that all 6-2's would cut, except maybe one.

Round Five v. Issac Sores w/ MewLock

YAY, MY FIRST GAME AT DOUBLE DIGIT TABLES :)

So we flip over and I was pretty confident in matchup against the deck, the Typhlosions KO'd his Mews, and if I got setup the Muk wasn't a problem. The problem in this game was my Cleffa stayed asleep for five turns and I had SCD(Severe Clumping Disorder) but never got a deck search. Once I get "setup", relatively, I storm back, but I just ran out of steam. GG.

So, I KNOW that I have to win out. not the most thrilling idea ever but it was onto Round 6.

Round Six v. Colin Peterik w/ google.Dec

This was an insanely intense game, we both set up and Eek for a long time, while Eeking I setup KOs on his bench with Kingdra Prime, while slowly building up to Reshiram. I end up getting a four prize lead before he gets going, but he whiffs on a Rainbow Energy, and by using Bellsprout to drag up and kill a Reuniclus he ran out of places to put damage from ESL. GG.

Round Seven v. I can't even remember locals names now w/ MegaZone

This was a great game, I get a good setup, but don't get many KOs because he KOs my Kingdra and Horseas instantly. He also KOs my Reshiram using THREE energy, very key. I began counting his energies and using Pokemon Catcher to Flare Destroy and eventually run him out of energies. At the end he only has one thing that can attack, Yanmega Prime, and I just drag it up and Blue Flare, essentially for game. I end up completing the four prize rally two turns after that.

That was another close, great game, and to me it proved that TyRam at least required some skill to run, and I now love my Typhlosion Primes.

Round Eight v. David Brown w/ Stage One Rush(Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark/Zekrom)

This was a battle of attrition. We both dead drew most of the game, but I kept using some stalling tactics to prize deny him, and at some point he whiffs on energy for a while and I just Outraged for my last prizes. GG.

I really didn't want to win my last game like that, but he did say that I just grinded through the early part and came back(I got down by 2 prizes) so my deck just got through it. Kind of like a running game in football, I guess.

So, I get into T32 and get my matchup, Gothitelle :)

T32 v. Bryan Le w/ Gothitelle

Game One

I get a good start and get out my 2 Typhos and 2 Kingdras, plus a Reshiram and just steamroll. Especially since I was able to bring up a Reuniclus, and then he ran out damage slots even with Blissey Prime.

Game Two

No stage ones prized, but I couldn't draw into them. My bench was 4 Cyndaquil and 2 Horsea :(

Game Three

He gets a bad start, lots of Solosis, and I just get aggressive early on against a lone Goth, he whiffs on Reuniclus and has no chance.

So, we end up having T16 on Sunday, and nothing exciting really happened.

It stunk to KO a friend, but I overteched for it and it worked.

T16 v. Amanda Salienk(not sure if I got last name right) w/ TyRam w/Kingdra Prime

She goes first both games, but never sets up in either and I got pretty good starts, so I swept her.

I learn after(from Matt) that apparently she looked at the list of top 16, and was ticked she lost to me because I was the least qualified to win, not going to lie that made my day when I heard that :)

Skinny white kid in muscle shirt and shorts for the win :)

T8 v. Pooka w/ TyRam

So as promotion for the site, I'm not going to post a report for this match, they'll have it up at some point on their site.

T4 v. Jack Iler w/ TyRam

Another Ohioan friend :(

When we flip over, I remark " Am I the only one.." and he replies " Not playing Ninetales? Yes." That was funny. My memory is a bit fuzzy but game one I'm pretty sure I just got the initial lead and held it through out the match.

The next game I won(I can't remember if he won game two or not), he gets nothing the entire game and I just setup. GJ on top 4 Jack.

T2 v. My memory is really bad w/ Donphan/Zoroark/Zekrom/Tornadus

Match will be on top cut.

I ended up winning Regionals :)

I was pretty pumped and it was just awesome, I'm pretty sure I had about 20 people open packs for me, so that was fun too. Megan got 7th and Ohio got 2nd in Jrs. Austin H won in Srs, and I won in Masters, so we were close to getting a sweep ;)

Props

Ohio people for cheering me on, it was pretty cool.

Matt telling me to just keep winning and his deck advice(as always)

Really Good Packs

John Lathem pulling a FA Victini in the packs I gave him, without him I wouldn't be playing this game, so big shout out to him.

Other awesome OH People/Friends I saw

Zele, Reed, Austin, Bryan, Ty, Tad, Beckett, Matt, Adler, Jake, Austin, Kim, Mike, Jack, Jacob, John, Mike Collins(who DIDN'T kill me despite having to judge all my top 16 matches :p Moms of players, Joey, Megan, David, Dan, Ryan and Alex(sadly they couldn't make it :( AJ, Misplay Mike, Chance, Andrew, Shawn, and Chris :) Hopefully I didn't forget anybody but shout outs to everybody and Henry

Great event run by Derek

Seeing Pooka

ZERO RH'S in my deck :p

Slops

Nick not being there

Venue, other than seating wasn't the best

literally no VGC

Joey bubbling out @ 17th

Not much to complain about

*shameless plug-list will be in my 6P.com article*

Yay I'm #2 on the props list :) Gratz on the win Carl, you deserved it. Your 1 liners finally paid off /insidejoke

I really wish I could have stayed and see you win. That would have been probably the highlight of the weekend. I'm also excited to see your matches on Top Cut. Did they film your match against Pooka and the Top 2 match?

PS: What misplays did Mike do?

Wow carl, you really had to do that -.- I'm not giving you my top secret JPN States lists now :p

piplup-yeah finally :) thnx.

mudkip-thnx, that means a lot to me. they should be up soon, they taped my t8 v. pooka and my top 2. As far as I know none really, i just used to distinguish him from Mikey Collins :p

piplup-i guess i might not need it :p i've got some ideas of what i want to play for states though.

Well Hoolon said that he made a lot of misplays. I'm just curious as to what they are. I guess we'll see when the videos come out.

I don't recall Mike mentioning any of them when i talked to him Sunday morning, but to be fair the deck he had was pretty hard, imo, to play it was like Magnezone/Yanmega/Cinccino. IDK if they'll have videos of his games, they only taped pooka's games and his top cut(and they couldn't tape all of those, i'll tell u about that later) and then the other top 4 game(not another TyRam mirror) and then top 2. unless they randomly taped some swiss games.

You should really change your signature, and oic. I look forward to seeing the videos.

Do you know what hotel you are at for Nats now?

i heard(not 100% confirmed) that it's the JW Marriot, which if yes, makes nats a win as far as i'm concerned, like when i went there on friday nite so ryan/david/alex could pick me up(my roommates were lmao and didn't do mutant draft) literally just went around handing out free drinks(i obviously had pop, but still)...i'm pretty psyched. also for the record i now have like 2 free trips to indy b/c at gencon i got a free badge to gencon b/c i won a killer bunnies tourney.

It's probably the JW. You'll have to come over to my hotel Thursday night so we can playtest (I'm at the regular Marriott). At least now you have an actual hotel room....

Did Pooka say when the vids will be up?

lol :p
yeah the first thing john said was "Good i don't have to worry about him sleeping in my room!"

no he didn't, but i think by the end of the week is a fair guess.

although i am embarrassed i'm 99% sure that i forgot to spray splash one turn v. pooka(although he didn't lay down a cleffa or anything so it was irrelevant but still...)

Megan forgot to Spray Splash a lot in her Top 8 games. I wish I could have reminded her.

And don't be embarrassed. You still won, didn't you?

yeah i guess but still....i heard about megan though..ugh it seems like the most forgotten power, i know i've seen people lose games strictly b/c they didn't spray splash :p

b/c i didn't think of that...added it in...sheesh.

It's forgotten because you get so caught up in the moment. It's a small thing to remember, but it's has lost so many games, lol.

I would've paid big money to see you and Pooka play live, but alas I'll wait for youtube. (If you didn't know, I was the one who played you in the finals at league the previous Saturday) Congratulations, Carl.

Mudkip-completely agree, i ended up losing that game(it was our one legit game) but the extra 10 damage was irrelevant, i actually had the game next turn but he triple plus powered to KO my Reshiram, if doesn't do that i had the sage in hand and all i needed was a catcher or junk arm or an energy and i won(i also had a pretty thin deck to)

oyeah-I actually didn't know you were on gym or beach, nice to meet you online now.

Hey your that dood...

I read your article series carls cache and it made me want to do competitive pokemon. Ima do cities in December if I can come up with card money. Thanks and keep up the awesome articles, I'll be rooting for you at cities.

i'm glad to hear i got someone want to do pokemon competitively, it really is fun and you make a lot of friends.
thnx for the congrats and hopefully i've have some good reports for you guys for CC's.

Back