I can soon say I was a n00b

Strike Ninja

Aspiring Trainer
Umm...I'm kind of new to this Pokemon thing, but it seems like a fun game and I have some old pokemon from years ago, so I was thinking about trying it out.  I sorta know how to play, but I was wondering, is there like a YVD but for Pokemon?  YVD is short for Yugioh Virtual Desktop.  The program has like a Deck Builder and then you can duel (I think it is called battle in Pokemon) another opponent by either Connecting or Listening.  Xerocreative put the program out for free.  Does anyone know where you could get that kind of thing, but for Pokemon instead?  

Oh yeah, and it isn't obvious, I am also a pretty good YuGiOh player.  That's where the whole Strike Ninja name comes from.  

One last thing:  I know the basic rules like 1 attacker, 5 or 6 benched pokemon allowed, as many trainer cards can be as you want, they can evolve up to the next stage each turn if you have the next higher stage of a pokemon on the field and the evolution card in hand, and 1 energy per turn.  But what are Stadiums (are they like Field Spells?)?Can you still use cards from the older sets (like Fossil or whatever those sets were called)?  Is Professor Oak legal for decks?  If someone could send a link to where I could read the answers to these questions and maybe an online rule book, that would be nice.  

Danke

there's 2 programs similar to YVD called apprentice and another one called OTCGN. apprentice is available on the front page below clefairy on the left.
stadiums are similar to fields and tools are similar 2 equips
(pokemon rules over all card games!! (except watching poker on TV wich is the funnest thing on earth (lol))).

Haha, thanks, that really helps.  What about the older sets?  Are they illegal, because I haven't seen any decks around here running stuff like Fossil Moltres, Jungle Rapidash (which actually works really well on the old nintendo game), and Promo Entei (I think it is the one with the 50 power Protective Flame).

I love the little TCG wars that people have about which game is better, it's hilarious. All I know is that each game is unique and the real challenge is in MTG, which I will never play...

Strike Ninja said:
Haha, thanks, that really helps.  What about the older sets?  Are they illegal, because I haven't seen any decks around here running stuff like Fossil Moltres, Jungle Rapidash (which actually works really well on the old nintendo game), and Promo Entei (I think it is the one with the 50 power Protective Flame).

I love the little TCG wars that people have about which game is better, it's hilarious.  All I know is that each game is unique and the real challenge is in MTG, which I will never play...

That's a classic deck!

But stuff like that is still legal or are all 'classic' cards like banned since neo genesis came out? I can still run Professor Oak right? RIght? RiGhT?

Nope, you cannot, unless your playing "Traditional".

In the "Advanced" format (I'm a YGO veteran myself), you can only use cards from the sets Ex Deoxys and on, and some promos. The ONLY cards from OLD sets you may use are cards that were later re-printed, such as energy and switch and all.

These sets are legal:

EX DRAGON FRONTIERS
EX CRYSTAL GUARDIAN
EX HOLON PHANTOMS
EX LEGEND MAKER
DELTA SPECIES
UNSEEN FORCES
EX EMERALD
DEOXYS

Question 1. = Apprentice, OCTGN. Those are the two most popular and best ones.
Question 2. = Only stadiums that have been reprinted or are new to the format, but in the modified format may be used in Modified. Unlimited, well, you can use any of 'em. And Stadiums are just cards that kind of help you gain an advantage over the Opponent because it's a stadium that helps your deck most likely.

Question 3. = No it's not :(. Unless you play Unlimited.

Arcanine out.

Back