Hype on Reshiboar?

Godzillian

Excellence does not come without effort.
I don't quite understand what's the hype around Reshiram & Emboar w/ Ability. Why not just run double Emboar since you'd be running off the same evolution line anyway? You'd be doing 150 damage per turn with Emboar w/o Ability, instead of 120 damage with Reshiram.

Can anyone explain to me this hype???

Reshiram is faster and more consistent than double Emboar. One Basic Pokemon and one Stage-2 is much faster than two Stage's, and your recovery is also better. Emboar also forces you to discard all Fire Energy attached to it, which is all Energy attached to Emboar unless it has a DCE, Rescue Energy, etc. attached. Lastly, with 4 Reshiram, 2-1-2 line of Emboar with two Rare Candy instead of 4-2-4 Emboar with three or four Rare Candy, you can save four cards.

I actually played against a Reshiboar with straight Emboar and although I like straight Emboar better I think Reshiboar has more potential. The problem with straight Emboar is you have to set up two stage 2s and keep one of them going through out the entire game. Now that's not impossible, but if you're playing a 2/2 split of Emboar and one gets knocked out you have to bring up another one while you recover the first one which is not easy when our only recovery is Flower Shop Lady which is a pretty bad card. It's just not easy getting all of that set up.

Now with Reshiboar, you only have to set up one stage two and your main attacker is a basic so swarming them is easy and recovery is a snap.

If ReshiBoar wants to stack up against Zekrom it will need to be as fast and consistent as possible, with just 1 Stage 2 line for consistency as Gliscor mentioned earlier.

I'll give you the turn-by-turn steps:
T1: Active Reshiram, make sure you have Tepig on bench and draw power (Vulpix or Shuckle), get energy (Interviewer's, etc), attach energy to Reshiram - pass.
T2: Candy Tepig to Emboar, attach x energy to Reshiram, discard to draw with Ninetales or attach to draw with Shuckle. Attack. Odds are that's your first prize.
TX: Oh no! Your Reshiram just got KO'ed! Well, good thing I have ANOTHER Reshiram on my bench AND Revives in my hand.

I really despise this deck. It's too good :p

~xatu~ said:
I'll give you the turn-by-turn steps:
T1: Active Reshiram, make sure you have Tepig on bench and draw power (Vulpix or Shuckle), get energy (Interviewer's, etc), attach energy to Reshiram - pass.
T2: Candy Tepig to Emboar, attach x energy to Reshiram, discard to draw with Ninetales or attach to draw with Shuckle. Attack. Odds are that's your first prize.
TX: Oh no! Your Reshiram just got KO'ed! Well, good thing I have ANOTHER Reshiram on my bench AND Revives in my hand.

I really despise this deck. It's too good :p

haha I run reshiboar with ninetales for draw power and that's the exact steps I take. collector or poke comm (if I don't have collector) for reshiram first turn. then do exactly the strategy you laid out. I won my first tourny (battle roads but meh...first tourny since reshiram's release) with reshiboar.

two people I battled couldn't beat me because they ran sabledonk (or a form of sabledonk) and couldn't take down my reshiram. one guy could (dude drew perfect cards) but I had a second one on my bench from the start. he had to forfeit with 1 card left in his draw pile and only knocking out 2 of my reshiram. by then I had two more and emboar w/ ability set up.

with straight emboar, the dude would've destroyed me. yeah sabledonk's leaving with rotation, but with zekdonk being the next big donk deck, zekrom would have to draw absolutely perfect cards with a perfect flip or two to donk reshiram....(considering if I have another reshiram out, which definitely do if I go first and usually have at least something else on the bench even if I go second)

reshiram just stalls amazingly well. gives enough time to get bench set up and just use revive to bring it back. that's why it's better than straight emboar.

Plus, emboar (non ability) can get revenge KO'd by zoroark with no PlusPower or special dark :/ so Reshiram is better. But i run a 3-2-3 emboar in my reshiboar deck (one non-ability) and it works great

Not to mention you get to search for your main attacker with Pokemon Collector. The whole ordeal of another Stage 2 line is redonkulous, so Reshi's the way to go here.

EspeonROX said:
Not to mention you get to search for your main attacker with Pokemon Collector. The whole ordeal of another Stage 2 line is redonkulous, so Reshi's the way to go here.

here is your main reason to why reshiram is better. You can get it with collector, communication, dual ball, revive (if it was KO'd or discarded). Not to mention it's 3 energy for 120 damage. but like i said earlier, i run one non ability emboar as a back up attacker and he's since he can ohko blastoise

Two words. Stage Two. For the deck to function, you are going to need to get out two Stage Twos and attach an extra energy. If you want, you can Collector for 3 Reshiram then bench them. Emboar can't do that. It isn't worth the loss of speed for the extra 30 damage and 20 hp.

I agree that Reshiboar is more consistent than Double Emboar; what people don't seem to understand is how many deck slots Reshiboar needs to maintain fast energy search in the early game and consistent recovery later, whereas Typhlosion based builds can fill these slots with more setup consistency, recovery, and midgame techs. I still say Reshiboar is overhyped, and while it doesn't have any abysmally BAD matchups, it lacks any really good ones, too.

Kittymew said:
I agree that Reshiboar is more consistent than Double Emboar; what people don't seem to understand is how many deck slots Reshiboar needs to maintain fast energy search in the early game and consistent recovery later, whereas Typhlosion based builds can fill these slots with more setup consistency, recovery, and midgame techs. I still say Reshiboar is overhyped, and while it doesn't have any abysmally BAD matchups, it lacks any really good ones, too.

yeah but if your one reshiram gets knocked out and you send out your second one with no energies and only typhlosion on the bench, you'll have to wait another turn to attack unless your second reshiram already has damage, in which case it's probably going to be knocked out next turn before you can attack with blue flare. with emboar (ability) you can just attach the three energy right away without adding damage to your guy. Take it from a guy whose tried it a few time: purposefully adding to try to outrage is a horrible idea and you will lose many times.

I run 4 fisherman, 3 energy retrievals, 2 IQ, 13 fire energy and ninetales for draw power. with all of that, unless I'm very unlucky, I get all the energies I need consistently. 1 match out of the 11 matches at battle roads a couple days ago (which I won with reshiboar) I did get enough energy to attack with reshiram until turn 4. but I very unluckily started with 1 reshiram, 2 emboar, 3 revive and a rare candy. turn 1 I drew a second rare candy. turn 2 I drew a fire energy, turn 3 I drew fisherman and turn 4 I drew an IQ. I only have 2 rare candies and 4 revives lol...it was ridiculous.

With so much energy fetch, you have no disruption, less search for pokemon, and less room for techs and recovery. What do you do with donchamp? Zekrom?

zekrom's too slow for this deck mid- to late-game. and for that early game zekdonk idea, you need a perfect hand to pull it off against reshiram. against donchamp, donphan doesn't hit hard enough to take out reshiram. and I've battled machamp decks with my reshiboar and beat 'em every time for the same reason zekrom doesn't beat it. it'll take minimum two turns for donphan to do attack, then turn three with perfect energies and cards for machamp to be up and hitting. reshiboar can be set up by that same time. then it's prize for prize all the way down. many variables like revive or rescue energy for reshiram, or rescue energy for machamp could mean the difference between the victor. or pure battle tactics.

but since we're all talking pure theory on these forums, both players will have same skill in playing the game and both decks would be the best they possibly can be. and if so, then it really just comes down to a coin flip to see who is the winner. or should i say, it comes down to who gets set up faster, which in theory, would depend on who starts first.

Entei and Raikou Legend in ReshiBoar helps your Zekrom match-up by a significant amount especially after the have played 1-2 shaymin UL and 1-2 Pachirisu and there is at least 2 prize cards to catch up, if in a losing position that is.

Back