• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Hydro (M Blastoise EX / Blastoise / Dusknoir)

Iceman26

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 16

• 4 Blastoise EX (XY)
    2 M Blastoise EX (XY)
    2 Duskull (BCR)
    1 Dusclops (FlashFire)
    2 Dusknoir (BCR)
    1 Squirtle (BCR)
    1 Wartortle (PLB)
    1 Blastoise (PLB)
    1 Suicune (PLB)
    1 Jirachi EX (PLB)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34

• 4 Professor Juniper
    1 Colress
    1 Lysandre
    2 Pokemon Fan Club
    3 Skyla
    3 N

3 Muscle Band
    2 Startling Megaphone
    3 Rare Candy
    1 Sacred Ash
    1 Evosoda
    2 Escape Rope
    1 Energy Retrieval
    1 Switch
    2 Professor's Letter
    1 Scramble Switch
    3 Ultra Ball
Energy: 10

• 10 Water Energy

Strategy:

The main strategy for this deck is to set up M Blastoise EX and use the move Hydro Bombard. Using Dusknoir's Sinister Hand ability I move around the Hydro Bombard's damage to either take out my opponent's powered up pokemon or benched pokemon. Suicune is there as a stall for the EX's that are roaming around in the game.

I tried to set up 1-2 Blastoise EX early on and with the help of Pokemon Fan Club I get my basics on the field. Also I tried to attach at least one energy every turn. I have not been able to fully use the squirtle-blastoise line to the best of its ability, I usually never get to set it up. I know that this deck is pretty slow even for a Mega Pokemon. I know that there are some improvements that I can make and would love any advice anyone would give.

Thank you.

RE: Hydro (M Blastoise EX / Dusknoir)

Iceman26 said:
Also I tried to attach at least one energy every turn. I have not been able to fully use the squirtle-blastoise line to the best of its ability, I usually never get to set it up.

Yeah you're probably not going to be able to set up Blastoise consistently with just a 1-1-1 line. I'd say you would need at least 3-1-3 in order to be consistent. Blastoise seems more important to your strategy than Dusnoir, so I'd think about swapping your Blastoise and Dusknoir lines or maybe even replacing Dusknoir completely.

Mora said:
Iceman26 said:
Also I tried to attach at least one energy every turn. I have not been able to fully use the squirtle-blastoise line to the best of its ability, I usually never get to set it up.

Yeah you're probably not going to be able to set up Blastoise consistently with just a 1-1-1 line. I'd say you would need at least 3-1-3 in order to be consistent. Blastoise seems more important to your strategy than Dusnoir, so I'd think about swapping your Blastoise and Dusknoir lines or maybe even replacing Dusknoir completely.

Thank you for the reply, do you think it would be a good idea to swap the Blastoise and Dusknoir lines and then replace the Dusknoir line with some more energy?

Iceman26 said:
Thank you for the reply, do you think it would be a good idea to swap the Blastoise and Dusknoir lines and then replace the Dusknoir line with some more energy?

I like the idea of playing Dusknoir in here, but the only problem is I'm not exactly sure how to go about fitting it in the deck. With Blastoise, you're putting 180 damage on the board, but not on one Pokemon. With Dusknoir, you can move that damage around to OHKO EX's and take out threats on the Bench. Why don't we try this for now:

-1 Blastoise EX; (Four feels redundant. Three should be plenty.)
-1 Dusknoir
-1 Dusklops
-1 Duskull
+2 Blastoise
+2 Squirtle

That way you still have Dusknoir, but you have a more consistent Blastoise line. Now regarding the Energy, I believe most Blastoise variants played a few more. I would try finding room for two more at first. Things you might consider replacing with Energy would be Jirachi EX, Suicune, Sacred Ash, Evosoda, one Escape Rope, maybe one Professor's Letter.

Hope this helps!

I just made this deck recently. I would suggest keldeo ex and some float stones. This way you can make use of Blastoise exs rapid spin or w/e its called, and switch into suicune. Then next turn retreat with float stone back into blastoise.

I played with Blastoise a lot and I can say it is pretty hard and slow to get both Blastoise and Dusknoir ready. Add to that the fact that your main attacker is a Mega and you have yourself an extremely slow deck that suffers against Garbordor and item lock, which are pretty much the top of the meta game nowadays, right next to VirGen, which consists in a instant loss for this deck.

Also, one of the best ways to abuse Blastoise's Ability is Keldeo EX, which also provide you for alternatives to Switch and Retreating.

But if you insist on running this, Mora gave you nice tips for consistency. I myself would remove the Muscle Bands (you won't be needing those) and the 1 Switch (which is a low count for Switch in any deck that could benefit from it) and add 2 Keldeo EX and 2 Float Stones.

Also, playing Blastoise for its ability and running MBlastoise EX as main attacker, 10 energy wouldn't cut if played with only one Energy Retrieval. I suggest swap the common Retrieval for a Superior and finding a way to get about 3 of them into it.

Blastoise based decks run better when you have great control of when you get energy in your hand. Superior Retrieval give you this, you can Sycamore out an hand full of energy just to retrieve it when you need it. This way, you have a bigger chance to draw something useful and only go for your energies in the turn you intend to attack.

This reasoning, actually, allowed me to run a Ballista deck with 2[L] and 8[W], which would sound low when your main attacker uses [L][W][W][C] and has to discard 3 energies, bur worked flawlessly, after you get used to distribute your energy around your pokemon and the discard pile.

I dont think you need superior energy retrievals. This blastoise deck doesnt discard energy like Black Ballista. So it doesnt need to get 4 energy every turn. Just regular energy retrievals are just fine. maybe like 2/3 energy retrievals and 2 professor's letter can make this deck work right.

I played this deck and all of my energy is commonly on my pokemon so i didnt even need to use blastoise after one or 2 turns of dropping energy. Blastoise is mostly just to stack energy on a new pokemon quickly and recover from knock outs. It also works as you pyroar counter, but it takes alot of energy.

Thank you all for your great suggestions I will try and implement what I can and see how it works.

Back