OU: Strategy How Will New OR / AS Mega Pokemon Affect the Metagame?

CuriousCleffa

Aspiring Trainer
I know we've got the new Mega starters, and Audino and Slowbro, but how do you guys think the megas will affect the VGC/OU metagame? I know Mega Kanga and Mega Lucario were used a lot, but what do you guys think?
I'm new to competitive battling, so sorry if this question doesn't make sense >.<

I made some changes to allow more discussion.
Discuss how the new Megas will affect the VGC/OU metagame!
Feel free to speculate, but stay within reason when discussing currently unknown stats.
-KoN

I could definitely see Mega Slowbro being used in VGC play. With Shell Armor as its ability, it won't have to worry about crits. If you also factor in that regular Slowbro has quite high defense already, it makes a nice wall. With its design, I expect Special Defense to also increase so it could actually wall Scarf Salamence and Garchomp. It has the potential to immediately threaten dragons with Ice Beam since it actually has usable Special Attack.

I do not see Mega Audino ever becoming meta in VGC format. It can only function as support, but its just outclassed.

Hi everyone this is my first post here . These two megas would be great in vgc 15 because they will bring trick room back , because of there bulk and slowbro ability before evolution will make it immune to taunt

King Arceus said:
I could definitely see Mega Slowbro being used in VGC play. With Shell Armor as its ability, it won't have to worry about crits. If you also factor in that regular Slowbro has quite high defense already, it makes a nice wall. With its design, I expect Special Defense to also increase so it could actually wall Scarf Salamence and Garchomp. It has the potential to immediately threaten dragons with Ice Beam since it actually has usable Special Attack.

I do not see Mega Audino ever becoming meta in VGC format. It can only function as support, but its just outclassed.

I agree. Mega Slowbro would be a balanced wall, with both SDef and Def.
Starters aren't generally used in OU, but mega blaziken is in uber (i think) so mega sceptile and swampers should at least be OU. mega sceptile will be a fast sweeper probably, but will be rather frail. swampert could be relatively balanced, but i see it being slightly more focused on attack and defense than the special versions.

When M-Salamence comes. I won't be suprised if it gets put in Ubers.

Already with a 125 in Attack, which may be boosted into the 140+ range when mega evolving. Plus Aerilate. Like it's gonna hit alot of mons pretty hard.

DdogTheKing said:
When M-Salamence comes. I won't be suprised if it gets put in Ubers.

Already with a 125 in Attack, which may be boosted into the 140+ range when mega evolving. Plus Aerilate. Like it's gonna hit alot of mons pretty hard.

Still, anything is possible cause they only told us that M Salamence gets a boost in DEF iirc.
wait:
Pokemon.com said:
When it Mega Evolves, its Defense stat soars. With its already high stats climbing even higher, this becomes an even more promising Pokémon than before

Yeah I guess its welcome to Ubers situation.

I think one new Mega Pokemon fron the new ORAS games is particularly interesting. Mega Sceptile
The perfect counter of Rotom-W ever!
M Sceptile can shoot SE grass special attacks and destroy Rotom-W which not only its both STABs are double resisted/fully blocked by M Sceptile but also it cannot escape with Volt Switch and Mega Sceptile don't mind the burn from possibly WoW because most likely it will be a special attacker.
Even without M Sceptile actually be in the field, Rotom-W will never feel safe to Volt Switch like it did so far.
Edit: Also that whould make the Scizoruturn/Rotom-wvoltswitch core much more powerful as Scizor will be one of the perfect switch into M Sceptile unless its carrying HP Fire. Would also bring Scizor a reason to use Bug Bite again.

So here are the stats of the 2 new Megas in the demo, plus the Mega Starters:

Steel/Ground
Sand Force
HP:75
Atk:125
Def:230
Sp Atk:55
Sp Def: 95
Spd:30
First impression: this thing's stats are reminiscent of Mega Aggrons (could this become the standard set up for huge Steel monsters?), but with slightly more special defence. Sand Force could be interesting in Sand teams.

Ice type
Refrigerate
HP: 80
Atk: 120
Def: 80
Sp Atk: 120
Sp Def: 80
Spd: 100

First impression: obviously built to be a mixed sweeper, but I can't help but think it would prefer to have more speed in order to pull it off effectively. Pure Ice isn't exactly great typing either.

Grass/Dragon
Lightningrod
Hp: 70
Atk: 110
Def: 75
Sp.atk: 145
Sp.def: 85
Spd: 145

First impression: dat speed and special attack. Not sure how well it will do considering its many weaknesses (notably its 4x Ice weakness) and lack of bulk.

Water/Ground
Swift Swim
Hp: 100
Atk: 150
Def: 110
Sp.atk: 95
Sp.Def 110.
Spd: 70

First impression: this thing is going to be a beast in Rain teams. Its attack stat is great, and if it gets Ice Punch through tutors then that makes it all the better. It also has respectable bulk to back it up with.

Steelix is very average, it may work similarly to Mega Aggron... and as we know, Mega Aggron doesn't work too good.

Glalie is absolute trash for a Mega, period.

Sceptile is a glass cannon, but played properly it can be really fearsome.

Swampert is a great bulky attacker with its typing and stats. Rain teams have found their Mega for sure, but it will probably be useful outside the rain as well.

Mega Steelix isn't anything special. Sure it got Sand Force, but there are better options for the Mega slot on a team utilizing SS. Mega Glalie could be interesting, 120 base Atk and Sp. Atk + Refrigerate, and it gets Double Edge, Body Slam, Iron Head, Shadow Ball, Earthquake, lol Ice-type Explosion and Spikes to name a few moves. I just wish it got a better speed boost.

My predictions without knowing all the movepool changes:

Swampert: Top tier OU. All hail the new rain Excadrill. It has pretty solid defenses and maybe Bulk Up so a tank set could be good, too.

Sceptile: Great Speed and SpA makes me think it'll be usable in OU, but competition for other megas and being weak to priority Flying and Ice could possibly keep it from being OU. There's no way this is dropping lower than UU, though.

Sableye: It has pretty solid defenses, an item that can't be removed, only two weaknesses if you count Mega Lopunny, and a great ability to abuse moves like WoW and Taunt before evolving into the only defensive Magic Bounce user. It definitely has potential, but I'm not sure if it's enough to compete with the power creep or justify use over another Mega. UU at worst.

Altaria: It has a great typing/ability and solid stats all around. I think it'll be viable, but it may be too much of a jack-of-all-trades. Probably OU, UU at worst.

Gallade: 165 Attack is nothing to laugh at, especially with decent defenses and a good 110 speed. BL at worst.

Audino: It's better than I had expected, but this thing probably won't be OU. I guess UU at best, RU at worst.

Sharpedo: It has pretty good stats and can Protect the first turn to get a Speed Boost and then Mega and clean up. Maybe OU, BL at worst.

Slowbro: Regular Slowbro is good enough as-is, and now 180 Defense is crazy and 130 Special Attack is good, too. It'll miss Regenerator, but this thing is looking to be the best non-legendary(maybe best all around, but I don't know about any Ubers mons) CM sweeper in existence. OU for sure.

Steelix: It's pretty much a slightly different Aggron and will probably be in the same tier as it. UU at best, RU at worst unless I'm missing something and its Curse+Gyro Ball+Sandstorm+EQ is somehow good enough to get it a BL.

Pidgeot: I can see it in OU, but it may be let down by a lack of coverage. UU at worst. It's a shame it didn't get Sing. The standard set will probably be U-Turn+Hurricane+Heat Wave+ HP Ground/Fighting for OU, Water/Grass for UU in case Rhyperior comes up to counter it.

Glaile: Despite having good mixed attacking stats, solid speed, a nice boosting ability, and Spikes, its typing and the fact that 100 speed isn't what it used to be will probably keep it from being OU. It may have a niche as a wall-breaker and I can see it being good in UU. Maybe RU at worst.

Diancie: 160 attacking stats and 110 seem good enough to keep it OU, even though it has a mediocre movepool and is destroyed by Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Metagross: Probably top tier OU.

Camerupt: Probably not OU unless Sheer Force makes it /that/ good of a wall-breaker. I'm thinking RU, but with a chance at UU at best.

Lopunny: It has great Attack and Speed with neutral STAB on everything. It's not even super frail, and can use some cool stuff like Healing Wish, Encore, and Fake Out. I'm thinking OU, maybe BL at worst.

Mega Mence: Ubers without a doubt. This thing is crazy.

Mega Beedrill: Its Attack and Speed are crazy, not to mention Adaptability. It may have lame STAB moves in X-Scissor and Poison Jab, but its stats and ability should make up for it. It dies pretty easily, though so I could see it being held back. I don't think OU is that unreasonable for this minmaxed wasp, but BL is certainly possible and maybe UU.

New Hoopa forme: Dark/Psychic is a pretty mediocre typing and its ability is basically useless. It has great offense stats and a good SpDef, but a 4x weakness to U-Turn, and mediocre Speed and physical bulk will hurt. It'll probably be a solid OU wall-breaker or Scarfer if it can hold one. Really I think regular Hoopa is underrated as a potential Specs/Scarf user, despite dying to Knock Off, but this forme seems like it could be better. The thing gets cool moves like Trick, Destiny Bond, and dual screens, so maybe Reflect can help both formes out.

Swampert is literally a battleship with cannons at every part of its impenetrable hull. It can really give Rain a boost, and is great in that it can't be beaten by Rotom-W. Definitely OU, probably around mid rank since Rain isn't among the best strategies.

Sceptile is something between Mega Manectric and Mega Gardevoir, and I think it will fundamentally function better than both. Paper thin defenses and 4x weakness to Ice as well as Flying priority don't help, but otherwise it has potential. Probably low OU.

Sableye has a niche in being a potent wall that cannot be crippled by the common Taunt+Will-O'-Wisp combo. Loss of Prankster hurts though. UU probably.

Altaria is too... average. It's like a boosted Kingdra. Good typing, about the same number in every stat, although it's slower, bulkier and stronger. However, 110 in offenses isn't exactly sky-high. I could see it being a more defensive Pokemon, since it can use its great typing to its best. Low-mid OU, I guess.

Gallade rocks, and 165 Attack along with 110 Speed and not too shabby bulk make it a very potent threat. Having its butt kicked by Talonflame and Pinsir isn't nice, but it can still outspeed Pinsir and slower variants of Talonflame with Shadow Sneak and overall hit like a truck. Mid-high OU.

Audino is just completely outclassed by Sableye and Altaria as a defensive threat... it could function as a cleric, but I think it's really a waste of your Mega slot if you do that. BL2 is quite possible.

Sharpedo is strong, and fast. Speed Boost in vanilla also is helpful. I'd say mid OU, mostly because it's just so fragile.

Slowbro is an amazing physical defender, and Calm Mind can really make it extremely threatening. High OU.

Steelix is somewhat similar, but it doesn't have a way to boost its Special Defense. 95 isn't all that bad though. However, as a Sand team Mega, it is probably outclassed by Garchomp. BL, or UU.

Pidgeot has a number of drawbacks that can hold it back, namely low defenses, lack of coverage and No Guard being a double-edged sword. It will most probably be UU.

Glalie could function as a mixed attacker, but pure Ice is never good, and it's probably outclassed by other mixed attackers, especially considering it takes up your Mega slot. UU.

Diancie has a fear of Steel, and bad coverage. Apart from that, though, it's downright amazing. The two former may hold it back from being a top OU threat, but I can definitely see it in mid OU.

Metagross is also great, while not having Diancie's problems. High OU.

Hoopa is still slow, and its typing is bad, however its offenses are amazing and its special bulk is great. Maybe low OU, or BL. UU is probably too weak for it.

Camerupt is meh; Sheer Force is great with 145 Special Attack, but it can't hold a Life Orb, has horrible Speed, a horrible Water weakness and weakness to Ground. It does resist Electric, but still. UU probably.

Lopunny is really nice. Strong, fast, perfect coverage. Low or mid OU.

Salamence is gonna kill everything, ressurect them with its godlike powers, then kill everything again. Top of OU, if it doesn't end up getting the boot to Ubers.

Beedrill has amazing Attack in combination with Adaptability and crazy Speed. However, it lacks the moves to abuse them to the most, has horrible defenses, is weak to SR and Spikes... in other words, it can die to a Fighting move. BL, maybe low OU.

I can see why everybody feels like Mega Swampert is an insane beat so I think those old Megas will see higher usage once this thing will get popular:

Mega Venusaur- Resist both of Mega Swampert STABs+ Mega Swampert has a x4 weakness to Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain.

Mega Charizard Y- Shots down its rain support with an immediate sun and can easily revenge kill it with Solar Beam.(or go for double switch just to shot down its rain support and go for another Pokemon that can counter it after the speed drop).

Based on past history Smogon has, I predict Mega Metagross will be among the first to be banned. It has extremely high stats all around.

scattered mind said:
I can see why everybody feels like Mega Swampert is an insane beat so I think those old Megas will see higher usage once this thing will get popular:

Mega Venusaur- Resist both of Mega Swampert STABs+ Mega Swampert has a x4 weakness to Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain.

I hate to be that guy, but Mega Venusaur only resists Swampert's Water STAB. Its secondary Poison type negates the Grass resistance to it.

(also how good would Swampert's Ice Punch do against it? I'm assuming probably less than Earthquake due to Thick Fat, but it would be interesting to see)

His Goominess said:
scattered mind said:

I hate to be that guy, but Mega Venusaur only resists Swampert's Water STAB. Its secondary Poison type negates the Grass resistance to it.

(also how good would Swampert's Ice Punch do against it? I'm assuming probably less than Earthquake due to Thick Fat, but it would be interesting to see)

My bad.
Even so Ice punch or EQ MVenu still can restore its health with giga drain plus put a lot of damage on M Swampert so it is still a good counter fot him

King Arceus said:
Based on past history Smogon has, I predict Mega Metagross will be among the first to be banned. It has extremely high stats all around.

It still has serious 4MSS, two of the worst STABs in the game, and no attack boosting moves outside of Hone Claws. Meteor Mash was even lowered to 90 base power this gen.

scattered mind said:
His Goominess said:

My bad.
Even so Ice punch or EQ MVenu still can restore its health with giga drain plus put a lot of damage on M Swampert so it is still a good counter fot him

Yeah, I don't think Venusaur will get too scared by anything Swampert has to offer.

Anything that can successfully Will-O-Wisp Swampert would be a good thing as well. (was about to say Trevenant cos Grass type but remembered Ice Punch...)

Ferro checks M-swampert pretty well.

252+ Atk Swampert Power-Up Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 72-86 (20.4 - 24.4%) -- possible 6HKO
+
+1 252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 201-237 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 540-636 (158.3 - 186.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO as long as it doesn't miss.

Mega sceptile I think might become slightly overcentralizing, I'm running scarf latios just for it and M-beedrill. Nothing can really check it.. hidden power fire+giga drain+dragon pulse+EQ/focus blast gives it perfect covage being able to nail any switch in (and +1 from lightning rod)

Combine that with 145 base speed makes any nonscarf greninjas and latis look slow.

Physically mixed sets with SD seem possible making even the pink blobs checks. The only thing that may counter it would be M-venusuar (which if every team needs to run one, would count as overcentralization) being able to tank any hit from it.

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 86-102 (23.6 - 28%) -- 86.8% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 122-144 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Sure bird spam and ice priority can ruin it, but if I learned anything from aegislash who rarely ran head smash for mandibuzz.. if it has the coverage move options whether it's gimmicky or not, it's still consituing hard to check. (Rock slide for talonflame switch ins)

Max attack Mega Swampert 2HKO's max physically defensive Ferrothorn with Superpower, though.

Cinesra said:
Max attack Mega Swampert 2HKO's max physically defensive Ferrothorn with Superpower, though.

Oh I forgot he gets that.

But remember your attack gets lowered so he's still scared out by powerwhip..

First hit
252+ Atk Swampert Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 192-226 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Second hit (Remember you'll have leftovers to work with the highest damage roll)
-1 252+ Atk Swampert Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 128-152 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- 97.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Total combined damage is 90.8 - 107.3% not including leftovers recovery+protect stalling.

and in the event of EQing the switch in first..

252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 118-141 (33.5 - 40%) -- 28.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+
Superpower
88 - 104.2% which is even less.

As long as accuracy isn't messing up you, leech seed stalling or a flat out powerwhip can finish the job.

But it's safe to say absolutely nothing counters.. M-saur might be the best check overall.

Also when were drizzle swim teams aloud? I'm seeing drizzle swim teams all over oras ou..

Back