How to Play the Most Well-Rounded Deck — Giratina VSTAR

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
As this Standard format draws to a close, we still have about a month left until rotation. I’ve been playing some Giratina VSTAR lately and I wanted to discuss it one last time, at least before rotation.
Giratina VSTAR has consistently been a Top 3 deck in the Paradox Rift format. It is known for having an array of matchups that are neither good nor bad — Giratina has a decent shot at beating just about anything. Unfortunately, the inverse is also true, as it has very few slam-dunk matchups. Giratina is a well-rounded and anti-nonsense deck. It is difficult to counter, and has ways to deal with just about any situation. It has the potential to be aggressive and fast if it draws well, but is even better known for its comeback potential. Giratina has massive damage output, lots of skill expression, disruption, and different attackers. Its consistency isn’t the greatest, but at least most of the...

Continue reading...

Giratina’s well rounded until you top deck a tina v and all your switching and disruption cards for the first 4 turns.

I have been playing Tina a lot lately and I just seem more often than not ending up with a hand full of energy and praying to get Iono'd. It is a very tricky deck to get you head around with different matchups but it does feel really nice to play when it draws well.

In my opinion is the most versatile deck, very strong and disruptive, and there is no autolosses, you can win even bad matchups, but it requires a lot of thinking (sequencing, resources management, prize count, lost count) and resilience for major tournaments.

In my opinion is the most versatile deck, very strong and disruptive, and there is no autolosses, you can win even bad matchups, but it requires a lot of thinking (sequencing, resources management, prize count, lost count) and resilience for major tournaments.
The recent manaphyless builds actually auto loses to one particular chien pao line. T2 iron hands into a followup or late game greninja play. Sure you can only play one comfey, but eventually you're going to want to use sableye, which is when you're prone to being greninja'd.

Still quite difficult to pull off for the chien pao because you can't start chien pao and have it get punched by cram.

The recent manaphyless builds actually auto loses to one particular chien pao line. T2 iron hands into a followup or late game greninja play. Sure you can only play one comfey, but eventually you're going to want to use sableye, which is when you're prone to being greninja'd.

Still quite difficult to pull off for the chien pao because you can't start chien pao and have it get punched by cram.
This sounds like several specific and circumstantial scenarios, which, if anything, guarantee a certain advantage for the chien-pao ex, but it is not the same thing as autoloss. Autoloss means there is almost no way to win against a deck's basic strategy. Thats a bad matchup situation, not an autoloss. Tina's player can use a comfey+abyss seeking and prepare 3 Giratina Vstar, and after turn 3 just use Boss and disruption+Path, it doesn't guarantee victory, but it is certainly a way.

I think that playing a well-rounded deck like Giratina VSTAR requires a mix of strategy, versatility, and adaptability. I love to play Giratina VSTAR and after playing quite a lot, I seriously mastered the game and today I am sharing a quick guide on how to play it and master it in a very easy way:

1. Understand Your Deck: Just Know every card in your deck, their abilities, weaknesses, and strengths. Giratina VSTAR decks usually focus on disruption and control, so familiarize yourself with cards that disrupt your opponent’s strategies.

2. Setup Strategy: Giratina VSTAR decks often rely on disrupting your opponent's setup while building your own. Use Trainer cards like Quick Ball, Professor's Research, and Evolution Incense to get Giratina V and its evolutions into play quickly.

3. Utilize Giratina VSTAR’s Abilities: Giratina VSTAR has a powerful ability, "Renegade Pulse," which prevents all effects of attacks, including damage, done to it by your opponent’s Pokémon VMAX. Use this ability strategically to protect Giratina VSTAR while applying pressure on your opponent.

4. **Energy Management**: Ensure you have enough Psychic Energy in your deck to power up Giratina VSTAR’s attacks. Use Energy acceleration cards like Energy Spinner or Turbo Patch to accelerate energy attachment.

5. Disruption Tactics: Giratina VSTAR decks excel at disrupting your opponent's strategy. Use cards like Marnie, Boss's Orders, or Reset Stamp to disrupt their hand or board state. Cards like Crushing Hammer or Team Yell Grunt can also disrupt their energy attachments.

6. Consistency is Key: Include cards like Professor's Research, Marnie, and Quick Ball to maintain consistency and ensure you have the cards you need when you need them.

7. Backup Plan: Have a backup plan in case Giratina VSTAR is knocked out or unable to perform. Include other Pokémon or tech cards in your deck that can handle different matchups effectively.

8. Adaptability: Adjust your strategy based on your opponent's deck and play style. Giratina VSTAR decks are versatile and can adapt to various situations, so be prepared to switch tactics as needed.

9. Practice: Practice with your deck to understand its strengths and weaknesses better. Playtest against different decks to learn how to effectively pilot Giratina VSTAR in various matchups.

10. Continuous Learning: Keep up with the Pokémon TCG meta and learn from other players. Watch matches, read articles, and participate in tournaments to improve your skills with Giratina VSTAR and stay competitive.

Remember, mastering Giratina VSTAR or any deck takes time and practice. Experiment with different strategies, tweak your deck based on your experiences, and have fun while playing!

Back