Help How to play against Mew Genesect with a Rapid Strike Malamar?

izayoi9300

Aspiring Trainer
Out of all the current meta decks, Mew Genesect is the one I'm struggling against since I can't use my usual strategy which is taking around 2 turns to KO a Pokémon VMAX or VSTAR given that Mew VMAX could simply bounce itself back to the deck. Another threat to consider is Meloetta which can KO my Pokémon as early as the opponent's turn 1.

professsorpoke

NO 3 S's is not a typo
In my testing, matchup is pretty unwinnable for Malamar if the Mew player knows what they are doing, but watching resources (Switch outs and energy, mainly) can help you find a win out, and Playing a Boss's Orders or Escape Rope helps the matchup too.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Malamar was made to lo live in the Mew meta. Very much winnable. You have to OHKO - very possible - or boss the regular Mew V if you play boss. (Source: I played this matchup against my son extensively back when Malamar was playable before Arceus).

If mew player puts out Meloetta you’re a happy camper as that means you need only one OHKO plus a single Genesect/Mew V boss. Mew has no trouble OHKOing you without Meloetta; that card is intended for the Arceus or Palkia matches where 280 is important, or the mirror.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Generally speaking, Mew has difficulties with Darkness-type Pokémon and a combination of hand disruption and Ability lock, like Marnie or Roxanne + Path to the Peak. If they draw out of the lock then God bless em but usually that's the route players will take to win against Mew.

Maximus

Aspiring Trainer
Unfortunately Mew is not a good matchup for most single prizers because of psychic leap, I would recommend targeting Genesects for KOs as they can't psychic leap and it helps remove some of the opponents support, however malamar tends to not run many Boss's orders or Escape rope so it can be tough.

SirEnter

Aspiring Trainer
I found the best way for myself to counter Mew is by continually using the boss's orders to one's advantage and using escape rope while having some backup Pokemon on the bench. When doing this I would be sure that you have a lot of pressure. I would take advantage of the level ball, the quick ball, and even the great ball. Really just try to use as many Item cards as you can in order to get as many rapid-strike Pokemon as you can to build an offense. As long as you have backup Malamar and Boss's orders I am sure the match up can be won.