How to Get to Worlds?

josie0001

The Daddiest Dad Ever
After watching Mega Audino win it all last week on stream, my daughter and I made it our goal for the upcoming season to try and earn our invites to Worlds, her in the Juniors division and me in Masters. However, as a complete newb to the world of Pokemon (I was pretty deep into high school when the games were first released) - and to TCGs in general (her and I have only been playing since February) - I'm honestly not entirely sure how to proceed.

Mainly, I'm confused about the point structure. Like, for instance, how many points are up for grabs at a Regional Championship versus a State Championship, or at a League Challenge versus a Pre-Release Tournament? If I were to pick and choose, which event(s) would (potentially, of course) put us in the best position to earn the most possible points? We live in a very rural area, so pretty much every event, outside of casual (read: unsanctioned) tournaments at our local card shop, are a 4-5 hour drive away, so getting the most "bang for our buck," so to speak, is of the utmost importance.

Speaking of points, how many are needed to earn an invite to Nationals? What about Worlds? Is there a specific number, like a set-in-stone threshold we'd have to hit every year, or do the requirements fluctuate from season to season? And what about these travel vouchers I keep hearing about - how many points are needed to get in on that sweet action? As you can see by now, I'm pretty much lost.

Now I vaguely understand there's some kind of restructuring taking place, with the transition from Nationals to Continentals, etc. etc. etc. which complicates this whole process even more, especially for someone like me with absolutely no frame of reference, so maybe there are no good or easy answers to any of these questions right now - BUT, all that said, any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much!

this is subject to change as the new season is listing a bunch of changes, first think to know is Championship Points (CP) and Play Points (PP), PP are earned at any sanctioned tournament and attending league, CP are earned only at premier level tournaments.

this breaks down how many CP each event gives and for what place, this was last updated a year ago and should be updated to the new structure some time in September.

here is last years CP needed to qualify for Worlds these numbers should also be updated in September.

in past years only Worlds required CP, Nationals required PP, though High ranking in lower events can earn you travel rewards and first round byes for the higher events.

Ah, gotcha! I wasn't able to find these breakdowns before, so that was extremely helpful, but as the new season is only in its infancy, there hasn't been an announcement about required point breakdowns yet. So I'm just jumping the gun a bit. Which is typical of me actually. Thanks!!!

Ah, gotcha! I wasn't able to find these breakdowns before, so that was extremely helpful, but as the new season is only in its infancy, there hasn't been an announcement about required point breakdowns yet. So I'm just jumping the gun a bit. Which is typical of me actually. Thanks!!!
I am in the same boat as you! My son (Juniors) and I are starting on the path of a Worlds invite as well. Good luck to you and your daughter!!!

Thanks for the breakdown treyh37, I needed those as well. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, they will announce the changes. Looking forward to the 2016/17 season!

I am in the same boat as you! My son (Juniors) and I are starting on the path of a Worlds invite as well. Good luck to you and your daughter!!!!

Awesome! Last night her and I were already discussing what Expanded Decks we were going to play for Regionals in November, so I think we'll be prepared on that front. Best of luck this season! :)

Nats and Worlds requirements have not been posted for this season yet
Yet usually Nats requires 5-15 play points and worlds 200 ish championship points

You get play points bu showing up to leagues and events
you get championship points by doing well at tournaments

Back