Help How to Build Draft Decks?

Capablanca

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, everyone!

There recently was an article on how to build 60-cards deck http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/04/can-we-build-it-yes-we-can

But what about pre-release drafts - when you open 6 boosters and build 40 cards deck?
Are there any recommendations, like
6 Treiner cards max
10 Items max
13 energy max
and 5 pokemon max
Or anything like that?

Recommendations / suggestions?
Would like to know your opinion!

I think as far as draft decks are concerned, you want to have a lot of card draw, and since a lot of your good draw is filed as uncommon cards, it'll be hard to find a lot of it, so get as much of it as you can get. Cards that make you discard from the hand like Ultra Ball also lose a lot of value since it's so hard to refill the hand (no easy way to find draw support), so while it's still a decent card, it's not of extreme importance.

Draft decks are going to be more slanted towards luck than skill by nature. You won't always be able build a deck out of the things you need. You just have to do the best that you can with what you've got. You won't always get the 5 Pokemon you'd like to run something the way you want -same with other cards. This is why pre-releases are in this format and how an inexperienced player can make top place in one. Just the luck of the draw so to speak.

@Sabaku @PokeMedic ok guys, so you mean there cant be any recommendation on how to balance deck in term type\quantity of cards.
I just need to do situational choices?
But can draft deck also look more like Theme Deck in terms of included cards? I just thought they might have many in common...

recommendation

We can give general advice like it were any other deck, but you're going to be limited by the nature of the draft format as to what you can get your hands on. It all depends on the set or sets you're playing a draft format from. It could look like a theme deck, but you're still going to be incomplete in normal functionality. Theme decks have cards of different rarity included in them and whose to say if you'll pull the same rarity of cards in your draft packs.

And with this card game, you hardly ever get what you want in a draft with such a small pool of cards, so it's better to take what's needed (especially card draw/deck trimming cards) and build a deck that is generally prepared. Trying to build for a synergy-based deck will normally get you blasted due to many missing pieces.

When you draft, focus on getting a lot of search and draw since it's so rare, and try to find consistent attackers that can stand on their own.

I haven't been able to participate in a Pre-Release (or similar Limited Format event) in almost 10 years, so take this advice with a large grain of salt. The biggest issue is the introduction of the "Evolution" Pack; last I knew this was still a "thing", and it should make it much easier to build a coherent deck.

Apart from that, remember that it is four prizes and 40 cards, so once four Pokémon are down you're done, 10 Energy is a fourth of your deck instead of a sixth (but Energy requirements may mean you'll run a higher percentage of Energy than usual), etc. Draw power is usually at a premium, as are search effects (unless too narrow in scope). You can have too many of these things, but it is unlikely. Retreating becomes more important, as your opponent cannot easily force something from the Bench back into the Active position. Special Conditions become more important because shaking them is much more difficult. Colorless attacks become more important because even though you'll probably run two basic Energy Types (possibly even three or four!) they're just easier to fill. Recycling effects matter more because they give you a second chance with something you probably have very few copies of in your deck. Big basics become even better here because Evolutions are likely scarce. Plentiful Evolutions - stuff that is normally filler - can be might here because quantity sometimes equals quality. Off-Type splashes are often important because most decks cannot deal with Weakness exploitation, and even Resistance is more likely to matter here (depending on the set).

Oh, and be wary of +39 decks, sometimes called Mulligan Decks. It is a legitimate strategy for a pre-release, even though some folks seem to think it was invented just a few sets ago. XP If you pull a really great Basic Pokémon, or a Basic and Evolution(s) where the former can search out the latter, as long as said Basic has enough HP to last you can build your entire deck around it. Having just it ensures you open with it, even if your opponent gets a massive amount of mulligan draws. Make sure that the deck is mostly Energy; you must have at least one in hand to keep powering up your Active ASAP. With an opening hand of seven (+1 for drawing, -1 for your Active), that means you only have room for six Trainers. You can risk more if some of them are search or draw, but be careful.

Addendum: Sorry to be so messy about it, but just as I was rushing when I wrote the above text, I need to quickly add circumstances specific to a particular expansion can make certain cards important even if you can barely make use of them. The best example is Stadium cards; while you would obviously include one that benefits you or hurts your opponent, one that is functionally neutral or even less detrimental to you than beneficial to your opponent can be a game-changer.

Last edited:
Back