How I Decided That Reuniclus is not for Me: 2-3 at Santa Clara City Championships

blargh257

IT'S BEEN THREE THOUSAND YEARS
So, here is my report from Santa Clara Cities.

Pre-tournament i made the final preperations at home and was able to relax and play Smash Bros. until about 9:30. we then drove to Santa Clara.

I was playing GRaPES, which is Gothitelle with several techs, most of which turned out to have a negative effect.

Here is the decklist.

1 Jirachi UL
1 Shaymin UL
1 Cleffa HS
1 Reshiram Box Promo
1 Voltorb TM
1 Electrode TM
1 Sewaddle EP 4
1 Leavanny NV
1 Zekrom BW
2 Pichu HS
4 Gothita EP 43
1 Gothorita EP 46
3 Gothitelle EP 47
2 Solosis BW
1 Duosion BW
2 Reuniclus BW

2 Junk Arm
2 Pokemon Catcher
3 Sage's Training
3 Pokemon Collector
4 Twins
1 Tropical Beach
4 Rare Candy
2 Max Potion
3 Pokemon Communication

12 {P}

I went into the tournament fairly confident about my deck choice and expecting to win at least three games.

Anyway, I get there, talk with Leo Sha, possibly the best ZPST player in the area, while in the registration line about various things (mostly Pokemon though), and get my deck registered.

After doing so I meet up with Meaty and Jirachinick and play a game against Meaty. He isn't in my division, but he was running Cobalion/Kyurem. I got owned by a four prize T3 Glaciate at one point.

Eventually we hear:
27 seniors
5 rounds
T4

A short while later pairings go up.

Round 1: blargh257 with GRaPES vs Zoe T. with Reshiram/Emboar/Tornadus.
I set up fairly well and do a little tanking, but I can't really start operating until I am able to one shot the Reshiram that she has down with Rocky Helmet on it. Not much energy is drawn by either player starting from about turn 5, so I have to rely on the Burned Tower she has in play. She can get energy from Burned Tower, but she can't use it with Emboar, because I sniped (with Pokemon Catcher) both her Tepigs early. Eventually I get enough to KO the Rocky Helmet Reshiram and sweep from there.
1-0

Round 2: blargh257 with GRaPES vs Leo Sha with ZPST
I did NOT want to play against Leo, because he's good and I was afraid I'd get donked. But I still was a bit happy, because I have a good matchup against ZekDus. I get a lone Zekrom start, while he gets 3 Zekrom and 2 Tornadus (via Pokemon Collector.) I have no supporter going into turn 4, and I topdeck TWINS which was terrible. I let him get set up, have nothing to do, and get 6-0 swept.
1-1

LUNCH
I go to McDonald's, but since our game was so quick, the only person to talk to was Leo.

Round 3: blargh257 with GRaPES vs Leo Orozco with Stage Ones
I get a quick Gothitelle, while he gets a quick four stage ones. The instant I take my Gothitelle out of action for a moment, he Catcher snipes my only Duosion. No matter, I can just Rare Candy my benched Solosis. But when I play Twins, I find that three Rare Candys are in the discard, two Junk Arms are in the discard, and a Rare Candy is prized. I scoop a few turns later.
1-2

Round 4: blargh257 with GRaPES vs Andrew B. with TyRam
I quickly get all the basics I need to win, then formulate a strategy. I will use Electrode to go behind so I can Twins for Rare Candy and Reuniclus. However, when I use Electrode, I SEE BOTH MY REUNICLUS AND NO ENERGY. I scoop almost instantly.
1-3

Round 5: blargh257 with GRaPES vs Trevor S. with Leafrade
He actually gets set up around the same time I do. I find out why I need Switch- Roserade is annoying. The special conditions bug me so much that at one point I KO my own Gothitelle ("Are you feeling all right?" was the reaction) and recover with Jirachi and Shaymin just to get special conditions off. I do end up winning, thank goodness.
2-3

Afterwards I do some trading. Only notable one is this:

Meaty gives me:
Thundurus
Durant
Bouffalant x2
some other material that I can't remember

I give Meaty:
Pokemon Collector RH
French Tropical Beach

So, I had fun, but I was really frustrated with some of my games, and I will NOT be playing Gothitelle for my other Cities.

You're deck needs some major tightening. Remove a bunch of the useless techs (Trode, Leavanny, especially). Focus on trainer line and don't stop. Once goth goes active, you can take the win from there regardless of how many energies it has on it. Never EVER retreat gothitelle unless it is for another gothitelle. Hope you learned from these games. Don't give up on Gothitelle... just get a better list for it. :) It is a fairly poor play in this format, but the fact that you lost some nearly unlosable matchups for gothitelle (primarily Stage 1) tells me your list is very bad. Don't give up hope :)

Leavanny is amazing in mirror, but I agree with the rest of that post.

In round three, you should have checked your discard before putting Gothitelle out of the active, and you probably shouldn't have used one of those Junk Arms after you saw the Rare Candy was prized. That could have saved you the loss.

In round 4, I probably wouldn't have blown up Electrode. He would have taken a prize soon enough, and that discard is obviously deadly. Especially in a deck like Gothitelle.

The only Goth techs that work are Serperior, Blissey, and Electrode. Overteching was the biggest mistake.

And waaah? No DCE? That's what makes the deck decent.

I do agree with Zero and Celebi though. Goth is fun when you play a good list.

Goth decks in Masters didnt do well in the Santa Clara championship as well (Santa Clara is the biggest Cities in Northern California). There was diversity in the Masters' Top Cut though: ZPST, Reshiplosion, Chandelure-plume, Durant, ZPST-Eel, CAKE, Six Corners and another Eel variant. Masters was six rounds with a top cut of 8. ZPST-Eel won the day.

The above responses are why i switched to eelektrik toolbox (and also because electrode hates me.)
So Zekrom Eel won Masters? I thought (like everyone else) that normal ZPST would be better.

blargh257 said:
play a game against Meaty. He isn't in my division, but he was running Cobalion/Kyurem. I got owned by a four prize T3 T2 Glaciate at one point.

Fixed. :p

I'm sorry you didn't do very well, but honestly it was an awful day for me as well. (2-4...) I still can't believe I managed to lose to 3 Zekrom decks, when I always beat it in testing. I also can't believe I lost my win on round 2 from a misplay, and that I whiffed Electrode round 3 and lost because I needed ONE energy.

Zekrom/Eel definitely is huge around here, so I expect fighting decks to do rather well in this format. The meta is more diverse than it was before Noble Victories, but it seems that a Reshiram-dominated format only turned into a Zekrom-dominated format.

And by the way, that other card I traded you was a DCL bottom.

Meaty said:

I'm sorry you didn't do very well, but honestly it was an awful day for me as well. (2-4...) I still can't believe I managed to lose to 3 Zekrom decks, when I always beat it in testing. I also can't believe I lost my win on round 2 from a misplay, and that I whiffed Electrode round 3 and lost because I needed ONE energy.

Zekrom/Eel definitely is huge around here, so I expect fighting decks to do rather well in this format. The meta is more diverse than it was before Noble Victories, but it seems that a Reshiram-dominated format only turned into a Zekrom-dominated format.

And by the way, that other card I traded you was a DCL top.

fixed in turn. i checked my binder.

when i post my eelzone list everyone's probably going to say i under teched and concentrated too much on the basics because i usually get that kind of response.

Oh yeah my bad. Oh and there was also a promo Emboar, I remembered. But anyway, I'll see you at Castro.

Meaty said:

And by the way, that other card I traded you was a DCL bottom.

most of the times the game is decided by a bad hand. tell me about it i had bad hands all throughout the tournament.

i was 3-3 with a reshiboar deck. it was a bad day for reshiram decks. i shouldnt have changed my reshiboar build which earned me 4-1 in modesto. i ended up brinignig a less consistent reshiboar build. i was expecting a ton of trainer lock decks and instead faced a plethora of eel decks. two of my losses were eel decks.

at top cut i was rooting for durant to win but the champion beat durant in top 4 and beat chandelure-plume in top 2.

however i still felt like a winner after cities because i was able to trade for three pokemon center japan deckboxes (hopefully you guys didnt miss out on this opportunity). if you did well that nice gentleman is going to castro valley cities to bring his pokemon center goods for trade in exchange for some of your select cards.

im not sure if im going to castro valley but to anyone who is going have fun!!!

If you do go to Castro Valley, remember to say hi to me. I'm a master with short brown hair, about 5'4 and you should spot my Frost Rotom mat, it's pretty recognizable. Oh and "that nice man" is a good friend of mine from my league haha I trade with him all the time.

Meaty said:
If you do go to Castro Valley, remember to say hi to me. I'm a master with short brown hair, about 5'4 and you should spot my Frost Rotom mat, it's pretty recognizable. Oh and "that nice man" is a good friend of mine from my league haha I trade with him all the time.

i think i watched one of your games. you were against an eel deck. he catchered one of your low hp pokemons and it was gg. i believe prior to the catcher you had a fully powered kyurem up front.

blargh257 said:
Please don't play CaKE again Meaty...

well one of the top 8 was a Cake deck.

but now with all those eel decks its probaby time to use TAKE ( Terrakion Kyurem
electrode Prime).

Oh I think I know who you are now, since you were there watching my incredibly stupid game-costing misplay against Justin.

Back