How Do You Build a Trainer Line for a Deck?

The first thing I do is think of 1-2 main Pokemon I want to base my deck off of. I then try and figure out if there are any Pokemon that can support them. The next thing I do is come up with a rough idea for how many energy I need for the deck to work. Trainers it is easiest to start with supporters. Professor Sycamore is seen in many decks because you are able to draw seven new cards at the expense of discarding your hand. VS Seeker is helpful in many decks because of being able to retrieve supporters. Once you get your main supporters of the way, write down all items, stadium, and tools that you think would be beneficial to the deck, even if it gets you to more than 60 cards. From there, figure out which ones are the most important and which can be cut until you get down to 60. Don't be afraid to change your count of Pokemon or energy before finishing a list for the first time.

Each deck has different requirements. There isn't a magic formula that works for every deck and to perform the best, you need to build the line specific for that deck. Practice with the deck online before going out and buying cards you need to do it so you can potentially save yourself expensive cards that don't work as well as you thought they would. While practicing keep track of what things are working and which are not. Are you starting with a preferred starting Pokemon often enough or do you keep getting stuck with Shaymin EX as your starter? Do you often find yourself having either an energy drought or supporter drought?

Another key to performing well is actually knowing how to play your deck. You could be given the best list in the world, but if you don't know how the deck works, you aren't necessarily going to do well with it. This comes with experience for each deck you build. The more practice you get in, the better you will become.

Finally, if you are interested in taking your game to the highest level, I'd suggest giving the Article Program a try. The writers do an amazing job on their articles and will help critique deck lists you come up with. While I primarily judge tcg events, I still enjoy and learn from these articles.

It's not that I don't want to analyze a deck, it's just that I want the deckbuilding process (especially the Trainer line!) broken down into something digestible and easy to understand. And for me that means a template, raw numbers, something I can plug and play with. Something to take most of the guesswork out of building the Trainer line.
I think the best thing would be to try out your above suggestion: find the Pokemon you want to use and a general idea of how much Energy you think you'd need, and then ask the Deck Garage to help fill in the Trainers. Depending on which Pokemon you want to use, the Trainers will be different (sometimes mildly, other times drastically). I don't think a template will help much because there are too many factors; you'd need dozens of different templates. Raw numbers also are going to be hard to come by for the same reason.

If you go the Deck Garage route, don't be afraid to ask why people pick the Trainers they do. :)

Problem is, I feel like I really can't start playtesting unless I have a basis for how to build a good Trainer line. That's what's sticking me. I need someone to teach me how to build good Trainer lines in decks - present it in a way that is simple for me to understand. For me, that involves a good starting point with which to build a Trainer line around so I don't get trapped in a "I need all this and can't let it go, so I run into the problem of overload" problem. So far, I haven't got one.

Like I said, the Deck Garage can help you fill in the Trainer line if you give them the rest of the needed info (Pokemon, proposed energy count, gameplan). After working with them and you've settled on a 60-card list, that's the starting point you're looking for, and you can start playtesting and see if the deck you have fits your playstyle.

Your gameplan doesn't need to be super specific right now, but "KO before I get KO'd" is too general. Even something as simple as, for example, "I'd like Yveltal EX to be my primary attacker" or "I'd like to use Bronzong for Metal acceleration" should be enough to get the ball rolling. But we can't offer much help on your starting point until we know what deck we're working with, as there is no one-size-fits-all Trainer line.

It would also be worthwhile to post a decklist in the Deck Garage with over 60 cards, stating that it needs reducing. Then the community can help you determine what is not important. :)

For me, there really is not breakdown as to how many cards you should run. I find it more important to rely on gut-feel and to use a process of elimination when deck building and choosing cards. Before I got the hang of it, I actually started out making a list with 4 of everything I could think of that would be beneficial (yes that would mean I went over the 60 card limit). After which I go through every card and weigh its usefulness and drop each copy of each card to what I feel would be best.

And really, the only way to find out is to test and test and test. My current deck is on its 7th Version and I'm planning on modifying it again (at this point in my deck its all about techs rather than strategy because I got that taken care of).

OK, well may there's no hard and fast way to make a deck from scratch, but is there a general way to make a deck faster and more consistent? I keep getting defeated in PTCGO.

Faster decks typically have more Shaymin-EX, and may have Unown or Slurpuff, or Acro Bike, Roller Skates and Trainer's Mail. However, it is unlikely adding these will fix your deck's issue. Instead, it's probably a bit more specific. If you'd like to drop a link here of your deck in the Deck Garage, or send me a PM, I could help you straight up. :)

Well, that's the problem. I can't really pick a Standard deck unless someone gives me some rules on how to build 'em better. I'm kinda stuck on how to build Standard decks better.

Check out the Metagame Decks and pick a Standard Deck from that. They have been created by competitive players with expertise in deck building, and have been made to be the best possible in the current format, meaning they shouldn't need major alterations or be "built better".

If you're planning on building your own, completely rogue deck; make sure you have the time and commitment to spend on making the deck, including observation of other highly successful decks and testing. Keep in mind that deck building is not as simple as giving rules to follow, which is probably why you're stuck. :)

I good, beginning stepping stone to constructing decks is to attempt to make a deck and look for feedback. You cannot improve if you don't start at the beginning steps.

Well, where did the competitive players get their expertise in deckbuilding? Certainly they have some rules they must follow.
Practice and observation. They would have literally started out by finding a highly competitive deck list and make maybe one or two changes to it. Then perhaps change/add a Pokemon line (such as Zoroark DEX in Yveltal). Once both of those are done successfully, it is often attempted to make a deck just using a basic trainer system that you can pick up on by observing many different decks as the guideline. That deck is then uploaded/shared for feedback. The competitive player will fix up the deck, do more testing, make changes, and continue until they find their deck good enough. Doing this latter step multiple times eventually should lead to a nice expertise in deckbuilding, but it takes time to develop.

Well, I really don't have a specific deck I have in mind in Standard because of the rut I'm in. I'm just trying too many things and seeing what sticks. How does one find one's playstyle?

Well, it depends if you would like to go full on aggressive and try to 1-hit KO each turn, sit back and do 2-hits with defensive Pokemon that can generally only be 2-shotted, or sit back and use cards at your adversarial to disrupt your opponent (i.e. energy denial). These three types are effectively your playstyles. It could also help for you to list decks you have liked playing in the past.

In the past, I liked and did well with decks like Luxray/Garchomp, Flygon Lvl. X/Dusknoir DP, Reshiphlosion, and more recently Ray/Eels, Genesect/Virizion, Yveltal variants, and Night March (the Expanded decks I'd like to toy with). I guess I'm aggressive, but value speed and mobility as well, not sure?

What might be a good Standard deck for me, given these trends?

Hmm, it really feels like a Rayquaza/Bronzong variant or Manectric variant will be most optimal. The former has nice energy support with great attacks, while the latter is nice and solid, and definitely allows mobility.

In making decks from scratch, keep in mind that fast decks generally have low energy costs and little evolutional requirements, while those with free retreat have great mobility.

I've been drifting toward that direction myself, come to think of it. Also looking at some kind of Tyrantrum EX/Bronzong build, since I'm not sure how Rayquaza will stand up to Parallel City being out there.

Back