Discussion How do I play Trevenant against Zoroark and Darkrai?

RoboSensei

I hate Greninja
My next local regionals is unfortunately going to be expanded for me. In preparation and testing online, I've come to like playing Trevenant Break. I am testing post ban, meaning no Wally, which I still think the deck can run well without. My only problematic matchups I've faced thus far happens to be the deck's literal weaknesses, Zoroark-GX and Darkrai-EX/GX focused decks. I'm looking for some tips/tricks/techs or anything that could help me improve these matches in my favor. Below is the list I am currently using and have been mostly comfortable with.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 4 Phantump BKP 64
* 1 Tapu Lele PR-SM SM45
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155
* 4 Trevenant XY 55
* 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 4 N FCO 105
* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 4 Dimension Valley PHF 93
* 4 Rescue Scarf DRX 115
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Scoop Up Cyclone PLB 95
* 1 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 4 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 1 Eneporter FLI 106
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 9

* 5 Psychic Energy 5
* 4 Mystery Energy PHF 112

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

My main issue with these matchups is that due to their ability to quickly power up and 1-shot my Trevenants, I am always 1 turn behind in either evolution or energy attachments, even with Rescue Scarves. Normally a VS Seeker for Wally would be able to solve one of these problems, but that is no longer an option.

You basically said it, with Wally gone there are no easy answers to this matchup. Before the Wally ban was announced you could stay a step ahead of them and just rack up damage counters with Silent Fear before going with a sweep with the Lele promo.

Not very sure how viable Trev is anymore, you don't outpace them anymore and the only real option is to devolve the Zoroarks as quickly as possible after spamming with Trevenant Break.

You basically said it, with Wally gone there are no easy answers to this matchup. Before the Wally ban was announced you could stay a step ahead of them and just rack up damage counters with Silent Fear before going with a sweep with the Lele promo.

Not very sure how viable Trev is anymore, you don't outpace them anymore and the only real option is to devolve the Zoroarks as quickly as possible after spamming with Trevenant Break.
The only real way to do that is to put up things for them to knock out while you evolve trees in the background and hope you can silent fear twice while not having espeon/lele prized. All of my wins vs zoroark have been from them whiffing energies or an enhanced hammer into N/ace trainer actually sticks.

I'm aware of Latias-EX as a possible counter but without fire/dde I dont think it's worth running just to stall. Even then they can still hit moderately hard with rockruffs and oranguru

I would try incorporating Necrozma GX with DCE. It gives you access to the most powerful spread attack in the game, and can make for some very short matches. A decklist for a high-placing Japanese deck is floating around online somewhere that really helped me when I was building my Trev deck. I'm also a bit leery on the viability of the deck without Wally as well.

I would try incorporating Necrozma GX with DCE. It gives you access to the most powerful spread attack in the game, and can make for some very short matches. A decklist for a high-placing Japanese deck is floating around online somewhere that really helped me when I was building my Trev deck. I'm also a bit leery on the viability of the deck without Wally as well.
I'm not doubting the deck's viability without Wally. It's proven itself to still be a powerhouse without it in every other matchup. It's only been Zoroark that's given me problems so far. If I were to toss in Necrozma, how many DCE would I want and what do you think would be reasonable cuts?

I'm not saying my list is good by any stretch of the word (waiting till Lonzo is out of the format to test online), but here is my pre-ban version of the list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 1 Marshadow SLG 45
* 1 Necrozma-GX BUS 63
* 4 Phantump BKP 64
* 1 Tapu Lele PR-SM SM45
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 4 Trevenant XY 55
* 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Silent Lab PRC 140
* 1 Wally ROS 94
* 3 Dimension Valley PHF 93
* 1 Captivating Poké Puff STS 99
* 1 Team Flare Grunt GEN 73
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Counter Catcher CIN 91
* 1 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 N FCO 105
* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 3 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Weakness Policy BUS 126

##Energy - 10

* 3 Psychic Energy GEN 79
* 3 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
* 4 Mystery Energy PHF 112

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I really like silent lab in this deck, especially with Giratina Promo in format. Using 3 DCE also frees you up to use Silent Lab and still attack with Trev.

Post-ban, you are correct in using Cyclone. It's too good for reuse of Lele, removing Espeon from the field, or simply making unbreakable item lock.

Edit: I cut one of each stadium for rescue scarf.

Last edited:
Back