General How Did You Get Interested In Pokemon?

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Not sure if there's already a thread for this but I didn't see one so I'm guessing there isn't.

When I was little I came across Diamond and thought Dialga was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I asked my dad to buy it and I've been playing Pokemon ever since.

So what I want to know is: How did you get interested in Pokemon?

Not sure if there's already a thread for this but I didn't see one so I'm guessing there isn't.

When I was little I came across Diamond and thought Dialga was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I asked my dad to buy it and I've been playing Pokemon ever since.

Well, get this. My Grandmother was video gamer. She began playing Pokemon when it was first released in America, and she loved it a lot. She played the series so much it was crazy. As a result, when I went to her house in the summer of 2006, she gave me her extra copy of Pokemon Emerald, and a GBA to play it on. I got HOOKED. We played together, and even battled one another for a long time, up to the point of right after XY was released. Unfortunately she passed away the summer of 2014. Thank you Gradma, for introducing me to one of the greatest things to exist. Rest In Peace.

actually, my grandpa gave my older brother and me our first pokemon cards. a glaceon and a leafeon. And from then on, everything was pokemon for me. silver, soulsilver, black 2, y, super mystery dungeon, alpha sapphire, cards, manga, everything.

It all started when I was eight (2010-ish). My mom took care of an elderly couple, and I was in their living room watching cartoons. A Pokémon episode came on, and I started watching. I remember that one of the episodes was about Stantler, and I think there was one about Cilan and Chili (possibly why I'm obsessed with Striaton now), or maybe I was just imagining things. I eventually grew out of it, until some of my friends had Pokémon cards at a summer camp (around 2013-14). My favorite Pokémon was Fennekin (still is), and I got a card of him that I ended up trading. I've been a loyal Pokémon fan ever since.

I remember knowing what Pokemon was ever since I was like 4 or 5, but I wasn't ever really interested in it. At first I was begging my parents to get me Pokemon cards, because everyone else was. Then Bakugan came out (which in retrospect, kind of sucked) and I begged my parents to get me that. And then Beyblades came out...basically, I wanted every single little anime toy there was to get (those three were actually the only ones I remember wanting; I know there was other anime, but Pokemon, Bakugan, and Beyblades was the only stuff I saw). Eventually, I moved on to Legos and forgot all about it. But then, one day I was visiting a friend's house and he was giving his cards away, and once I started playing I knew I was hooked. I'm more of a collector than a TCG player now, and I'm still collecting! (Unfortunately, when you're only 13 years old, you only have so much money to spend on getting booster packs :(.)

I remember knowing what Pokemon was ever since I was like 4 or 5, but I wasn't ever really interested in it. At first I was begging my parents to get me Pokemon cards, because everyone else was. Then Bakugan came out (which in retrospect, kind of sucked) and I begged my parents to get me that. And then Beyblades came out...basically, I wanted every single little anime toy there was to get (those three were actually the only ones I remember wanting; I know there was other anime, but Pokemon, Bakugan, and Beyblades was the only stuff I saw). Eventually, I moved on to Legos and forgot all about it. But then, one day I was visiting a friend's house and he was giving his cards away, and once I started playing I knew I was hooked. I'm more of a collector than a TCG player now, and I'm still collecting! (Unfortunately, when you're only 13 years old, you only have so much money to spend on getting booster packs :(.)
That last sentence. Sums up my life.

BAKUGAN! THAT WAS THE STUFF BACK THEN! But yeah, it sucks looking back now.

I remember I was in either 3rd or 4th grade when I would wake up to get ready to go to school and I would watch cartoons right before I left and that's when one magical morning Pokemon was on, I don't remember which episode it was but what I couldn't get out of my head was the opening theme song =p I collected cards from that point until the Team Rocket set came out then I kind of just stopped. Then several years of me playing Yugioh. Then I quit and started collecting Pokemon cards again around the time Phantom Forces was the new set, and now here I am completely engulfed in everything Pokemon.

My older brother (who would be turning 23 in a few days) got into the pokemon craze of the 90's when he was checked in the hospital for cancer. he basically owned everything pokemon. plush, clothing, cards, games, vhs (which were in dutch becausehe was getting his treatment in the netherlands) all of it. he even had a pokemon themed party. so i essentially grew up with pokemon before i could even remember. he was treated for about a year and during that time he lost his hair and his legs because of the treatments. as said i grew up with everything pokemon, except the games for a while since his gameboy game broke. we even had this giant squirtle and pikachu plush which eventually became really ugly to say the least. so i mostly watched the anime and played with the other toys. it wasn't until i got the gameboy advance that my mom got me fire red (and emerald eventually) and they were so great. i remember for the first time blazing through the game with just a charizard 'cause i was a stupid kid, but i did eventually restarted and had an actual team. i think it consisted of charizard, primape, raichu, lapras, jolteon and butterfree (may or may not have actually had a jolteon). at some point i even found the old TCG game on gameboy hidden in one of the rooms in the house that still worked so i got into tcg that way (they don't sell the actual cards here in Curaçao). the games i've owned were fire red, emerald, soul silver and alpha sapphire (didn't get black and white because we couldn't really afford video games for a while. otherwise i would've gotten it), but I've pretty much played all of the main series and spin-offs through friends and such and play TCGO daily (kinda). i'm planning on getting moon on release. i stopped watching the anime around black and white, but mostly through loss of interest because of ash (and his partners in b&w were extremely annoying).
Sadly my brother didn't make it. he passed away when i was 3, so i don't really know what he looks or sounds like from memory. only from pictures. the only memory i have of him is rolling him in a wheel chair to school, but sometimes i don't really know if that's a memory or a dream. so in a way, i still play pokemon because of him (that and they're wicked fun games).

I accidentally got into Pokémon when somebody bought me the Power Reserve Theme Deck from the Jungle Set, so in this scenario, I have Kangaskhan to thank for getting me into Pokémon. I've been studying their Breeding and Egg Moves compatibility since. I wanna be one of the best Breeders.

My journey into Pokemon started like a lot of people my age did. I got Pokemon Red and a GameBoy Color for Christmas back in 1998. It's been 18 years now; and it's still going strong.

When I was in first grade, everyone started playing the TCG at school, so I started playing as well. I eventually got into the anime when I saw VHSes in BJ's. The games I got into a little later, not until GS came out, because my parents were reluctant to let me play video games.

I had a friend in school who played the TCG and he was the one who formally got me "into" Pokémon, even though I'd been aware of its existence. I started buying and playing with cards and watching the anime, then began playing the games when Pokémon Yellow came out.

i knew about the series when i was 5 as i saw someone play Silver, i got into the anime soon after and i got my first game when i was 8 (Emerald) and i've been a fan ever since :3

Man, a lot of these comments make me feel OLD. You youngins. I became a fan when I was five years old. The anime just started airing here in Canada, and I was instantly hooked. My first game was Yellow, but I've been a fan since it first hit our shores. The rest is history, really. I've dedicated 18 of my 23 years of life to this glorious series.

he passed away when i was 3, so i don't really know what he looks or sounds like from memory. only from pictures. the only memory i have of him is rolling him in a wheel chair to school, but sometimes i don't really know if that's a memory or a dream. so in a way, i still play pokemon because of him (that and they're wicked fun games).
;w; That's so sad, and also very inspiring.

I saw ads in the Beano about the TV series, it was show on terrestrial TV in Ireland, so I was primed but knew that it was based on an awesome computer game. So one summer my brother and I got gameboy colours and pokemon (red for me, blue for him) and the rest is history.

Oh, there have been at least two threads about this before because the story I'm about to type has been done before. But that's okay :).

I had two friends who were interested in Pokémon, I didn't really pay much attention to it. One day at our local comic/card shop I decided to randomly buy a pack of Base Set Pokémon cards, thinking I could always trade them or give them to my friends. My rarest card in that pack was the base set holo Venusaur, and it looked so cool and I loved the Solar Beam attack and Poke Power. That evening I got my parents to buy me the Overgrowth theme deck so Venusaur had a home and then I started to play the deck. That was how I got into it.

All these years later I'm the only one of us who collect Pokémon (at least as far as I know) and I have a replica of the Overgrowth deck I had then, as my original collection was stolen. I started to play the games when another of my friends traded me his Gameboy and Pokémon Red.

Back