• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Hoopa/Noivern GX

Trendy67

Aspiring Trainer
146718_200w.jpg
+
138594_200w.jpg

Decklist:
Pokemon (12):
4x Hoopa (Shining Legends)
3x Noibat (Forbidden Light)
2x Noivern GX
1x Oranguru (Instruct)
1x Oranguru (Resource Management)
1x Tapu Koko

Supporters (15):
4x Guzma
4x Professor Sycamore
3x Professor Kukui
1x N
1x Gladion
2x Acerola

Stadiums (2):
1x Devoured Field
1x Parallel City

Items (18):
4x Max Elixir
3x Ultra Ball
2x Nest Ball
3x Weakness Policy
1x Super Rod
1x Rescue Stretcher
1x Float Stone
1x Enhanced Hammer
1x Pal Pad
1x Special Charge

Energy (13):
9x Dark
4x Double Colorless

For a while I've been desperately trying to make a standard deck out of my favorite, Noivern GX. Problem is it's just really hard to make a good deck with him. Here's my latest monstrosity!

The premise is to be generally disruptive. Win by chip damage and locking your opponents out of options. Built off the attacking Hoopa deck, with Noivern GX to item lock.

"Why did you think X would be a good card?"
Kukui: Boost Noivern's Distort attack to be able to KO 70 HP basics like Riolu and Rockruff
Acerola: Scoop up injured Noiverns and bring in GX-immune Hoopa.
Devoured Field: Boost Noivern's Distort attack to be able to KO 60 HP basics like Zorua and Eevee, or in Hoopa's case, 90 HP Pokemon like Octillery or Malamar.
Parallel City: Disrupt opponent's full bench
Weakness Policy: Fighting support is stupidly strong and Hoopa is easy to knock out with basic fighting Pokemon with just a Strong Energy and a Diancie {*}
Tapu Koko: 20 to each and free retreat is nice. Will help land KO's
Oranguru (Resource Management): The other Oranguru is obvious for card draw, but this guy gets some cards back in the deck without using too much deck space for Puzzles of Time.

Been having trouble nailing the right cards or numbers down. Thoughts? Suggestions? Are Max Elixirs necessary? Can this work or is it a bust? What would you add or take out?

Thanks!

So I play Attacking Hoopa deck with Energy Loto and have had great success with it. Yes it takes an extra turn but getting special energies is worth it. I would think Unit Energy might make sense in here somewhere. Will rum it and get back to you. Like the idea though ALOT

Today I ran this deck in a local tournament and missed the top cut by one spot. 2-1-2 record. I velieve the only real issues Hoopa has in general (Attacking, Mill, this, etc.) is Baby Buzzwold and GGarbotoxin.I have played Attacking Hoopa to 3 top cuts in the last 6 tournaments and 6 too 10's in a row so this deck is very viable.
It bothered me that there was no Psychic Energy option but truly have no idea where to put it. Rainbow Energy is an option. It is a really well run deck.

Today I ran this deck in a local tournament and missed the top cut by one spot. 2-1-2 record. I believe the only real issues Hoopa has in general (Attacking, Mill, this, etc.) is Baby Buzzwole and Garbotoxin. I have played Attacking Hoopa to 3 top cuts in the last 6 tournaments and 6 too 10's in a row so this deck is very viable.
It bothered me that there was no Psychic Energy option but truly have no idea where to put it. Rainbow Energy is an option. It is a really well run deck.
Thank you for the response!

Did you run this exact list or something different?

And yeah, I can see that Garbotoxin should be an issue, but I never encountered it while tryign to pilot this since the opponents trying Garbotoxin weren't able to play tool cards to equip due to Noivern GX's Distort attack :)

Absolutely though I agree Buzzwole (FLI 77) is a problem. He's redonkulously powerful on his own, and hitting for weakness on Hoopa just makes life worse. That's why I thought Weakness Policy would be a good addition to the deck, since Buzzwole is clearly the Best Deck in the Format, and now decks are running multiple copies of the non-GX version. That card is insane. This deck can't OHKO it with anytihng. Even with Sonic Volume if we tweaked the deck to include other energies-- we'd need Devoured Field or Kukui on a Sonic Volume to hit 130 HP. Absolutely insane, that card is.

Any ideas on improving this deck? How would you run it after rotation, you mentioned Energy Loto? I also thought about adding that new stadium that does damage to all GX Pokemon in play (from Celestial Storm).

I love Noivern, and Hoopa is frustrating and hilarious, so I thought this would be the perfect blend for my playstyle - a weird, yet efficient rogue deck.

Thank you for the response!

Did you run this exact list or something different?

And yeah, I can see that Garbotoxin should be an issue, but I never encountered it while tryign to pilot this since the opponents trying Garbotoxin weren't able to play tool cards to equip due to Noivern GX's Distort attack :)

Absolutely though I agree Buzzwole (FLI 77) is a problem. He's redonkulously powerful on his own, and hitting for weakness on Hoopa just makes life worse. That's why I thought Weakness Policy would be a good addition to the deck, since Buzzwole is clearly the Best Deck in the Format, and now decks are running multiple copies of the non-GX version. That card is insane. This deck can't OHKO it with anytihng. Even with Sonic Volume if we tweaked the deck to include other energies-- we'd need Devoured Field or Kukui on a Sonic Volume to hit 130 HP. Absolutely insane, that card is.

Any ideas on improving this deck? How would you run it after rotation, you mentioned Energy Loto? I also thought about adding that new stadium that does damage to all GX Pokemon in play (from Celestial Storm).

I love Noivern, and Hoopa is frustrating and hilarious, so I thought this would be the perfect blend for my playstyle - a weird, yet efficient rogue deck.

I did play this deck exactly as you had posted it. It was surprisingly smooth for the most part. The new Noibat (Forbidden Light) really makes a difference on first attack. I actually used it as a gimmie prize card to the opponent. I am a firm believer that Hoopa becomes even stronger post rotation but something tells me dragon types are going to get some support soon (gut feeling). I do not know that I would change anything currently except the option to play multiple Devoured Field's to get to 90 with Hoopa because you lose the extra power playing weakness policy instead of fighting fury belt.

My next move with this deck would be to try Noivern GX/Garbodor with the new FBL Noibat. I think traditional Attacking Hoopa runs a bit better but there is definity validity in this deck. Thanks for the list.

Dude, sweet! Glad to hear it! So I guess Weakness policy worked out pretty well, huh? Underrated! Top 5 card of all time xD And with item lock they can't remove it with Field Blower!

What would you take out for the other Devoured Field, just replace the Parallel City?

I've tried Noivern/Garb in the past and didn't have much success with it. I too love the idea but in my experience it felt clunky and difficult to get going, but I built it a while back when I was much less experienced. A couple people on here thought up some decklists though. Garbotoxin won't be in standard for too much longer but the decklists are here:
Standard Noivern-GX / garbodor
Standard Garbodor/Noibat Troll Deck

Back