Ruling Holon Energy WP's true effect

Silver_Cyh

er... Hello?
Today's DF prerelease I encountered a slight problem

861lv0.jpg

Holon Energy WP can prevent all EFFECT of an attack, excluding DAMAGE, done to the Pokemon Holon Energy WP is attached to by your opponent's Pokemon attack.

In this case, if I have a Pokemon:

Poke-Body: Delta Protection
Any damage done to Dewgong by your opponent's Pokemon with "δ" on its card is reduced by 40.(After applying weakness and resistance)

[c][c] Ice Beam: 20
Flip a coin, if heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

[c][c][c] Surge: 40+
If Dewgong δ has at least 2 Water Energy attached to it, this attack does 40 damage plus 20 more damage.

40 + 20(2 Water Energy) = 60       (My Dewgong δ's attack)

60 - 40(Delta Protection) = 20        (My opponent's Dewgong δ receive damage)

My opponent told me that because of Holon Energy WP, the effect(the additional 20 damage) have been prevented. So the damage is 0.

Is this ruling correct?

I'm sure that it isn't right.
It just can't be true.
It's not an effect, it's a part of the attack!

No way, José. Surge's attack effect is part of the "figure out the base damage" step. In order to know the damage of the attack, you need to find out: Does Dewgong have at least two Water Energy attached to it? If yes, then this attack doesn't do 40 damage, it does 60.

Effects of attacks are whatever else happens AFTER you know the base damage the attack will do. Effects of attacks are NOT attack effects. Attack effects are any text that appears after an attack's name. "Draw a card." is an attack effect. "The Defending Pokémon is now Poisoned." is an effect of an attack.

In short, your opponent should have taken 20 damage (60 from Surge - 40 from Delta Protection) from the attack.

PMJ is correct. The effect of addition damage is not an attack effect, but it is the attack simply calculating the base damage based on certain conditions. If an attack says "Flip a coin, this does X amounts of damage more", or "Flip a coin for each energy", etc then that is simply calculating the base damage.

Stuff that is prevented are things like status conditions, attacks which place damage counters, attacks which re/move energy, moving pokemon around (depending who the attack is aimed at). Basically anything that doesn't calculate base damage is prevented.

Almost everyone says the ruling is correct. If this happens, then feel poor to that player...

How about Steelix ex's Mudslide attack? Does Holon Energy WP prevent it?

Silver_Cyh said:
Almost everyone says the ruling is correct. If this happens, then feel poor to that player...

No, it's the same.

basicly it prevents:

- special conditions
- putting damage counters atk
- atks that discards ur energy

atks that choose 1 pokemon, DOES damage can really cut through WP

Silver_Cyh said:
No. Mudslide is simply confirming where you're going to put the damage. It still does damage, as it says "This attack does 100 damage to that Pokemon"...

WP does not stop damage in this sense. It is still doing damage. It's already been stated numerous times what WP prevents and any attack that includes the word 'damage' in it that has a set base number, is not prevented.

Abhorsen said:
WP does not stop damage in this sense. It is still doing damage. It's already been stated numerous times what WP prevents and any attack that includes the word 'damage' in it that has a set base number, is not prevented.

Last question, how about an attack that says "Put damage counter"?

Prevented. Not actually damage, so it's one of things that escape Curse powder, Shadow Curse, DRE's damage decreasment, and other irritating factors.

Silver_Cyh said:
Abhorsen said:

Last question, how about an attack that says "Put damage counter"?
Sorry, that was my mistake, I should have made myself more clear (despite already answering this in my 1st post). Placing/Putting damage counters onto a Pokemon is not considered "doing damage". Since you're not doing damage Holon WP prevents the counters being placed.

didn't that card read: prevent all effects of an attack EXCLUDING damage....
geez...if u have lost that game it must really hurt huh?

anybody have a listing on how cards are deciphered or decisions made? somebody must have a ruling on that.

And also this:

991uq1.jpg

Did that^ Electromark and Shock-wave attacks did any respond to a Pokemon Holon Energy WP is attached to?

ElectroMark and Shock Wave does no damage, right? So, WP prevents that attack. Other attacks like Pure Power (Jynx and Medicham ex), Pick and Choose/Spider Trap (Swalot and Ariados) along with many Pokemon that does NOT DO damage to the Pokemon with WP and WP prevents that attack from being a succession.

Holon WP does not stop Disconnect because its effect is an effect on the other player, not on the Pokémon. Hydro Pump accounted for? I don't know what you mean. If you're referring to extra damage, Holon WP doesn't stop that either, since it is damage.

Back