Hoenn Power Tins [June]

Interesting. There was a dude in the Sceptile EX promo spoiler thread who spent a whole paragraph decrying this artwork. This 5ban era stuff is quite divisive it seems.

I think The Shining Mew was mainly talking about the tin artwork itself and not the cards. The tins look cool, but yeah the 5ban 3d models just need to stop in my opinion. There are exceedingly better 3d models in the main game series as well as in the Pokedex 3D app that could easily be used instead but I guess it just came down to a style choice by TPC.

That being said, the card artwork for Swampert, Sceptile and Blaziken EX are all awful
lbqBvvu.png
Just look at Blaziken's face instead of giving him a stern look of "badassery" Yoshinob makes it look like he is a stupid chicken that just got sucker punched and now his beak is broken.

I don't want to be known as the guy who hates on everything, but maybe just hates on Eske Yoshinob :cool:.

The problem with any artwork is that everyone has different opinions, or sometimes lack of opinion, about it. The truth is that you can't make everybody happy.

My personal opinion is that regardless of what I think about the artwork, since I can't do any better I really have no room to criticize.

4 Swampert EX
4 DCE
52 Water Energy
Is a deck I will be making in the future.
I was so sad when I learned that swampert EX wouldn't be in Roaring Skies because I really wanted to use it in prerelease for this exact reason.

Plus, 4 DEX Rayquaza EX with 28 fire and 28 lightning was far more entertaining in my honest opinion lol.

My personal opinion is that regardless of what I think about the artwork, since I can't do any better I really have no room to criticize.

I don't feel like that follows however, I don't think people should be ok with mediocrity, especially when excellence is possible and has been done before. I believe that opinion goes beyond just artwork and into video game design, school work, watching movies, just been a critical person.

And maybe I'm too hard on Eske Yoshinob, and honestly I wouldn't mind as much if he wasn't the most prominent Pokemon EX artist, but he is the flag ship artist for the cards, and the Pokemon EX cards are the most beautiful artwork we have seen in history and I feel like the potential is being wasted with 5ban graphics and Eske's work.

But it still goes back to what I said. You can't make everyone happy. What is good artwork? What is bad artwork? It's still a matter of perspective, of opinion.

I happen to like Blaziken EX's artwork. The face may not look quiet right but you have him basically in the middle of an attack (a Blaze Kick I say or maybe about to unleash the Flare Storm. On the other hand I'm not a fan of Sceptile EX's artwork, who looks like a giant green chicken with arms leaning down to pick up grain.

But the artist, whoever they may be, still has to go through the proverbial chain of command and it got approved somewhere along the line, so really it doesn't matter what we think. It is what it is.

I don't want to be known as the guy who hates on everything, but maybe just hates on Eske Yoshinob :cool:.
Not at all. You have good reasons and backed them up. Your response alongside ShiningMew's reminded me why I like this game so much in the first place. One of my most consistent Pokémon-playing friends hunts for a shiny living dex while our mutual friends and I duke it out with our painstakingly bred and trained teams. The fact that you consider artwork when evaluating cards strikes me as admirable in much the same way. It isn't something I do, but seeing you derive enjoyment from it is in itself fulfilling as it reminds me that there is no wrong way to enjoy a hobby (least of all this one).
I only buy packs, so the odd time I open an EX it doesn't get used. I don't get exposed to 5ban much. The exceptions are Fairy type promos Diancie and Xerneas and they strike me as dynamic but cluttered. Its no Team Magma's Groudon, but its also no WP39 Misdreavus.

I have the feeling I'll probably be hitting eBay for these as there's the strongest chance that the local Tesco in Ireland will never get these in. Seriously, last time I was there they still had the Xerneas and Yveltal tins in stock and ONLY them.

Has this ever happened before? An English card being released before the Japanese version of that card?

Back