• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Ho-Oh GX/Volcanion GX/Turtonator GX

JM_Wolf

Aspiring Trainer
So I've been really wanting to build a fire deck ever since I heard there was going to be a Ho-Oh GX, and when I heard about Kiawe, I knew I would love to build it even more. So this is my take on a powered up fire deck. Please lmk what you think, and I'll accept any suggestions.

Pokemon:
4 Volcanion GX
3 Volcanion
3 Ho-Oh GX
2 Turtonator GX
2 Shaymin EX
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainer:
4 Professor Sycamore
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Kiawe
3 Max Elixir
3 N
2 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
2 Altar of the Sunne
2 Scorched Earth
1 Lysandre
1 Field Blower

Energy
11 Fire Energy

Last edited:
A few initial thoughts for your consideration:
  • Please list the current spoiler description for the soon-to-be released (?) Kiawe and Ho-Oh GX.
  • Secondly, what is your planned deck strategy? This would be helpful to know so that comments will be properly with said strategy.
  • From my current testing experience, I'm found that 2 Shaymin Ex and 2 Tapu Lele GX are quite excessive. I now only run 1 of each in my Volcanion EX deck.
  • Now, with Field Blower, we are again in the midst of another "war." This time being primarily Tools. From my experience, you may want to run at least Tools. You could easily replace a Scorched Earth (IMO) with another Field Blower.
  • I'd also suggest incorporating a Parallel City as a replacement for the other Scorched Earth. This suggested Stadium can either help you (by removing unwanted or unneeded Pokémon from your bench) or disrupting your opponent's bench (at opportuned times).
  • With 16 Basics, your opponent will have ample opportunities to Lysandre one of your non-threatening, heavy Retreat Cost'ing Pokémon to the Active position in order to perhaps buy some time. Your very limited number of Float Stone will not be a consistent, viable option for retreating since the Float Stone, most likely, will be Field Blower'd away by your opponent. So, consider incorporating a re-usable (via VS Seeker) Olympia as another alternative for switching.
More feedback can be provided after you provide your deck strategy, as well as the requested new card descriptions.

Last edited:
First thing that came to mind with Ho Oh GX was using it's ability to grab Incineroar GXs out of the discard and build your bench. No litten, no toracat, no, rare candy.

I'm not sure if Volcanion EX is necessary. Ho-oh GX smacks for 180 (210 with Choice Band) which is enough to OHKO most things in the format, especially since many playable high HP GXs are weak to fire. With Sacred Fire being usable after a Phoenix Burn, you can easily get the follow up KO something you didn't quite KO last turn, even if they retreat. With 3 retreat, Volcanion EX is a stall target, and therefore, a liability. Finally, given that your deck space is pretty limited, you don't have the space for energy recovery, which is necessary to keep Volcanion running well. If you run any, I'd only run 1.

I'd bump Ho-oh GX to a 4 count. You REALLY want to start with it.

Turtonator GX is definitely a good play, both for Nitro Tank and as an alternate attacker. Inevitably, Ho-oh GX will go down, and you will need to recover that energy. I might bump that up to a 3-of.

I'd definitely keep the 2 Tapu Lele + 4 Ultra Ball. You desperately want Kiawe on the first turn.

I might drop a Shaymin EX. Scorched Earth should help supplement draw power and Shaymin can clog the bench. (Shaymin EX will likely rotate after Worlds, so it probably won't be legal with the new cards very long.)

Baby Volc is debatable. Usually baby Volc is used to help set up, but Kiawe has you covered there pretty well. I'd maybe keep a couple, just in case you get a bad setup, or you need a non GX attacker late game.

I'd probably only play 2 Kiawe. You most likely don't want to use it more than once, but you don't want it prized either.

(As mentioned earlier, there is a rotation coming up soon. VS Seeker will likely rotate as well. If you want to build for this, just play more supporters or Leles)

I'd dump FFB for Choice Band. The bonus damage from FFB doesn't help you over Choice Band against anything I know of in the format, and with Field Blower in Format, the 40 extra HP isn't guaranteed.

I'm not sure if Altar of the Sunne is necessary. Ho-oh GX is weak to Lightning, and Turtonator is weak to Water. The chances of you running into a Water + Lightning deck is pretty remote at the time. Against a Water deck, just use Ho-oh GX. Against a Lightning Deck, just use Turtonator GX.

Replace Lysandre with Guzma and play more of them. While Ho-oh GX can bench snipe, you will inevitably run into cases where you need to stall or KO something NOW, before it becomes active. You can play around the switch effect, and sometimes it will even be beneficial to have it.

Try to play 2 Field Blowers if you can find space.

Try to make space for Hex Maniac. We're getting a non-GX Alolan Ninetales that has an ability that makes it immune to GXs. Expect it in every Alolan Ninetales deck and some others.

I'd either play more Fire energy or just drop Max Elixir. With 12 energy, on average, you will hit half of your Max Elixirs. You only have 11 right now and, after a Kiawe, you will only have 7 in deck. Couple this with only a 3 count, and you are asking for a dead card.

TL;DR - (though I highly recommend you read through it anyway)

-4 Volcanion EX
-3 Volcanion
+1 Ho-oh GX
+1 Turtonator GX
-1 Shaymin EX (maybe)

+1 Hex Maniac
-1 Lysandre
-1 Kiawe(maybe)
+3 Guzma

+1 Field Blower
+1 Max Elixir
-2 FFB
+2 Choice Band
-2 Altar of the Sunne
+1 Scorched Earth
+1 Switch/Escape Rope(maybe)

+2 Fire(if you can, make more space for more Fire)

I think 3 volcanion ex is perfectly fine. That way you can use FFB to boost the HP, and the extra damage comes from Steam-Ups. Also, Brooklet Hill is probably the best stadium for Volcanion right now, as you don't have to use extra items (for garb) to search out your pokemon.

Back