Discussion Ho-Oh GX, Lysandre Prism VS Ultra Necrozma

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
I been thinking about this all day... and it just seems to me this is a pretty horrible MU for U Necrozma. The phoenix is likely to set up much faster than Necrozma, and getting 190 out of Ho-Oh GX isn't hard at all. Ho-Oh on the other hand can put Necrozma in an awkward place if they play FFB instead of CB. At 220hp Necrozma needs to discard 3 Psychic energy even after CB. Meanwhile Ho-Oh can oneshot with just the FFB, or with steam up, and then they can run Lysandre Prism to toss all of your Psychic energy into the lost zone so you can't recharge...

Is this just the best way to deal with the possible best decks in the Forbidden Light format, U Necrozma GX and Buzzwole Lycanroc?

That strategy only works against Ultra Necrozma. Buzzwole on the other hand, works you over in almost the exact same way. It sets up faster, recharges energy easier, and does enough damage to OHKO all your guys. Lycanroc or Garb both hinder you because they either control all of their KOs or lock you out of Wonder Tag, Instruct, and Steam Up. The nice thing about the Forbidden Light standard format is that every deck has a bad matchup.

That strategy only works against Ultra Necrozma. Buzzwole on the other hand, works you over in almost the exact same way. It sets up faster, recharges energy easier, and does enough damage to OHKO all your guys. Lycanroc or Garb both hinder you because they either control all of their KOs or lock you out of Wonder Tag, Instruct, and Steam Up. The nice thing about the Forbidden Light standard format is that every deck has a bad matchup.

I don't really see it. First off, Buzzwole is faster than Kiawe? Max Elixirs are nice and all, but getting enough energy to get a T1 or even a T2 Knuckle Impact or GX attack off is rare. Even if they DO get that for Knuckle Impact to OHKO you need to hit Choice Band and a Strong to cover the resistance. Even more if Ho-Oh starts running FFB.

Garb is annoying, especially since Kiawe- Ho-Oh GX doesn't often play a ton of Field Blower, however Sacred Fire two shots Trubbish/ Grab, so stopping them before they start seems like strong play..

Lycanroc GX is manageable. Bloodthirtsy Eyes is a pain, but playing around Lycanroc's GX attack with Ho-Oh is far easier than with, say, Necroz/ Malamar or VikaBulu.

I don't think it's an advantaged match up for Ho-Oh, but I would place it at about even in most scenarios.

The only thing that has been able to fend off Buzz is the Garb/Espeon decks and those will likely start to flame out. I am tired of seeing all of the Buzz decks out there but they are around because of how powerful and consistent they are. Volcanion isn't an awful matchup against it in general but Buzz gets going faster. Even with Kiawe it is still tough because they don't have to put all their eggs in one basket. I have been constantly trying to think of decks that can counter Buzz, I like your idea of Ho-Oh and FFB. Beast Ring is as good as Max Elixir and if you get your one hit kill with Phoenix Burn then they get a new Buzz with 3 Energy immediately.

The only thing that has been able to fend off Buzz is the Garb/Espeon decks and those will likely start to flame out. I am tired of seeing all of the Buzz decks out there but they are around because of how powerful and consistent they are. Volcanion isn't an awful matchup against it in general but Buzz gets going faster. Even with Kiawe it is still tough because they don't have to put all their eggs in one basket. I have been constantly trying to think of decks that can counter Buzz, I like your idea of Ho-Oh and FFB. Beast Ring is as good as Max Elixir and if you get your one hit kill with Phoenix Burn then they get a new Buzz with 3 Energy immediately.
Beat me to the punch.

I'm 6-0 with buzz against Espeon Garb. Maybe mew settings this matchup?

I think Buzz is still better than esp/garb. It worked for a bit but now adjustments have been made to swing back in Buzzwole favor

Back