• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Ho-Oh GX Deck

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
I planned to buy the SHL Premium Collection and the Ho-Oh Tin so why not build a Ho-Oh GX deck? This list is not very good (I am not good at building decks) please give me feedback and help making it a better deck.

##Pokémon - 12

* 4 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 21
* 2 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 2 Volcanion STS 25
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Volcanion-EX STS 26

##Trainer - 34

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Energy Retrieval EVO 77
* 2 Professors Letter BKT 146
* 4 Prof. Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Max-Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Kiawe BUS 116
* 4 N FAC 105
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93

##Energy - 14

* 14 Fire Energy

How come you don't play Salazzle? It becomes a super solid attacker once you take 3 prizes, which you do REALLY early game with Ho-oh. 3 Lele and 4 Guzma are also optimal for consistency, since once you get Ho-oh set up, 2 consecutive Phoenix Burn can be devastating to your opponents' board, and Salazzle can finish the job. Volcanion serves as a semi-backup attacker, and also Steam Up to OHKO anything above 180 health. Turtonator is there for the GX attack and being a non-lightning weak Ho-oh. I actually just built this deck last night and was able to get everything from trades starting from scratch. Switch is also a really good card, since if you have a Choice Band on something, Float Stone wouldn't work. Guzma isn't that reliable as a pure switching card because it's a supporter and if you Sycamore in order to draw resources, then you can't Guzma, so Switch is good. It also doubles as a re-enabler for Ho-oh/ Volcanion to attack consecutively if you switch into something with a Float Stone. How does 4 Max Elixir work for you? I tried 3 and 4, but I don't use it that often either way, but if you whiff the T1 Kiawe, you need t get set up somehow, but at this same time, baby Volcanion/ Turtonator can accelerate Energy from the discard pile, so I'm flip-flopping between them.

Sorry, but I don't have money to buy a third Tapu-Lele GX. Your other suggestions are really good, but what should I remove?

This deck list doesn't seem bad, but I would suggest the more competitive Ho Oh GX/Salazzle GX deck. If you didn't know it came in 9th place at worlds this year, and should still be good in the upcoming rotation. Here are the changes I would make to your deck.

-1 Ho Oh GX(I find 4 Ho Oh GX's to be unnecessary with Salazzle.)
-1 Turtonator GX(You only will need 1 in a game, and if it gets prized it's not a huge deal.)
-2 Energy Retrieval(14 Fire Energy is enough for to find them, and you want Fire Energy in the discard for Volcanion and Turtonator.)
-2 Professor's Letter(You normally shouldn't need help finding energies.)
-2 Max Elixir(If you can Kiawe you shouldn't need to accelerate that many energeies.)
-1 Choice Band(4 is unnecessary in most decks including this one.)

+2 Salandit
+2 Salazzle GX(Works really well once you've taken some prizes.)
+1 Tapu Lele GX(If you have it it helps find Kiawe and other supporters.)
+3 Switch(With Swicth you can use Choice Band.)
+1 Guzma(3 is becoming a standard for a lot of decks, and if you haven't used a supporter it can act as a Switch card.)

Here is my deck list if you need more ideas.

Pokemon: 15

3 Ho Oh GX
2 Salandit
2 Salazzle GX
2 Volcanion EX
1 Volcanion
1 Turtonator GX
3 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers: 31

Items
2 Max Elixir
3 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
3 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Field Blower

Supporter
3 Guzma
4 N
4 Professor Sycamore
3 Kiawe

Energy: 14

14 Fire Energy

I used your suggestions but did in addition the following changes:
- 1 Tapu Lele (don't have 3)
- 1 Volcanion
+ 1 Salandit
+ 1 Salazzle GX

I like running 3-3 because if one is priced you still have two. With so many accleration I thing two Volcanion are unnecessary.

I used your suggestions but did in addition the following changes:
- 1 Tapu Lele (don't have 3)
- 1 Volcanion
+ 1 Salandit
+ 1 Salazzle GX

I like running 3-3 because if one is priced you still have two. With so many accleration I thing two Volcanion are unnecessary.

If the deck plays as intended, you're only going to need 1 Salazzle GX anyway. The idea is to take 4 prizes with Ho-Oh GX, then be able to hit for 200 + 30 with Choice Band to OHKO everything up to Gardevoir GX for only 2 energy to close the game. Anything less than 4 prizes and you might as well just use Volcanion EX, steam up, and hit for 160 or 190 Choice Banded.

If things go poorly, you probably won't be using Salazzle GX at all, so dropping a 3/3 line will be a bit too much deck space dedicated to your final few turns as well as increasing your Salandit starting odds. Hitting for 110/140 early game doesn't really help you, and with counter energy/counter catcher on the horizon, you do not want to get used to taking 1 prize knockouts. I believe the 2/2 line is best.

If the deck plays as intended, you're only going to need 1 Salazzle GX anyway. The idea is to take 4 prizes with Ho-Oh GX, then be able to hit for 200 + 30 with Choice Band to OHKO everything up to Gardevoir GX for only 2 energy to close the game. Anything less than 4 prizes and you might as well just use Volcanion EX, steam up, and hit for 160 or 190 Choice Banded.

If things go poorly, you probably won't be using Salazzle GX at all, so dropping a 3/3 line will be a bit too much deck space dedicated to your final few turns as well as increasing your Salandit starting odds. Hitting for 110/140 early game doesn't really help you, and with counter energy/counter catcher on the horizon, you do not want to get used to taking 1 prize knockouts. I believe the 2/2 line is best.
Okay, then my Pokemon are:
3 Ho Oh GX
2 Volcanion EX
2 Volcanion
1 Turtonator GX
2-2 Salazzle GX

I have a free slot cause I can't use 3 Tapu-Lele GX. Which card would be the best instead?

I'd probably put that extra slot towards another Float Stone since you're already running 2. You absolutely need to have a free retreat pivot for Switch/Guzma, so going up to 3 Float Stone will help that.

Back