JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Hisuian Basculin and Hisuian Basculegion have been revealed from the Japanese set Dark Phantasma, which will release in Japan on May 13th. We expect these cards to become part of our August set, Lost Origin!
Hisuian Basculin – Water – HP50
Basic Pokemon
[.] Surprise Attack: 40 damage. Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing.
Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Hisuian Basculin – Water – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Hisuian Basculin
[.] Spirit Climb: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage for each basic...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
Hisuian basculin - free, thats good. 50/50 based attack should ohko evolving mons. But doesn’t do that. 50 hp is low. Lightning weakness is decent, nothing relevant happens with it. 1 rc is standard. Grade: 1/5 low hp pre evo that attacks for free

Hisuian basculegion - 110 is extremly low. Free attack would be nice to reduce deck space on the energy front but the attack is unsynergistic with the cost. How many energies do we play to make this work and how do we get em discarded? Kingdra had this in 2009 and was good but that was because it also had an attack that was good that was conditional on discarding from hand. So the attack was more like a bonus that could OHKO and get back energies. This doesn’t have the reason to put itself into the deck with a good main attack.
If we want to use it as the build around then we will probably play 4-4 evs eldegoss and researches. But is that enough? Don’t think so. Second attack is trash, might be accessable if ur aiming for 2hkos and play 4 belts. Grade: 2/5 interesting attack that lacks identity in how to be played greatly

Johnrods

Aspiring Trainer
Bro, when i gona see a good lighiting pokémon? every single type have a realy good v-star but lighting its forget

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
A lot like Volcarona V, which is one of the strongest decks in Expanded. Comparing the two...

Basculegion Pros: 1 Prize.
Basculegion Cons: Stage 1, does 20 less damage, and is more vulnerable to spread damage.

The main attacker being stage 1 means your more afraid of ADP since you can't attack until your second turn, but I suppose one workaround would be to go all in with Archie's Ace in the Hole since you'd be using 4 Battle Compressors, 4 Ultra Balls, and a Computer Search anyway, and after the first cheated out Basculegion you can manually evolve the rest so your supporter for turns afterward can go to Boss/Guzma or Ranger... you can also opt to just run a Volcarona V or 2 in the deck as well for the first attack, and hell you'd be better off using fire energies since the attack cost is free and fire energy means you can abuse Fiery Flint, Giant Hearth, and Heat Factory.

Considering Volcarona V has had very little impact on Standard, I'm not sure how much better this will do... on the bright side no ADP means it being 1 prize is more significant, but on the negative side it's much harder to hit high numbers back to back. You're better off just running Rapid Strike Malamar in standard, as the deck has less bricking, an easier time powering up every turn, and also hits a better weakness for when you can't power up too much or don't want to dump all your resources (which isn't even an option for Basculegion).

Last edited:

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
4 Quick Ball, 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Zoroark, 4 Liepard, Research, etc. seeing as Rotation isn't for a few months still.

It's not the best, but it's also not the absolute worst either.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
We really need a Battle Compressor reprint, if anything for energies only to make cards like this one viable. Dump 4-5 energies from deck would be fair.

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
4 Quick Ball, 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Zoroark, 4 Liepard, Research, etc. seeing as Rotation isn't for a few months still.

It's not the best, but it's also not the absolute worst either.

These won't come out until rotation just before or at rotation though. These will likely never see any serious play.

TheNidoKing

Aspiring Trainer
Hisuian basculin - free, thats good. 50/50 based attack should ohko evolving mons. But doesn’t do that. 50 hp is low. Lightning weakness is decent, nothing relevant happens with it. 1 rc is standard. Grade: 1/5 low hp pre evo that attacks for free

Hisuian basculegion - 110 is extremly low. Free attack would be nice to reduce deck space on the energy front but the attack is unsynergistic with the cost. How many energies do we play to make this work and how do we get em discarded? Kingdra had this in 2009 and was good but that was because it also had an attack that was good that was conditional on discarding from hand. So the attack was more like a bonus that could OHKO and get back energies. This doesn’t have the reason to put itself into the deck with a good main attack.
If we want to use it as the build around then we will probably play 4-4 evs eldegoss and researches. But is that enough? Don’t think so. Second attack is trash, might be accessable if ur aiming for 2hkos and play 4 belts. Grade: 2/5 interesting attack that lacks identity in how to be played greatly
Ideally, I'd play it with Battle Styles Cherrim and Sword and Shield Maractus. Load up Maractus with energy, play until it's KO'd, then come in with Hisuian Basculegion to put all the energy back in the deck. After rotation it would work with Battle Styles Tapu Bulu. Use Cherrim to put 3 grass energy on Bulu, attack (discarding all 3) for 160 (on a single prize basic over 120 HP, that's not bad), and then come in with Basculegion to put the energy back in the deck.

What I like about Basculegion (compared to Volcarola V) is that it's a free attack. You don't have to play fire energy at all, which means it can fit in any color deck. 4/5 for me.

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
Ideally, I'd play it with Battle Styles Cherrim and Sword and Shield Maractus. Load up Maractus with energy, play until it's KO'd, then come in with Hisuian Basculegion to put all the energy back in the deck. After rotation it would work with Battle Styles Tapu Bulu. Use Cherrim to put 3 grass energy on Bulu, attack (discarding all 3) for 160 (on a single prize basic over 120 HP, that's not bad), and then come in with Basculegion to put the energy back in the deck.

What I like about Basculegion (compared to Volcarola V) is that it's a free attack. You don't have to play fire energy at all, which means it can fit in any color deck. 4/5 for me.
cute and fun idea, there exist a wincondition that is "doable" like salazle unown was. the issues are that everything else finishing their win conditions before you and your gameplan is fragile to more than one ko each turn from your opponent

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I see Basculegion as a tech card, not as a center of your deck. The problem on Basculegion is looping that dmg. You burn so much cards just to 220 in one turn, and you have to do it again, and it is just awkward since you might not use those burned resources in the future. I see Basculegion as another Zoroark variant of some sort (Sucks, we don't have Ditto.).