JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Hisuian Growlithe, Hisuian Arcanine, and Phione have been revealed from the Japanese set Dark Phantasma, which will release in Japan on May 13th. We expect these cards to become part of our August set, Lost Origin!
Phione – Water – HP70
Basic Pokemon
[W] Beach Party – Search your deck for up to 3 Basic [W] Pokemon and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.
[W] Wave Splash: 20 damage.
Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Hisuian Growlithe – Fighting – HP70
Basic Pokemon
[.] Singe: Your opponent’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Phione - meh. 2
H.Growlithe/Arcanine - Granbull but for free. Except tricks that Granbull has back then, isn't the same here. 3/4

huupie2

Aspiring Trainer
Phione - meh. 2
H.Growlithe/Arcanine - Granbull but for free. Except tricks that Granbull has back then, isn't the same here. 3/4
Magcargo/oranguru and diantha really made that deck tick huh? We have bibbarel to draw, and meowth to discard now though. Those combined with free attack could make it work?

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Magcargo/oranguru and diantha really made that deck tick huh? We have bibbarel to draw, and meowth to discard now though. Those combined with free attack could make it work?
Meowth will rotate before we get this. Bibarel would draw too much, most likely.

A Diantha analog would be nice, but Hisuian Arcanine isn't without its tools, though.

It has Peony, Grant, and Switching Cups for starters. Cards like Altaria EVS might be decent for it, too. It may even be able to abuse Cram-o-matic.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
I think this Arcanine would be good for Psychic decks to counter Dark decks,especially it can attack for free

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
So Granbull is back. There's the small problem that Vstar only give 2 prizes and you still need 2 hits to KO them, so this deck will likely need to target benched support like Lumineon to work. Its typing goes a long way tho, because it OHKOs Arceus... If you can get rid of Dunsparce first.

We lost Oranguru, but Kricketune still exists. Sure, you can't draw multiple times per turn but it's serviceable. The big problem is that we lack a Magcargo replacement. So the deck relies on hard drawing Peony for follow-ups or using Switching Cups to set something on top for the next turn. Not having to use energy is very helpful, but the retreat heavy nature of your bench sitters is a big deal when you can't consistently search for Air Balloon when you need it.

Karsty

Aspiring Trainer
Oh this Arcanine looks fun, seems like it might work better in expanded tho. Art work is amazing to.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
So Granbull is back. There's the small problem that Vstar only give 2 prizes and you still need 2 hits to KO them, so this deck will likely need to target benched support like Lumineon to work. Its typing goes a long way tho, because it OHKOs Arceus... If you can get rid of Dunsparce first.

We lost Oranguru, but Kricketune still exists. Sure, you can't draw multiple times per turn but it's serviceable. The big problem is that we lack a Magcargo replacement. So the deck relies on hard drawing Peony for follow-ups or using Switching Cups to set something on top for the next turn. Not having to use energy is very helpful, but the retreat heavy nature of your bench sitters is a big deal when you can't consistently search for Air Balloon when you need it.
Altaria can be used to search out Peony to grap the trainer cards that you need.

10types

Aspiring Trainer
Presumably this will be out pre-rotation for a little while so Arcanine with galarian meowth and oranguru and stuff could be strong

Edsylan

Aspiring Trainer
I think this Arcanine would be good for Psychic decks to counter Dark decks,especially it can attack for free
except that hissuian samurott vstar, darkrai vstar, galarian moltres v and malamar vmax, you know, the dark attackers you probably want to counter, are all weak to grass.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
How much you wanna bet we're not gonna get a Hisuian Arcanine VSTAR even though it completely deserves it after not having a single Ultra Rare in 26 years

EDIT: Sorry I lied, I totally forgot about Arcanine ex from Legend Maker (and technically Arcanine BREAK) - BUT STILL.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
except that hissuian samurott vstar, darkrai vstar, galarian moltres v and malamar vmax, you know, the dark attackers you probably want to counter, are all weak to grass.
Oh god right Dark is now weak to Grass I was dumb again

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Phione - meh. 2
Peony and Altaria are legal ;)

Anyway I don't see this being a "meta" deck by any means following rotation, but for World's format (assuming they don't rotate right before World's), it seems pretty cool! With Altaria/Oranguru/Peony, it's super easy to dump your hand and do 220/250 damage with Hawlucha and Choice Belt (and Grant). I really loved Granbull when it was around so I hope for this card to see at least some success.

Last edited:

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Having to use a supporter to get to the cards you want is a problem. As I already mentioned, decks like this need to target the bench to get a reasonable prize trade going on, and that means that you want to use Boss Orders. So having to choose between two important cards hurts a deck that wants to keep streaming KOs, meaning it wants to recycle attackers, setup new ones, gust on its own and counter the opponent's setup. Granbull had Magcargo to help with that, this doesn't and Altaria is not nearly as powerful a replacement.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
We didn't think Granbull would work, but someone made it work and it became a staple. We can DEFINITELY make this work. There are plenty of discarding cards+ ways to build your hand back up again. The only issue I'm seeing is Damage. Back when Granbull was meta, the average HP was around 210. And Granbull resisted one of the most common attacks, Zoroark GX "riotous beating." I'm sure this Arcanine will see play and someone is going to make this work

ShinyNoivern

Noivern is a cool Pokemon
So did anybody else notice that a bunch of the new Hisuian Pokemon have free attacks? And a can't recall one Pokemon with a free attack from any Sword/Shield set.