Hints at Next Years Rotation

Danglesmcjangles

Spice Master General
Does the inclusion of sycamore in Breakpoint hint that Phantom Forces might also be rotated next year? I know many people suspected it couldn't be because of the staples in PHF but maybe this is the first of many that will be reprinted from that set. Losing Manectric (PHF), Yveltal (XY), and Toad (FUF) would surely be an interesting shift in the meta.

I am on the side of XY purely because I am hoping we don't get XY-PHF Rotated. I just want us to follow BW.

I know we'd lose a large amount of staple cards, but didn't we last rotation too? X-ball mewtwo, laserbank, flareon, garbodor, keldeo/blastoise etc. I'm all for another rotation like that just because I love massive meta-shifts where everyone is thrown off and nobody knows what to do because suddenly literally everything is a rogue deck.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reprinted cards like the Night March trio though, or "reprinted" (like Keldeo-EX -> Zoroark / Raikou, X-Ball Mewtwo-EX -> Lugia-EX, M Mewtwo-EX Y) things like Yveltal-EX, M Manectric-EX, Lucario-EX.

we might get a set like legendary treasures for xy 11 and if so i predict yveltal and xerneas both the baby and the ex's to be reprinted

Because of how great a card Battle Compressor is right now, I would hope they don't rotate PHF. That card is amazing in so many decks. I think XY-FUF would rotate a good amount of cards, getting rid of Yveltal and Toad and shaking the meta up a bit.

I'm also hoping Expanded becomes XY-on.

Because of how great a card Battle Compressor is right now, I would hope they don't rotate PHF. That card is amazing in so many decks. I think XY-FUF would rotate a good amount of cards, getting rid of Yveltal and Toad and shaking the meta up a bit.

I like Xy-FUF rotated. It will remove the advantage of fire and fighting types but we would need something new. As long as toad is gone, I'm happy.

I agree with XY-on for Expanded.

However, Battle Compressor probably shouldn't exist in a format with VS Seeker. Losing that and Night March is probably a healthy move for the game overall. I also think that we could stand to lose Manectric-EX and Bats in the process. There would be some unfortunate casualties if we lost PHF, such as Aegislash-EX, Wobbuffet, AZ, Xerosic and Dimension Valley, but the game can move on from those.

Sycamore, VS Seeker, Lysandre, and Ultra Ball have all been reprinted, so the core of every deck with stay intact. About the only thing that would need a reprint is DCE.

I personally feel like Battle Compressor as opened up much creativity and has allowed more non-EX decks to thrive over EX decks, which is why I would be sad to see Phantom Forces go. I'd also think that Xerosic is a very vital card if Garbodor ever decides to take the stage with some form of item lock, so I do hope that doesn't rotate without a reprint.

Cards I wouldn't mind seeing leave Standard format.

- Crushing Hammer
Reasoning - With being able to circulate these type of trainers from a milotic and other item cards (expanded), I just think they can overwhelm opponents to fast. It really only takes 2 heads to set the opponent back for two or three rounds. It is the reason single card attachment attacks or more viable in the game. Taking out crushing hammer, Pokemon will bring more diverse decks.

- Seismitoad EX
Reasoning - I don't mind item lock, but on a 180hp pokemon for a DCE, it appears a bit overpowered. I believe that it offsets the game a bit. You can see that with the dominance it still has on the game.

- Battle Compressor -- Without LTC, battle compressor has forced trainers to play weakness decks such as yveltal against night march. One without the other has created dominant variants that more often than not shut down play early for the opponent. I believe a balance format should strive to get players to round 3, that is 3 turns apiece.

Disclaimer -- Won't be rotated.
- Garbodor - If Garbodor was a stage 2, I get it. Stage 2's are hard to get out and require complicated methods. For a single tool, and a stage one evolution onto the bench, the game does not give a reason to evolve, or even try to use the break method. Pokemon gave us great stage 2 cards + break cards and eliminated all of them with the next set. Garbodor is back. I find that to be slightly agitating. It makes me wonder if they listen to the players because I know I'm not the only one with gripes on this card.

- Crobat line -
Reasoning -- I love this line. But anytime I see a line where it is in every deck, I have to set my feelings aside: Crobat/Seismitoad, Crobat/Manetric, Crobat/Landorous, Crobat/MewTwo, Crobat/Lacario... so on. so on. so on. Try it with Crobat. With this line in the format, I don't see diversity in the decks. I see Crobat/Golbat/Zubat

Super Scoop --
Reasoning -- I would get it if there were no single energy attackers that could do devastating harm to a pokemon or a deck. But pokemon has devastating attackers for a single card attachment. If the cards went to the discard that would be different, but to the hand? Plus you can circulate the card from the discard. It really only takes two heads with these card to completely set the opponent back for multiple rounds.

Strong Energy --
Reasoning -- I love this card. But it is the only, save for dce, that is played in the Special Energy line. The rotation of this card will balance the game some. Either make this a special energy card for every deck, or come up with better special energies for the meta.

Alright those are my gripes. Just a disclaimer, I play all these cards because I find them to be some of the most broken cards in the standard format. Plus, just like you, I look for the advantages too. I'm not above it all. But I do notice what's tearing down the game a bit.

I believe they actually are doing another reprint set, and so it doesn't particularly matter where they rotate if they can just bring back particular playable cards that would otherwise be rotating out. Kind of like how Mewtwo and Darkrai stayed in format for four years.

I also think that Battle Compressor adds a creative element to the game. Without it, Archie and Maxie would just not be viable in my opinion. That and it allows for Energy-accelerating decks to operate out of the discard, things like Vespiquen, etc.

I would also be happy to see the end of Bats. If only because I find Bat decks incredibly dull to watch.

If it was legal on PB I would be taking and placing bets on what rotation will be, my cards (FA mega ray and unplayed FA shaymin EX ROS) are on Primal clash on if PB DOES do a taking of bets or something. There is NO reason it should not be PRC on as it's so predictable after they cut to BCR on last year.

If it was legal on PokéBeach I would be taking and placing bets on what rotation will be, my cards (FA mega ray and unplayed FA shaymin EX ROS) are on Primal clash on if PokéBeach DOES do a taking of bets or something. There is NO reason it should not be PRC on as it's so predictable after they cut to BCR on last year.

Cutting off Primal Clash doesn't really make sense to me, at least at this point of time. Cutting off Ancient Traits already, for starters, doesn't really make sense to me. It's also is full of great consistency cards and other staples, and I don't really see them wanting to reprint all of them just yet (unlike Phantom Forces, which most of its staples have been).

Cutting off Primal Clash doesn't really make sense to me, at least at this point of time. Cutting off Ancient Traits already, for starters, doesn't really make sense to me. It's also is full of great consistency cards and other staples, and I don't really see them wanting to reprint all of them just yet (unlike Phantom Forces, which most of its staples have been).
I mean that Primal clash on would be legal.

I mean that Primal clash on would be legal.

Honestly it's what makes the most sense to me too. You're cutting out maybe 4 sets which is a nice number to drop (rotation every year, 4 sets each year etc etc), and with PCL being the ORAS set we're essentially going from XY-on to ORAS-on.

last year we were rotated by 5 sets so 3 sounds fair. It doesn't seem worth while to rotate expanded, there is still a ton of interesting cards to play b-w on.

The usual disclaimer: it is way, way, way early to be predicting how rotation will go down. We have at least two sets before it happens, right? If it lines up with the last few, we'll have two sets and a third either just dropped or about to drop. I'm just engaging in speculation for enjoyment and because sometimes it brings up great side topics.

Actually the side topic real quick: remember to look at the net benefit of a card to the game. Battle Compressor strikes me as the kind of card that might hurt as much as it helps. Short version; people are already mentioning the innovative uses for it, but how many of those are just used to reinforce "same old same old"? Now losing Battle Compressor might be a horrible, horrible thing. No surprise; I am neither knowledgeable nor talented enough to perform a serious analysis of that. Just some food for thought.

Reprints can sometimes suggest where the cut off will occur, but they sometimes happen because

1) There is a variant version of the card that TPCi has the rights to release and at least a certain segment of the fandom wants even the seemingly boring additional releases to make it out of Japan.

2) Some cards need to be re-released more than others. Whether I love or hate what a particular card has done to the environment, if players need it to be even remotely competitive, I want it reasonably available. You think it is bad getting a Shaymin-EX (ROS) right now? Pokémon Catcher originally did not require a coin flip; it was an Item with the effect of Lysandre. It also released at a time when first turn attacks were allowed. Put two and two together and it was not only a staple, but usually as a three or four count. It also released in a set that had very few high demand cards. Prices pretty quickly went up because it wasn't cost efficient to pull it from boosters: we are talking $15 to $20 USD for a single Uncommon. Japan got a few extra re-releases of it but though it initially released here in BW: Emerging Powers (August 31, 2011), outside of Japan we only got the Secret Rare reprint three sets later in BW: Dark Explorers (May 9, 2012). Secret Rare cards do not generally expand supply enough for prices to go down and this was no exception. It wasn't until until BW: Plasma Blast (August 14th, 2013) nearly two years after its original release.

Oh and just to add insult to injury, it was announced around October 1st, 2013 that as of November 8th, 2013 that players could no longer attack the very first turn of the game and that Pokémon Catcher had received an errata so that it now required a coin flip, like the older card Pokémon Reversal. =P

So after all that, what about my own hopes/expectations? Not sure where I want the rotation to hit, but I don't expect the BW-era sets to get the axe from Expanded quite yet. Expanded has a massive card pool capable of massive cuts. Not the next rotation but the one after that I suspect all BW-era sets to get the axe at once.

This will be my fist full competitive rotation so I don't know what too expect. I sadly think Phantom Forces, possibly the most playable set and the set I started collecting, will be going on too expanded. I wonder if expanded would be something like BCR-set at the time. The evidence that is there is, think of all the reprints and secret rares in Primal Clash. Even from there, there is still VS seeker, Shaymin-EX, Ultra Ball, and Trainer's Mail which are standard in most standard decks. AOR brings Energy retrieval and Trainer's Mail (could also mean next 2 rotations are 3 sets for the trainers mail). BKT brings Float stone, super rod, Judge and skyla. BKP has fighting spirit belt (A.K.A. overpowered muscle band for basics), Garbodor (could be the end of my carrier), Sycamore, Tierno(not shauna, really pokemon?), and puzzle of time (overpowered dowsing machine). At this time is is really hard to tell exactly the rotation, but I think pokemon is going to be really annoying and get rid of the most playable XY set :(.

Hope all you want, but I do not see a universe where that happens. That would rotate 11 sets. The most sets to ever be rotated was in 2011 with 7 sets rotated. To my knowledge, it was Sebleye donk vs Sebleye donk. Unless one single deck gets that powerful, they will probably not rotate that many sets.

Back