Help With Blacephalon GX/Nagandel

HazelFrazel

Aspiring Trainer
I currently an trying to make a list but I am very stumped. Do you have any ideas for a blacephalon gx and naganadel (from lost thunder) list?

Moved thread from the Deck Garage to the Competitive Play Forum, because the OP is asking for a list, not providing their own and asking for advice~

This got 2nd at the Champion's League in Japan

Pokemon - 13
4 Blacephalon-GX LOT
4 Poipole LOT
3 Naganadel LOT
2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI

Trainer - 30
4 Sightseer
3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
1 Lillie
1 Kiawe
1 Plumeria
4 Ultra Ball
4 Beast Ring
3 Acro Bike
2 Mysterious Treasure
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Choice Band
2 Ultra Space
1 Heat Factory Prism Star

Energy - 17
16 Fire Energy
1 Beast Energy Prism Star

From testing I cut the Kiawe for a Multi Switch

To add to the list above, I've seen some lists opt for 1 copy of Reshiram GX.

Card text:

[1] Flame Charge
Search your deck for 2 basic Fire Energy card and attach them to this Pokemon. Then, shuffle your deck.

[1RRR] Scorching Pillar (110)
Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Burned.

[1RRR] Vermilion GX (180)
You may attach up to 5 Fire Energy from your hand to your Pokemon in any way you like. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Reshiram GX can be good for when you fail to set up Naganadels or fail to get enough energy into the discard pile for Naganadel. It's a 1 card self-sufficient energy accelerator that can stock up energy for Blacephalon to use. It also gives you a GX attack that can OHKO the mirror without sending energy to the Lost Zone.

The risk with this, of course, is losing 2 prizes to a KO and still not having Naganadel set up to even get the energy back.

I've also seen lists opt for 1-2 Spell Tag. Blacephalon GX falls apart if there are no Naganadels accelerating energy, so you can stick on Spell Tags to them to punish your opponent for focusing Naganadel.

I would also consider playtesting 1-2 Shuckle to stock your discard pile in case you have Naganadels but no energy available in discard. Bench space is kind of tight though, so I'd say pick between Reshiram GX and Shuckle as a back up source of energy assistance.

To add to the list above, I've seen some lists opt for 1 copy of Reshiram GX.

Card text:

[1] Flame Charge
Search your deck for 2 basic Fire Energy card and attach them to this Pokemon. Then, shuffle your deck.

[1RRR] Scorching Pillar (110)
Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Burned.

[1RRR] Vermilion GX (180)
You may attach up to 5 Fire Energy from your hand to your Pokemon in any way you like. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Reshiram GX can be good for when you fail to set up Naganadels or fail to get enough energy into the discard pile for Naganadel. It's a 1 card self-sufficient energy accelerator that can stock up energy for Blacephalon to use. It also gives you a GX attack that can OHKO the mirror without sending energy to the Lost Zone.

The risk with this, of course, is losing 2 prizes to a KO and still not having Naganadel set up to even get the energy back.

I've also seen lists opt for 1-2 Spell Tag. Blacephalon GX falls apart if there are no Naganadels accelerating energy, so you can stick on Spell Tags to them to punish your opponent for focusing Naganadel.

I would also consider playtesting 1-2 Shuckle to stock your discard pile in case you have Naganadels but no energy available in discard. Bench space is kind of tight though, so I'd say pick between Reshiram GX and Shuckle as a back up source of energy assistance.
Yes, thank you, I will definitely add one or the other. Which one would you suggest?

Personally I agree with the Reshiram GX pick.

Having playtested a handful of Malamar variants, I can't tell you how many times I've failed to set up more than 1 Malamar over the course of 3-4 turns and lost because of it. This deck is fundamentally the same concept, except Naganadel is a viable non-GX attacker unlike Malamar, and Blacephalon GX is a lot easier to pilot when it can use energy on any Pokemon. But I digress.

Shuckle can stock your discard pile, but without the Naganadels to use the energy it's a dead card. Reshiram GX can single-handedly supply energy for Blacephalon GX even if you have to use your attack for turn on it.

Personally I agree with the Reshiram GX pick.

Having playtested a handful of Malamar variants, I can't tell you how many times I've failed to set up more than 1 Malamar over the course of 3-4 turns and lost because of it. This deck is fundamentally the same concept, except Naganadel is a viable non-GX attacker unlike Malamar, and Blacephalon GX is a lot easier to pilot when it can use energy on any Pokemon. But I digress.

Shuckle can stock your discard pile, but without the Naganadels to use the energy it's a dead card. Reshiram GX can single-handedly supply energy for Blacephalon GX even if you have to use your attack for turn on it.
Yes. Thank You.

Shuckle is not needed in Blacephalon Naganadel decks. Between Ultra Ball, Mysterious Treasure, and Acro Bike there is a sufficient amount of cards that allow you to discard energies to fuel Naganadel. On top of that you also have Sightseer and Heat Factory Prism Star to draw and discard. The only thing I would change in the winning list is to replace Choice Band and Kiawe for two more Lillie and replace one Tapu Lele GX with a non-Ultra Beast non-GX fire attacker that can deal damage for low costs. Moltres comes to mind here. You can deal with Sceptile using Moltres and Plumeria. I assume this is the reason why Pulmeria has been included in thewinning list.

Shuckle is not needed in Blacephalon Naganadel decks. Between Ultra Ball, Mysterious Treasure, and Acro Bike there is a sufficient amount of cards that allow you to discard energies to fuel Naganadel. On top of that you also have Sightseer and Heat Factory Prism Star to draw and discard. The only thing I would change in the winning list is to replace Choice Band and Kiawe for two more Lillie and replace one Tapu Lele GX with a non-Ultra Beast non-GX fire attacker that can deal damage for low costs. Moltres comes to mind here. You can deal with Sceptile using Moltres and Plumeria. I assume this is the reason why Pulmeria has been included in thewinning list.
Do you think I should add a Moltres or a Reshiram GX

I mentioned Shuckle since Ray/Zeraora also runs a similarly large energy pool, but frankly I almost always need to play shuckle to get the energy I need in order to have 5 in the discard for Zeraora's GX attack - but since this deck doesn't ever have the need or capacity to burst 5 energy out of discard, yes it is pretty unnecessary.

I also just realized that there isn't a single copy of Fiery Flint in here. Combined with Sightseer/Ultra Ball/Mysterious Treasure, I feel like that would be a better card to play. I would personally play test removing 1-2 Acro Bike and add 1-2 Fiery Flint.

Pokemon - 14
4 Blacephalon-GX LOT
4 Poipole LOT
3 Naganadel LOT
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1 Reshiram GX Dragon's Majesty
1 Moltres Lost Thunder

Trainer - 29
4 Sightseer
3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
2 Lillie
4 Ultra Ball
4 Beast Ring
2 Acro Bike
2 Mysterious Treasure
2 Fiery Flint
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Ultra Space

Energy - 17
16 Fire Energy

Here's a list I would work with, taking into account Dark Espeon's remarks as well.

I mentioned Shuckle since Ray/Zeraora also runs a similarly large energy pool, but frankly I almost always need to play shuckle to get the energy I need in order to have 5 in the discard for Zeraora's GX attack - but since this deck doesn't ever have the need or capacity to burst 5 energy out of discard, yes it is pretty unnecessary.

I also just realized that there isn't a single copy of Fiery Flint in here. Combined with Sightseer/Ultra Ball/Mysterious Treasure, I feel like that would be a better card to play. I would personally play test removing 1-2 Acro Bike and add 1-2 Fiery Flint.

Pokemon - 14
4 Blacephalon-GX LOT
4 Poipole LOT
3 Naganadel LOT
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI
1 Reshiram GX Dragon's Majesty
1 Moltres Lost Thunder

Trainer - 29
4 Sightseer
3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
2 Lillie
4 Ultra Ball
4 Beast Ring
2 Acro Bike
2 Mysterious Treasure
2 Fiery Flint
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Ultra Space

Energy - 17
16 Fire Energy

Here's a list I would work with, taking into account Dark Espeon's remarks as well.

Thanks. I am going to play test this list and take it to my next cup when Lost Thunder is legal.
But do you really think that 2 Fiery Flint is needed. And also, do you think 3 Guzma would be beneficial?

I think Fiery Flint is a good card, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's needed. I haven't playtested the deck myself yet so I can't say for certain, but it does have some clear synergies in the deck.

1. It makes Sightseer/Ultra Ball/Mysterious Treasure better. If you see lots of discard outlets in your hand, play Flint, then play Sightseer to discard all of those energies. Now your Naganadels have some juice for a few turns even if things go bad for a bit. It also provides some gas for Heat Factory Prism Star. I'd say the optimal useage of Flint is to attach 1 of the 4 energy, Heat Factory 1 more to draw 3 cards, then discard the other 2.

2. It makes Reshiram GX's GX attack better. Playing Flint then GX attacking will put a ton of energy on the board for Blacephalon GX to use. This one is a bit more situational but still a thing.

3. It thins your deck faster than Acro Bike. SPECIFICALLY pulling out 4 energy from the deck and allocating them the way you want and then playing a draw supporter means that you are more likely to hit other resources like Beast Ring, more Naganadels, and your Stadium cards.

As for Guzma...I would prefer 3 copies personally, but it's not a deal breaker to run 2.

I think these things are conceptually sound, but not necessarily useful or needed in application. All comes down to playtesting. I don't think that this decklist is final (I don't think any decklist is ever final), but it's a starting point which is better than nothing.

Back