• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Help needed with Sceptile EX/Ariados Deck

Jack Saunders

Aspiring Trainer
Just kinda threw this deck together how can I improve?

Deck List:
Pokemon:
3xSceptile EX
2Spinarak
2Ariados
2larvesta
1Volcarona
1Remoraid
1Octillery

Trainers:
4N
2prof. Sycamore
3Lysandre
1Shauna
1Teammates
1Prof. Birch's Ob.
1Pkm Center Lady
1Karen
2VS Seeker
4ultra balls
3 level balls
1pokeball
2fighting fury belt
1Switch
2Escape rope
3profs letter
2 energy retrieval
1 Energy Recycler
1 max Elixir
1 Evosoda
1 Paint Roller
1 Trainers' Mail

Energy:
9 Grass Energy

I know it's bad but I would like to improve it and I don't know all the cards that could well with it. Any help is appreciated

Don't play lots of different trainers, definitively not lots of different supports; you won't rely on luck. All you need is a couple of balls and your N or sycamore to get the pokemon you need. Also try to get some choice band to hit harder and a pair of float stones.
You can also play Aether stadium or Forest of Giant Plants. (or both)
The deck is solid by itself but maybe you could get a pair of Lurantis Promo to deal more damage. If you do, you could try removing the Octilery which is good but not that good with this deck. Usually Octilery is made for slow decks who need a "hand" lol. You may need a pair of revitalizers or rods/stretcher in case you get knock out or you just discard any evolution with sycamore or ultra ball. And totally remove the Volcarona, focus on Sceptile only.

As was mentioned above, you have way too many 1 ofs of trainers. This will hurt your consistency a ton. Here is how I would change up the deck:
Add a volcarona or cut a larvesta. Having an uneven line is almost always bad because if you play the first volcarona then the 2nd Larvesta is basically a dead card. Octillary is fine but if you have the money to spend, Shaymin and Lele are much better cards.

As for trainers her is what I would cut:
Shauna / Birch's - Sycamore and N are way better. Add a 3rd Sycamore instead. The extra card should be another VS Seeker or Trainer's Mail to improve consistency.
Pokeball and 1 Level Ball- The coin flip makes Pokeball a really awful card. You have enough search as it is, so I think a level Ball could be dropped as well. I'd replace them with 2 stadiums. Silent Lab, FOGP, and Aether all work well, personally I would go with Silent Lab. If you really find you need more I'd add in one Pokémon Fan Club or Brigette.
1 Lysandre - 3 is too much IMO, cutting one for a VS Seeker will give you more versatility as you can use any supporter you've discarded with it.
Max Elixir - Almost always going to fail since you are running only 9 energy. Max Elixir decks tend to run 14 or 15 to ensure the card hits 90%-95% of the time. I'd cut it for another Trainer's Mail or VS Seeker. You really want to run 4 of each to ensure consistency in the deck.
Paint Roller - Kinda a bad card. I'd replace it with a 3rd stadium. Silent Lab, FOGP, and Aether are all solid options.
1 Prof's Letter and Energy Recycler - Your optimal attacker in Sceptile only needs 2 energy, so this much energy search / retrieval is overkill. 2 each of Letter and Retrieval should be enough. I'd replace these cards with 2 more Trainer's Mail.
PCL - personally I find it to be a weak card. I'd swap it for Olympia personally.

Needs Forrest of giant plants not aether paradise people seem to forget that's only for basics
Sceptile is a Basic though. Also Forest would only be useful for Ariados, I think Aether Paradise or Silent Lab is the better option here.

Sceptile is a Basic though. Also Forest would only be useful for Ariados, I think Aether Paradise or Silent Lab is the better option here.
Ahh but if he plays it right he will use lurantis and aether is bad mostly just cuz it's passive all the need is field blower,delinquent,or there own stadium so for it to be worth it you need like 4. Also I was thinking mega sceptile so that was my bad.

Ahh but if he plays it right he will use lurantis and aether is bad mostly just cuz it's passive all the need is field blower,delinquent,or there own stadium so for it to be worth it you need like 4. Also I was thinking mega sceptile so that was my bad.
Yeah, that is a problem with APCA. If Lurantis is used then I agree, Forest becomes the better option :)

I will bite. Here are two different decks. One is a budget deck similar to what you have. The other is a more optimized list, but would cost you a lot more to build.

Here is the budget list. There are 4 slots you can play whatever you find good.
Pokemon (12)
4 Sceptile EX
3 Spinarak
2 Ariados
1 Remoraid
1 Octillery
1 Oranguru

Trainers (33)
4 N
3 Prof. Sycamore
3 Lysandre
1 Olympia
1 Hex Maniac
1 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
2 Level Ball / Trainer's Mail
2 Field Blower
1 Super Rod
1 Revitalizer

4 Aether Paradise Convention Center

3 Fighting Fury Belt / Choice Band
2 Float Stone

Energy (9)
9 Grass Energy

Here is the optimized list that is *not* budget friendly.
Pokemon (18)
4 Sceptile EX
3 Spinarak
2 Ariados
2 Tapu Lele GX
3 Fomantis
2 Lurantis Promo
1 Lurantis GX
1 Oranguru

Trainers (33)
4 N
3 Prof. Sycamore
3 Lysandre
1 Olympia
1 Hex Maniac
1 Pokemon Fan Club
4 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
2 Field Blower
1 Super Rod
1 Revitalizer

4 Aether Paradise Convention Center

3 Fighting Fury Belt / Choice Band
2 Float Stone

Energy (9)
9 Grass Energy

FYI, this deck is going to struggle against 4 of the top decks in the format due to Ariados frequently being unable to poison: Buluvolt, Deciplume, Vespiquen, and Lurantis variants are all going to beat it pretty handily IMO.

Yes, I agree with this deck having some struggle against some good decks out there since they run plant type. Another variant to this deck is to be played with Salazzle which burns and poisons when you evolve it from Salandit. But you gonna need devolution spay.

Back