Haymaker

Can Haymaker keep up with the format?

• Total voters
Doubtful. It can't dish out very much damage without high preperation. Rampardos can dish out 80 t1. The best haymaker can do is 60 T2 (Syther). It also has low HP (big must)

How can a deck from the first three sets possibly compete with stuff that can do 60 damage and 20 snipe for 1 energy, do 200 for 2 energy, put damage on any Pokemon that's already on it, etc.? Yeah. I agree with you. There's no way.

If the next set somehow has a Fossil Dactyl reprint, YES WE CAN. But hey, if it did have a Fossil Dactyl reprint, why bother with Haymaker when you can have Mewtwo LV X and thus locking them completely?
For now, no, 20 for 1 is so last decade. Torchic PT can do that so much better.

Not to be negative, but I voted #3 on the poll. I mean, no HP count above 80. No damage above 60. And {G}{G}{C} for 30? Max 60? Can't keep up.

As everyone else said, Haymaker is obsolete. Back in its day, 20 for 1 was good. Now 40 for 1 is called average, and some of the biggest threats deal 80 damage for 1.

With fossil dactyl, it would still fail, on top of that, the new scyther is like the same thing, but hits for less energy, and rampardos owns it epicly, on top of that, say hello to macheap, I agree Soooooooo last century!

EDIT: Darn it! Ninja'd!

I would say that Haymaker would most probably never survive the format. Neither would Dark Pokemon (from Team Rocket). The attacks are less costly, the HP is far higher (there were only about 5-8 Pokemon that had over 100 HP) and it just can't keep up.

Hi folks,

In the old days Haymaker never was a specific deck based around pre-defined Pokémon. It was more of a general concept that presumed that trainers are used to foster the damage per time ratio of selected Basic Pokémon that are able to hit fast and somewhat hard for low energy costs. Now match this definition with the new Pokémon [SP] released in Platinum and Bonds to the End of Time. Guess one can see the similarities in the underlying structure. With that in mind I would say that Haymaker is on the rise again in the form of Pokémon [SP] decks. The basic concept and the functional possibilities of the former Haymaker decks - yes Haymaker was available in multiple forms in the old days using a rather diverse set of Basic Pokémon - do not deviate much at all from the currently available Pokémon [SP] themes.

Nothing more exciting then getting everything you need in your hand. Getting Electibuzz out and killing that rain dance deck T2. I miss the old days.

Charizard was just a reprint, but that doesn't mean Chartran can't work. Heh.

I'd say Haymaker was the best deck back in Base. Now, it's just for collectors, and can't work in the T1/T2 environment, The T2 decks are modern Haymaker anyway. Kingdra/Machamp/Rampardos donk for 1/2 Energy? Sounds a lot like Scyther, Electabuzz, and Hitmonchan back in the day.

dmaster out.

Back